Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
What's this?
10/16/23 at 13:09:55

You may have noticed JoG has been missing for while,.. so I e-mailed him to see if he's ok.
He is.  He locked himself out of the site and has found the time away to be satisfying, so he's doing some non-internet stuff for a while.
He may come back or may not.  Anyway he says hi and left us with this conundrum.
Apparently he thinks some of you might be smart
Or maybe he was referring to the Cafe' members... I don't know.

Quote:
"For fun I've been working on calculating the number of Cubic Miles of petroleum products we have pumped out of the ground. Doing some rounding, because close is plenty good enough, the world pumped 80 million barrels a day for 18 years, notes are in the shop, dates are best guess, 98-2015.. Aaand of Course NOW I forgot the main number..

Okay, a barrel of oil is 5.61458 cubic feet
>> A cubic mile is 147,197,952,000 cubic feet.
>> So, a million barrels is 5,614,580 cubic feet.
>> Eighty million barrels per day is
>> 5,614,580 cubic feet per million bbl x80 million bbl =449,166,400 'cubed. I'm calling it 450,000,000 cubic feet per day. The calculator only has so many numbers in the display.
>> Anyway,, how many times will 450million go into 147,197,952,000?
>> Looks like 3,282.662116 round to 3,283.. So if I'm right, and there is a chance I'm not,then it takes 3,283 days at 80 million barrels per day to suck a cubic mile of oil out of the world. Eighteen years is 6570 days, divide by 3,283=2.00 cubic miles.
>> From 98 to2015,we sucked about two cubic miles of oil out of the planet. That doesn't take into consideration all the years before and since.
>> And some of those barrels were brought up from below six Thousand feet deep.
>> People really ought to question the notion that it is the result of things that Decayed. When things decay,they lose volume.
>> You can post this, if you don't mind.
>> Be okay if someone checked my maffs, because maffs are hard."

Quote:
The oil calculation is about trying to envision just how much Stuff we've pulled out of the earth. Is it a lot? Well, Row,that's subjective. How deep is the mantle? How many cubic miles of that is there? Yeah, like I know,, nope, me neither.. I put it in cubic miles so I could envision the cube. If the numbers are right, and I Don't trust them. I'm gonna have to do it all again without looking at anything I have. But IF in that 18 year period the world sucked two cubic miles of oil out, then the cube is two miles on each side.
Two minutes at sixty mph,, down the length, width and depth..
If that is correct, it's only 18 of the years, the world has been sucking oil out of the earth for decades,, less use in the beginning, more than 80 million barrels a day, today.

Nobody wants to describe the mechanism by which enough mass and of Things to Decay and become oil got captured and under the ground, below layers of rock, into places where the formation pressure will Blow Water out of the well. But I'm supposed to believe enough flora and fauna got buried and turned into all that oil? If the world was that unstable then why are there any dinosaur fossils to find?

You otta toss this to the smart guys. If someone did the math and I'm wrong, well, I hope not, but I have the basic numbers, if someone else ran them, I'd feel better.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Re: What's this?
Reply #1 - 10/16/23 at 13:50:01

I ran the whole story through chat gpt and this is what came out:

Let's check the calculations:

A barrel of oil is believed to be 5.61458 cubic feet.
    One cubic mile is equal to 147,197,952,000 cubic feet.
    If we take 80 million barrels of oil per day, that is 80 million x 5.61458 cubic feet per barrel = 449,166,400 cubic feet per day.
    To determine how many days it takes to extract one cubic mile of oil, we divide 147,197,952,000 cubic feet by 449,166,400 cubic feet per day, which gives approximately 3283 days.
    Since the author says this was done for 18 years, we multiply 3283 days by 18 years, which comes to 59,094,600 days.
    We can then divide 59,094,600 days by 3283 days to calculate the number of cubic miles gained over those 18 years, which is approximately 18.

