Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 2024 Rides
Reply #540 - 07/04/24 at 09:46:09

The Cherohala Mountain Trails is a simple and nice campground.  It does have breakfast and dinners available on Fri/Sat/Sunday, and it is a 10 minute ride to Tellico for the food nearby.  There is a wonderful bakery/deli in town - and good food and ice cream at the little burger stand along the creek going up to the Skyway.
https://cmtrails.com/

Tellico Plains is a couple hours closer to me (and MM) than it is to go over to Robbinsville/Deals Gap - however it seems most of the good riding requires that we ride the Cherohala Skyway to get to the areas we like to ride over by Deals Gap.  This adds a couple of hours of commuting on the Skyway each morning and then back at night.  My neighbor Bruce and I stayed there last summer for a couple of days - riding the Skyway home at night can get pretty cold and windy.   There are a few good rides around Tellico Plains - the loop over the Skyway to Deals Gap, then the Dragon and then 72 over to 411 and then south on 360 is a nice ride for a day.  Tellico Plains is on the west side of the mountains - so you need to ride east for an hour or more to get into the fun roads.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #541 - 07/04/24 at 20:38:24

Well the Iron Horse is only $18.00 each ... that seems reasonable enough to me.  

The Deals Gap might be too noisy on Race-Nite ?
And they want $40, per parking space for a car.   That might be OK if ya ride the bike with a tent strapped on it.

I think I want to cross the Cherohala Skyway in the day-light durning the afternoon when that cool mountain air feels good .  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #542 - 07/05/24 at 04:13:36

I believe the most reasonable and comfortable thing to do is camp at the Iron Horse and just ride up to Deals Gap for the races.

Staying at Deals Gap is no longer attractive to me.  It was good 12 years ago when I first went - it has gradually gotten too popular and hectic....and expensive.  I used to be able to park my car/trailer in their lot and sleep in the trailer and pay the camping price - now it is $40 a night to park.  The rooms are still somewhat reasonable - but you are always at the risk of foul weather and you have to cancel 48 hours in advance.  They don't list the tent camping rate on their website - it is pretty reasonable if you ride in on a motorcycle.  Car/trailer parking is free if you stay in a room.

Last year Stewmills and I camped at the Iron Horse and just rode up to Deals Gap and back to the Iron Horse after the races were over around 10PM.  The ride back is on Route 28 and takes about 20 minutes....it wasn't too scary in the dark.  The restaurant was closed and we bought a drink and some snacks before the store closed at 8PM - for better snacking we might want to pack food/drink before we get to the races.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #543 - 07/05/24 at 09:22:28

- for better snacking we might want to pack food/drink before we get to the races.  

There is always the : Loaf of bread , a pack of Black-Forrest Ham , a bag of corn chips , and some of the little mustard packs from the fast food place we stopped for lunch  !  
I have luggage mounted on both bikes hauling groceries is OK .  Wink

OR
Cheese and crackers with an apple on the side ?   Smiley.

I've got an older style 8'X10'X72" tent , the one I had last time Old Feller went.  
I could get it set-up and sprayed with a fresh coat of "Camp-Dry" ??

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #544 - 07/05/24 at 18:13:15

My neighbor Bruce can come - so at this point it looks like it will be Stewmills, MMRanch, Bruce and Dave.

We can use one campsite and tent - but it is likely Bruce and I will sleep in the enclosed trailer out in the parking lot if it is not too hot.  They do have a few tent sites with electric that you could plug in a fan - but unfortunately those spots are out in the sun and not shaded by trees (once the sun goes down I guess the fan would work to keep the tent cooler).

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #545 - 07/05/24 at 21:53:43

Stew , if your reading this ... What kind of tent do you have ?

I have the old 8'x10'x72" , but haven't had it up in years , I've been using the quick little 52" tall , 3 person pop-up.

Do they charge by the "TENT"  or the "TENT SITE"  ?    Huh

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #546 - Yesterday at 05:23:41

MMRanch wrote on 07/05/24 at 21:53:43:
Do they charge by the "TENT"  or the "TENT SITE"  ?    Huh

Iron Horse charges $35.99 for a tent with 1 person and $8 additional for every additional person in the tent.

I have a 10'x10' tent that attaches to the bottom of my pop up canopy.  I can bring that if Stew doesn't have anything bigger.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/07/24 at 02:55:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2024 Rides

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.