Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paper straws can be worse (Read 77 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Paper straws can be worse
08/31/23 at 14:18:03

More PFAS, or "forever chemicals" are found in paper and bamboo straws.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19440049.2023.2240908  

That sucks.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Paper straws can be worse
Reply #1 - 08/31/23 at 18:48:31

This always happens!

Someone does something "better" and then someone comes around finding crap wrong with it.  

It does suck.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/01/23 at 06:14:38

I guess the only way we can not suck is to ditch the straw and instead use the rim of the glass like a Plebian.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/01/23 at 07:16:32

I don't understand why they lay a straw on the table by my tea,or,most of time, water. I'm not a child. I don't use straws at home. I pick up the glass and drink. If I take the drink out,then it's in a paper cup with a lid, Now I can see having a straw. The cup holder in the car keeps it upright, but I'm not comfortable without a lid on it.  
The question, IMO, is Why make straws out of toxic crap? It's almost like they want us dead. Endocrine disruptors are in places I don't understand. And don't intend to inspect.
I'll share one, because we all have opportunities to handle them. BPA is in the receipt from most registers and ATM s. The thermal paper. It's thermal if it goes dark on the dashboard.
I'm not so stupid that I don't understand that getting something to work a certain way can require including chemicals to accomplish that. What role does BPA play in making the paper do what it needs to do? IDK.. I read the contents of what they tell us is Food and wonder Why does That need to be in there? Now I'm seeing Bioengineered contents in this product.. Why? It's been being produced, I've been buying it since forever, but let's start adding This?
Kids with allergies? When I was in elementary school,, fat kids were not common. Allergies weren't a topic. Autism? The word wasn't part of my vocabulary. There were no kids sitting, twirling their hair.
Without a source, just stuff I've heard and it SEEMS plausible,, with regard to chemicals in our environment, our food, I've heard that the body farms, where they study the dead as they decay, I've Heard that people from places where they aren't exposed to the garbage in our food and environment decay a bit faster than we Americans.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/01/23 at 07:40:45

I'm not so stupid that I don't understand that getting something to work a certain way can require including chemicals to accomplish that. What role does BPA play in making the paper do what it needs to do?

When the paper is exposed to heat from a thermal print head the microcapsules in the coating break open to release the dye that creates the image or text.  The cost advantage is the printers don’t require consumable supplies like ink or toner.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/01/23 at 17:45:23

Yeah,, that doesn't sound right.. I don't believe microcapsules are in the paper,  I'm exhausted, done for the day,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/02/23 at 00:18:32

Yeah,, that doesn't sound right.. I don't believe microcapsules are in the paper,  I'm exhausted, done for the day,,

It depends on the paper type, technically Carbonless paper contains what would be considered a micro capsulated ink chamber.  This comes in the white/pink/yellow forms. You can call them whatever you want, but manufacturers call them microcapsules.  Or microscopic dye-containing capsules.

Thermal paper uses a heat reaction, some use microcapsules that are reactive to heat, some use a separate chemical reaction.  They all have BPA as they require a chemical coating to work.

No matter how you define "micro capsule" in regard to heat activated chemical reaction or impact engaged encapsulated discharge, they both exist for the same reason:  Printers don’t require consumable supplies like ink or toner.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5741592A/en

« Last Edit: 09/02/23 at 10:15:29 by Eegore »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/02/23 at 19:08:37

Is there something in there that necessitates BPA in order to function as a paper that can develop an image from exposure to heat?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/03/23 at 00:58:12

Yes, the chemical reaction will not happen on standard paper.  That's why the printed side of the paper is typically shiny while the other side is not.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/03/23 at 11:02:26

I took college chemistry. That doesn't answer my question. And it's not even possible to accomplish that here,imo. The nature of the the mechanisms that make a paper be reactive to heat and then be able to make it do that and have crisp edges to make numbers and letters that don't make me struggle to read them is hard to grasp.
I repaired copiers and how they worked was a bit of a mind bender. I don't think anyone can adequately explain the answer about the NEED for BPA . If you're convinced it's a necessary element to make the paper Work and display the numbers, and you think it's something that you can show me, I'll look. But if it's just a list of things on the patent without any reason that shows the Chemistry requires it, then I'm not going to be convinced.
Convince me of the Necessity for BPA or don't.

Is there Really nothing else to line cans of food with? MUST it have BPA in it to work?

Apparently others have been arguing against it. Innerweb says a lot of companies have stopped using BPA in can liners. Why would the FDA allow it in the first place?
Aren't They supposed to be Protecting us? Now, the companies CAN produce a safe product? But only after concerned consumers spoke up?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/03/23 at 11:52:00

There are alternatives, just not cheaper alternatives.  That's the thing about BPA, it does its job well and is cheap.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/03/23 at 12:34:10

That it's toxic and should be limited by the EPA and FDA ,,mehh.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/03/23 at 15:13:01

I don't see why this would be the one thing the FDA and EPA do right.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 20:24:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Paper straws can be worse

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.