YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Age old belt question
Reply #15 - 09/05/23 at 09:57:43

I used the biggest bolt I had (about a 5/8") spacers, plates and whathaveyous.

WWW   IP Logged
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 09/10/23 at 12:29:07

Ok, so I did the Spacer mod, and got it all back together. squeak is still going strong. belt looks like its staying in place on the pully and not wandering, and also the wobble in the wheel pully is gone (by a lot!). the old bearing didn't look terrible, no broken bearings, grease looked ok..

So I went and played with the belt tension, super loose, mid. nothing helped the squeek. Its defiantly coming from the back wheel, and its only when I'm giving to gas.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 09/10/23 at 15:16:39

Your belt shouldn't be squeaking, and you shouldn't need any sort of wax or goo to keep it from squeaking.  

Check your pulley alignment.

Remove the belt guard, front pulley cover, and left rear shock absorber.  Then clamp a straight edge to the rear pulley as shown here.  I use a saw guide.  It works great.

Straight_Edge_Alignment_2_003.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 09/10/23 at 15:18:45

The straight edge should be in intimate contact with the face of the rear pulley, as shown here.  It must contact all the way across the pulley.

Rear_Pulley_Straight_Edge_Contact.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 09/10/23 at 15:28:50

Now verify that the straight edge is running parallel to the front pulley.  It should be an equal distance away from the front and rear edges of the front pulley, and the gap should be about 1mm.  Adjust the rear wheel adjusters to achieve correct alignment.  For instance, if there is no gap, loosen the right-side rear wheel adjuster.  If there is too much gap, loosen the left-side rear wheel adjuster.  Play with the rear wheel adjusters until you have a uniform gap (approx 1mm) across the front pulley.  Once you have it aligned properly with all the fasteners tight (axle nut, wheel adjusters), note the position of the adjuster marks on the swingarm and record for later use.  You have to play around with it until you have good alignment and proper belt tension.

This shows what things should look like when you have good alignment.

Front_Pulley_Parallel_Fwd__Aft.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 09/10/23 at 17:51:38

Ok, so I did that (Photos) and while the squeak is better, its still there I drove just down the street and back. I thought to seemed to get more squeeky as I drove but that might have been me. The belt might be too tight as this point, I was having a hard to balancing the tightness and the alignment. Do you see anything I'm doing wrong here?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 09/11/23 at 02:31:32

I like your alignment rig. Using the level is a great idea since it provides additional surface engagement on the rear pulley.  You need to move the straight edge a little farther forward such that it overlaps the front pulley as much as possible.

I can see from your photo of the front pulley that the straight edge is not parallel with the pulley.  The front portion of the straight edge is significantly closer to the pulley than the rear portion.  So, the rear pulley is not parallel to the front pulley.  You need to loosen the right-rear adjuster, or tighten the left-rear adjuster.  I would loosen the right-rear, but you must decide based on your belt tension.

I know you are confident that the squeal is coming from your rear wheel, but noises can be tricksters.  I've been fooled more than a time or two.  Try riding the bike with the front pulley cover removed to rule out any rubs on the front pulley.  Be careful, take appropriate precautions to prevent getting tangled up in the belt/pulley.  Just ride it long enough to rule out pulley rubs.

Good luck.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 09/11/23 at 04:09:01

My test rides where without both covers. I just slapped the shock back on and would take it out.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 09/11/23 at 07:00:01

That's the method I used to verify alignment on the beast when I put the kawasaki wheels on it.
But, fine tuning was still necessary to get the belt to run in the middle of the pulley.

verslagen1 wrote on 12/06/09 at 17:22:01:
There are rubber dampers that are inbetween the pulley and the hub.
And there's a bearing between the pulley and the axle.
Could be the bearing is wore out, could be your dampers are too loose.

also it could be that your bike is bent.

My method for checking the belt alignment is different from the rest.
Lift the rear, take it out of gear and spin the wheel by hand.  watch the belt if it tracks to one side readjust to center it.  then reverse the direction of spin and recheck the belt.

Now with a wobly pulley, this might not work.  But I've done it on 3 bikes, one I'd adjusted incorrectly and it squeaked and another that was brought to me squeaking.  One more that I took completely apart and put back together with no problems.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 06:42:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Age old belt question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.