So, Justin o guy has correctly calculated that approximately 18 cubic miles of oil have been extracted from the earth over 18 years, based on the numbers and calculations provided.
Smiley

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/16/23 at 14:02:37

AI just copied JoG's answers

The lazy bastard  Grin

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/16/23 at 15:00:40

Who could have predicted AI would get the same results by using the same numbers?

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #4 - 10/17/23 at 01:21:50

I think you underestimate Justin o guy,s intelligence.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/17/23 at 05:12:50

I never have. Humor demands intelligence and he’s posted the funniest lines  ever written in this forum.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/17/23 at 05:58:39

I think you underestimate Justin o guy,s intelligence.

ChatGPT is not JoG or a representation of his intelligence.  If any program uses the same numbers I do, it should get the same results.

I wouldn't do the math the way he is, but for his purposes it is fine and appears accurate.  As for not understanding how we can find dinosaur bones it's because oil is not dinosaurs.  Its marine algae and plankton.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #7 - 10/17/23 at 08:01:13

Serowbot wrote on 10/16/23 at 13:09:55:
(Quoting JoG) But IF in that 18 year period the world sucked two cubic miles of oil out, then the cube is two miles on each side.

A cube with a volume of 2 cubic miles features a side measurement of ~1.26 miles.   Were I to be subject of the hypothetical ride, the first moment would likely be spent dumbfounded by the spectacle, followed by suffocation from off gassing volatile organic compounds, as my bike failed to crank from a lack of O2- and all in under 2 minutes.  Wink

(Quoting JoG) Nobody wants to describe the mechanism by which enough mass and of Things to Decay and become oil got captured and under the ground, below layers of rock, into places where the formation pressure will Blow Water out of the well. But I'm supposed to believe enough flora and fauna got buried and turned into all that oil? If the world was that unstable then why are there any dinosaur fossils to find?

Not only are there people that want to explain this, people have done so at length.

While 'common sense reckoning' and the anecdotal and analogous examples may be problematic, I'll take a swing at it, starting with a pie crust as example:

To make a delicious, flaky crust, the dough must not be over mixed, discrete platelets of butter being allowed to remain and impart a delightful consistency; observers of the mixing process and product will likely recognize no action taken to preserve these elements, nor be able to easily discern them in the dough.

A literal Earth's crust analogy.  

Fossils, as with every other darn thing that makes up the Earth's crust, mantle, and all the other layers, are not uniformly subject to homogenization.  Despite the action of millions of years, tectonic drift and plates rising and subsuming, there still remains geologic record  (you know, stuff- lots and lots of stuff) indicating continents were once in contact.  

As it would happen, there is a compelling and ACTIONABLELY conclusive fossil and geological record that affirms that organic hydrocarbons are the product of observed processes and not inexplicable.  I point your attention to most any neighborhood established in the year you were born.   Observe the mighty trees, their branches spread wide, providing shade.   Where did the tree come from?  Not from the soil- were that the case, the tree would be deep within a tree-sized hole, soil consumed to produce tree-stuff.  (Ahh!- the SOIL -don't forget the soil... we'll come back to it!) So where does the bulk of a tree come from?  From carbon in the atmosphere, respirated and metabolized into tree-stuff.   Look to the edge of the side walk, at the lawn.   What do we see?  The soil on which that grass depends may well be several inches taller than where it was those many decades ago.   How is that?   Like the tree, the grass has sequestered carbon drawn from the atmosphere.   But grass, like trees, is not forever: the decayed elements of tree and grass and every other organic thing heaped upon the Earth eventually contributes to the soil.   How much soil?   ALL of the organic loams and clays and peat and stuff that forms the blanket of humus- however deep -that covers the Earth.   All of it used to be trees and plants and presumptive bloggers- and THAT amounts to much, much more than the paltry few square miles of fossil hydrocarbons that confront the imagination of the OP.

