Maybe they like him??  Shocked

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: What's this?
Reply #17 - 10/21/23 at 16:13:20

Hell no the aliens would return him with a bow on in 15 minutes !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #18 - 10/21/23 at 16:14:13

Or less

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #19 - 10/21/23 at 16:17:00

I hope he is healthy and happy

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 10/21/23 at 18:17:23

Were schools at one point educating that "Fossil Fuels" were dinosaurs?

I've heard this a few times from a few different people that really aren't into online hype trains.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #21 - 10/21/23 at 21:16:03

I know why he left. All these dam pop up ads. They are freakin annoying. Hell I’m ready to bail out too. Mr  Mysterious better get that crap under control. It will be more time building bike than talking about it. I’m usually the last to complain so I know many feel the same way. I can read it anytime , I only post because I like to write and have made a friend or two here. I think ! I’ve seen other forums just cease to exist over this same problem , Greed.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #22 - 10/22/23 at 16:40:58

I use the Brave browser.  I see no ads whatsoever.

Ruttly wrote on 10/21/23 at 21:16:03:
I know why he left. All these dam pop up ads. They are freakin annoying. Hell I’m ready to bail out too. Mr  Mysterious better get that crap under control. It will be more time building bike than talking about it. I’m usually the last to complain so I know many feel the same way. I can read it anytime , I only post because I like to write and have made a friend or two here. I think ! I’ve seen other forums just cease to exist over this same problem , Greed.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #23 - 10/22/23 at 16:45:24

Yes, hence the name "fossil fuel".  My understanding is that the Russians coined that name or propagated that idea in the late 18th or early 19th century.  It turns out that oil is not a finite resource of material made from ancient decayed animals and plants.  It's a renewable resource.  The Earth replenishes it.  That's why old reservoirs sometimes become active again.  The idea of running out of oil is now outmoded.  Oh, as far as fossils go, I've been told by colleagues that crude may contain tiny fossils, which isn't surprising given it's lifted from various types of geologic formations often miles below the surface or sea bed.

Eegore wrote on 10/21/23 at 18:17:23:
 Were schools at one point educating that "Fossil Fuels" were dinosaurs?

I've heard this a few times from a few different people that really aren't into online hype trains.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 10/22/23 at 21:47:45

The Earth replenishes it.  That's why old reservoirs sometimes become active again.

Do you have a reference for this?  I wasn't aware that oil can organically process that fast.  I am aware that oil will refill, like a dried up well, with existing oil that was not pumped.  By "replenish" do you mean refill with existing oil that was developed over hundreds of thousands of years, or millions of years, or that it was replenished within 1000 years?

If indeed organic material can turn into useable oil in lets say 1000 years I would be very surprised, this would change everything we know about organic decay right?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 10/23/23 at 05:06:00

LANCER wrote on 10/18/23 at 04:18:29:
Mav suggested that when trees were created there were no micro-organisms in the soil…says who ?  Micro-organisms action in the soil and their byproducts help enable plants and trees to take up nutrients from the soil, they are an integral part of plant growth.

Not too long ago I read that the oil and coal deposits were the result of the creation of woody plants and trees.  The wood did not decompose as it would today - because there was nothing around that knew how to deal with wood.  The trees and woody plants got buried and stayed underground......and eventually it became coal and oil.

Here is more detailed explanation.....I am not smart enough to know how accurate it is - but it certainly sounds plausible.

The first of these is the appearance of bark-bearing trees (and in particular the evolution of the bark fiber lignin). The second is the lower sea levels that occurred during the Carboniferous as compared to the Devonian period. This allowed for the development of extensive lowland swamps and forests in North America and Europe. Based on a genetic analysis of mushroom fungi, David Hibbett and colleagues proposed that large quantities of wood were buried during this period because animals and decomposing bacteria had not yet evolved that could effectively digest the tough lignin. It is assumed that fungi that could break it down did not arise before the end of the period, making future coal formation much more rare.[14][15] The Carboniferous trees made extensive use of lignin. They had bark to wood ratios of 8 to 1, and even as high as 20 to 1. This compares to modern values less than 1 to 4. This bark, which must have been used as support as well as protection, probably had 38% to 58% lignin. Lignin is insoluble, too large to pass through cell walls, too heterogeneous for specific enzymes, and toxic, so that few organisms other than Basidiomycetes fungi can degrade it. It can not be oxidized in an atmosphere of less than 5% oxygen. It can linger in soil for thousands of years and inhibits decay of other substances

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #26 - 10/23/23 at 07:55:15

In third grade we all knew that Sinclair Gas was from dino's because there was a dino on the gas station sign !   Cool

sinclair.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #27 - 10/31/23 at 10:04:25

LANCER wrote on 10/18/23 at 04:18:29:
Microbes are necessary for plant growth, and so we’re present with trees when created.  The microbe-plant interactions were discussed in detail during a class I had at OSU in a Plant Pathology class for a BS in Agriculture degree.

You've misread: there was no suggestion that very-small organisms didn't predate towering plant life- rather, that microbes did not adapt to the unique qualities of trees for an extended period.

« Last Edit: 11/05/23 at 14:58:13 by Mavigogun »  

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #28 - 10/31/23 at 10:30:28

Dave wrote on 10/23/23 at 05:06:00:
It is assumed that fungi that could break it down did not arise before the end of the period, making future coal formation much more rare.

This bit speaks to both why geologists commonly see coal deposits within certain strata and not others (read: time periods), and why other "fossil fuels" are likewise associated with certain epochs.   Our picture of the ancient past continues to develop; feeling around for shapes in the dark has demonstrated what we once thought a snake to be the trunk of an elephant, "best" understandings adapted or dispensed with when "better" is reckoned- and when we can, tested.   The terrestrial animal explanation appealed within the confines of our understanding and imaginative needs of the time- and that's OK; as consideration expanded, the notion was shed like old skin, becoming yet another constituent of folk lore and that enduring oily sludge that is meme culture.

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #29 - 10/31/23 at 17:30:36

OMG JOG, please, we need you!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3