2024 Rides (Read 2799 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: 2024 Rides
Reply #510 - 06/03/24 at 08:31:15

Hey Dave, I thought about you yesterday. I was coming home from Austin, I was in the passing lane doing about 75 and I see in my rearview mirror a pick up with a trailer at least as big as yours bearing down on me. He had to be doing at least 80. I moved over to the right lane to give plenty of space and thought this guy has got be getting even worse MPG than Dave. Grin Grin
Scary actually!! Shocked

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #511 - 06/03/24 at 13:10:54

Well I don't drive that fast in mine - 60mph is the preferred speed.  If the wind is at my back I will bump it up to 65mph.

However - my RV has been a huge "rehab" project for the last 4 weeks!

On this trip Deb got a bit of a water drip on her when we were driving in the rain.  I thought it was the joint between the metal cab roof and the bottom of the bunk, as a previous owner had put a lot of silicone sealer on that area.

When I started working to see where the leak was, I discovered the entire bunk area floor was wet.  As I started to investigate - I discovered the entire bunk floor area was rotted.  I could see that previous owners had been fighting roof leaks - as there was a lot of sealant had been added to the roof pieces.

This what I found:

Rot.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #512 - 06/03/24 at 13:11:40

So the front end had to come apart!

Remove.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #513 - 06/03/24 at 13:15:17

I removed all the rotten wood.  I had to sand the plywood off the fiberglass panel that is located under the bunk (above the cab), so I could glue new plywood to it and put it back in place.  These fiberglass panels are hard to buy and expensive - so it was worth the effort.

I then built a wooden framework to supplement the aluminum frame - it just seemed really flexible.  I likely added 10 pounds of wood - but that is fine with me!

Frame.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #514 - 06/03/24 at 13:16:59

I then glued the fiberglass panel underneath, and then glued in foam insulation.  The foam is glued top and bottom to the plywood - which makes a strong and rigid sandwich.

Insulation.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #515 - 06/03/24 at 13:17:31

Gluing the top plywood to the frame and foam.

Glue.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #516 - 06/03/24 at 13:23:05

Now the bunk floor is finished.

I am currently working on the joint between the cab and bunk bottom to get that sealed up.  Evidently this is a really bad design as the factory used self tapping screws though the steel cab roof and drilled them into an aluminum frame in the bunk floor.  As the RV flexes and moves the sheet metal screws work loose and the joint leaks.  I am going to use bolts with lock nuts so they won't work loose.  This required countersinking the heads into the bunk floor so the head won't stick up into the bunk floor.

This has been a 'HUGE" project.  I have to work outdoors and the wind and rainy spring have made it impossible to work on some days.  I believe I have 3-4 more days of work to do.  On July 22nd it is going to Chattanooga to have a FlexArmor roof sprayed on - it is like a thick bedliner and it has a lifetime guarantee - I never want to go through this again!

Done.jpg

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #517 - 06/03/24 at 14:35:02

Holy cow! That was a heck of an issue. Sure glad you have the skills and patience to take care of it yourself.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #518 - 06/03/24 at 15:16:20

springman wrote on 06/03/24 at 14:35:02:
Sure glad you have the skills and patience to take care of it yourself.

Seems like I am developing the skills.....and wearing out my patience!

YouTube videos have really helped to understand how these things are put together....and how to take them apart.  Thankfully this one has an aluminum frame - some have wooden frames and the wood frame has to be rebuilt when they get rotten.  It is also a huge help that this RV has Azdel side walls - the fiberglass exterior panels are bonded to a composite panel that is waterproof and will not de-laminate when they get wet.  If the sidewalls had come apart this job would be a lot harder!

It is incredible how poorly the roofs are put together on these things.  Evidently all RV and campers will leak at some point - this one must have leaked a lot with a previous owner.  The roofs are a very thin membrane that is easily damaged.  The roofs need constant attention.

I am in the home stretch of getting this thing done. Wink  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #519 - 06/03/24 at 18:08:49

perhaps you should consider drainage and vents to prevent moisture buildup

and I love the prebonded panels

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #520 - 06/04/24 at 02:42:14

Yep, the bunk bed area is pretty much a bowl without any outlet.  One of the things that led me to believe the area was wet - I was getting funky colored drips of water from the molding under the bunk onto the windshield.  I "knew" there was a problem when I parked the RV uphill in my driveway, and it dripped water for several hours!

There really isn't any form of drain for the area - the entire bunk floor is supposed to be bonded together. Installing a drain hole in the bunk area to the outside is a bit of a gamble.  When you are driving the entire nose is in a high pressure area, and rain/mist could be forced into the hole.  I don't see any way to run a drain tube to another area without it looking goofy.

The only real "vent" for the area is that the fiberglass nose has a loose fitting trim panel on the inside - just above the bunk bed area.  This could provide some relief - however it does have fiberglass batting to provide insulation for the bunk.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #521 - 06/04/24 at 08:19:22

You don't have to necessarily vent or drain to the outside... directly.
But you will need a way to see it to take care of it or you'll need to park uphill more often.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #522 - 06/04/24 at 08:29:53

I get a chuckle out of this. The minds of 2 engineers at work!!! Cool

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #523 - 06/04/24 at 09:16:55

Have caliper, will travel.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #524 - 06/04/24 at 11:58:51

Yes, I do indeed know! Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 07:33:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2024 Rides

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.