Today, our best understanding of the origin of fossil fuels does not significantly include large animals, but reaches back long before T-Rex was unable to tie their shoes- all the way back to the origin of those soil-building trees.   For millions of years after the first trees reached skyward to compete for sunlight, they did so uninhibited by microorganisms capable of digesting the novel lignin and cellulose they produced, with resulting accumulation of vast amounts of organic detritus.    When fungus and other agents of decay eventually adapted to eat what trees made is when the massive explosion of terrestrial life was unleashed- and the geologically significant to our narrative mass of organic decay entered the fossil record.

Even with the blink-of-an-eye life span that we enjoy, the accumulation of soil and organic material is easily directly observed.   In my neighborhood, built in the earl 80's, that amounts to 4", or more.   A mere 40 years, not tens of millions, or the 420 million years since the dawn of the trees, or 180 million years since tectonic drift carried the continents apart.

----

On my way out the door, I received a message from thumperclone, saying how he would miss my contribution.   This one's for you, dude.

« Last Edit: 10/18/23 at 03:17:56 by Mavigogun »  

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 10/17/23 at 08:43:01

WebsterMark wrote on 10/17/23 at 05:12:50:
I never have. Humor demands intelligence and he’s posted the funniest lines  ever written in this forum.

Texas humour is uniquely witty
JoG has it in spades
Grin

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 10/17/23 at 19:53:46

Apparently he thinks some of you might be smart
Or maybe he was referring to the Cafe' members... I don't know.

------------------

I think you mean Tall Table members.  

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 10/17/23 at 21:16:12

OK

So at what point does the earth cave in since we are hollowing it out ?   Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 10/18/23 at 04:18:29

It was mentioned that 2 cubic miles is a cube that is 2x2x2.  1cubic mile is 1x1x1, and if you take 2 of those cubes and set them side by side you have 1x1x2.  2x2x2 = 8 cubic miles.

Mav suggested that when trees were created there were no micro-organisms in the soil…says who ?  Micro-organisms action in the soil and their byproducts help enable plants and trees to take up nutrients from the soil, they are an integral part of plant growth.

“Plant-soil-microbes: A tripartite interaction for nutrient acquisition and better plant growth for sustainable agricultural practices“

“Plants can achieve their proper growth and development with the help of microorganisms associated with them. Plant-associated microbes convert the unavailable nutrients to available form and make them useful for plants. Besides nutrient acquisition, soil microbes also inhibit the pathogens that cause harm to plant growth and induces defense response. Due to the beneficial activities of soil nutrient-microbe-plant interactions, it is necessary to study more on this topic and develop microbial inoculant technology in the agricultural field for better crop improvement. The soil microbes can be engineered, and plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria (PGPR) and plant growth-promoting bacteria (PGPB) technology can be developed as well, as its application can be improved for utilization as biofertilizer, biopesticides, etc., instead of using harmful chemical biofertilizers. Moreover, plant growth-promoting microbe inoculants can enhance crop productivity. Although, scientists have discussed several tools and techniques by omics and gene editing approaches for crop improvement to avoid biotic and abiotic stress and make the plant healthier and more nutritive. However, beneficial soil microbes that help plants with the nutrient acquisition, development, and stress resistance were ignored, and farmers started utilizing chemical fertilizers. Thus, this review attempts to summarize the interaction system of plant microbes, the role of beneficiary soil microbes in the rhizosphere zone, and their role in plant health promotion, particularly in the nutrition acquisition of the plant. The review will also provide a better understanding of soil microbes that can be exploited as biofertilizers and plant growth promoters in the field to create environmentally friendly, sustainable agriculture systems.”

Microbes are necessary for plant growth, and so we’re present with trees when created.  The microbe-plant interactions were discussed in detail during a class I had at OSU in a Plant Pathology class for a BS in Agriculture degree.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 10/18/23 at 04:51:29

The original diesel fuel was hemp seed oil.
I really wonder how many seeds to the mile?

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 10/20/23 at 14:40:35

So, when are we getting JOG back???

« Last Edit: 10/20/23 at 16:44:52 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
LANCER