Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 2024 Rides
Reply #555 - 08/17/24 at 05:02:03

There are definitely good roads to ride here.  The miles tend to add up a bit as these roads are going somewhere - you end up doing big loops and speed limits are 55 except when going through populated areas.  The really curvy roads are impossible to keep up to the speed limit of 55mph.

The Breaks Interstate Park is a very nice place to stay - Camper or Cabin or Tent. The name comes from the "break" in the mountain that allows water to pass through, and this occurs in only 3 places in Pine Mountain..........and the "interstate" comes from the location of the park being in both KY and VA.  the park is privately owned and not funded by State or Federal money. It looks pretty central to a lot of good riding areas - however there are a lot of good riding areas that are a bit too far away.  Pine Mountain is 125 miles long and offers great riding along the entire length.

Traffic on the roads was very light - but it was weekdays and this was the first week of school.  There were a considerable number of gravel and lumber trucks - coal goes by railroad from the few coal mines that are still working.  The trucks are not hard to get around when needed as they  slow down a lot on the uphill climbs and curves.

My front tire is nearing the end of it's service life - riding down these steep and curvy roads did put a lot of wear on each side of the tire from nearly constant braking while going downhill while riding double!  I bought a very affordable front tire just to get me through the summer - it is an older model Dunlop Roadsporrt 2 and doesn't have all the fancy water sipes or compounds of the new expensive tires.  It has turned out to be a really good tire for the way I ride - when I get home I will check the mileage and decide if I want to get this tire again.  I have a new Dunlop Roadsmart IV that I bought during the last tire shortage scare to install - I likely don't really need expensive tires as the cheaper ones are working realy well......I try to avoid riding in the rain and I may not need all their fancy (expensive) tread designs and compounds.  When you go riding on curvy mountain roads in the summer when temperatures approach 90 - the rubber just shreds away regardless of how expensive the tire was.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #556 - 08/17/24 at 08:20:02

Nice report Dave !   Cool

Thinking on cheep front tires , let me tell ya about the "CEAT" tire that came on the Super Meteor .    
I'm waiting for the back tire to wear out so I can change the tire and put the Belt drive on at the same time , but it's the front tire wearing out first.   I've never known of the front tire wearing out first before ! ...
The grip of the front is/was good , but at 6,500 miles the front is about gone , and the rear is headed for 10,000 to 12,000 miles or so , the chain should be toast by then too ?

If a ride to the "Back of the Dragon" materializes then I'm in "if at all possible" , and will be glad to operate as a staging area for long distance folks.  Smiley Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #557 - 08/18/24 at 18:39:53

The Back of the Dragon is Route 16 from Marion, Virginia north 41 miles to Tazewell, VA.

What is even more amazing is it keeps going north on Route 16 for hundreds of miles!  The map shows a great section between Tazewell, VA and Beckley, WV.  Then another great looking section up near Charleston, WV.  The road continues to be called "The Trail of Dragons" all the way up to Saint Mary's, Ohio.  For sure we need to ride the Back of the Dragon and then continue on up to Beckly, WV.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #558 - 08/19/24 at 22:05:55

Smiley  Cool  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #559 - 08/20/24 at 06:16:05

All of this is making me want to trailer my bike up north somewhere.  It been around 100° here the past several days and the heat index is up to 115° in the area.  Some cool 90° weather sounds wonderful!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #560 - 08/20/24 at 12:20:44

In the mountains it is high 70's/low 80's in the daytime, and dipping into the high 50's at night.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville/28771/daily-weather-forecast/3...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #561 - 08/20/24 at 12:27:22

MMRanch wrote on 08/17/24 at 08:20:02:
If a ride to the "Back of the Dragon" materializes then I'm in "if at all possible" , and will be glad to operate as a staging area for long distance folks.  Smiley Smiley

There really isn't a lot of time to assemble a big group ride before the roads get covered in wet leaves, and the roads crowded with "leaf lookers" crowding the roads with their Mini'Vans and SUV's.

The Breaks is a 6 hour and 5 minute distance for MM (359 miles) if you take the MapQuest route on highways and don't make any stops along the way!  My trip there is more like 200 miles and 4 hours without stops........my neighbor and I have been looking at places to ride in KY so we don't need to make the 7 hour trip to Robbinsville or the 9 hour trip to Suches.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #562 - 08/20/24 at 14:51:04

Dave wrote on 08/20/24 at 12:20:44:
In the mountains it is high 70's/low 80's in the daytime, and dipping into the high 50's at night.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville/28771/daily-weather-forecast/3...

Sounds fantastic!  Jealous!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #563 - 08/20/24 at 16:28:35

ThumperPaul wrote on 08/20/24 at 14:51:04:
Dave wrote on 08/20/24 at 12:20:44:

Sounds fantastic!  Jealous!

REALLY

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #564 - 08/20/24 at 18:49:19

Today was really comfortable in KY and doing yard work was pretty much sweat free!

We seem to be a bit low for some reason - currently at 9:41 PM it is 62 degrees, and the forecast low for tonight is 48!  That is the coolest night so far and the next two nights will be similar.

We will be back up to nightly lows in the 60s' after Wednesday.

We still have comfortable riding weather for a couple of months.  Riding into November is possible....however the good days are not as frequent as the end of the year approaches and and you need to dress warmer......riding in December is far less common.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #565 - 08/21/24 at 19:41:24

I still have my Son and Daughter-in law in the spare bedroom , but the other twin bed , bed room is available  if anybody wants to partake in a late September or early October day ride 'Fall Color Cruise' around the middle TN country side.  One day to get here's  , day two 'day ride' , day three back home is the sort of thing I like to do too.    

Let me know if anybody is interested in such ... I have a working bathroom and hot water in the house we're building that could be used for camping if Son and Daughter-in law are still using the spare bed room in a month , it's questionable right now.  

The Jack Daniel's BBQ is always the second weekend in Oct and the population of our county doubles for the week , but its an interesting time to go walk around the square .

Smiley

OctDriveway2023Zen2mp.jpg

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #566 - 08/22/24 at 04:17:48

MM:

Your driveway needs to be swept! Wink

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #567 - 08/22/24 at 18:39:05

I'll admit "Driving fast on a road like that makes me a little faint even to think about it" !   Roll Eyes
But
Its a "Leaf Looking Lane"  !    Cheesy
and there not all the same color either !!  Wink Wink

Putt , Putt , Look , Look , Putt , Putt , Putt , Look , Look , Look , repeat ! Smiley

Its about the time of year for me to get these roads ever day for a couple of months !  Cool

Za-rooom summer days  are  being replaced with Putt Putt Putt ... and that's OK !

This is my ride to town road , on roads like this a 350cc or a 110-125cc even ,  is better than a Goldwing  !

« Last Edit: 09/06/24 at 20:29:51 by MMRanch »  

2mp_backroadOct.jpg

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 12:03:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2024 Rides

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.