Send Topic Print
Retirement (Read 255 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Retirement
Reply #15 - 08/02/23 at 00:38:26

So of course the company doesn’t throw you a party , so my coworkers dug deep and put on a bbq steaks , corn all the fixins what a meal about 40-45 mechanics attended , the other 60 or so are on days didn’t attend. Got the grand tour of crane 21 too at sunset some fantastic views at 200 ft up as  San Francisco and Oakland light up as the sun goes down a very special day indeed. What a send off , what a great place to finish my career and a great group guys. Retired out as Waterfront Royalty.
Santa Claus signing off !    Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #16 - 08/02/23 at 05:42:07

LANCER wrote on 08/01/23 at 09:08:01:
Youzguys, so when you are retired does this mean that we no longer plan for a weeks ride in the “Hills” but should instead plan for a month long ride ? ?

Lancer,

Y'all are welcome to come on down and ride with me anytime.   Cheesy

The problem now is my endurance.  I can't do ALL day rides EVERY DAY.  Just wears me out.  Embarrassed

And, I still need to be home at night most nights.  Family health things.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #17 - 08/02/23 at 05:49:33

Ruttly wrote on 08/02/23 at 00:38:26:
So of course the company doesn’t throw you a party , so my coworkers dug deep and put on a bbq steaks , corn all the fixins what a meal about 40-45 mechanics attended , the other 60 or so are on days didn’t attend. Got the grand tour of crane 21 too at sunset some fantastic views at 200 ft up as  San Francisco and Oakland light up as the sun goes down a very special day indeed. What a send off , what a great place to finish my career and a great group guys. Retired out as Waterfront Royalty.
Santa Claus signing off !    Cool

Wow.. that's nice!!!

I don't expect anything from my co-workers, and less from my company.

I work remotely and haven't even seen anyone from the company in YEARS.  The last time is when an install was being done in San Antonio and I had lunch with one of the trainers.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #18 - 08/02/23 at 11:38:07

On the waterfront someone inevitably hangs a handle on you. The first few didn’t really stick old man , grandpa , pappy and then one day two longshoremen were having some fun messin with me and there it was , one of them said “you look like Santa Claus”. It spread across all the terminals , where ever I went the handle followed. Mostly dock bosses have nicknames and of course the most colorful personalities too. Working the waterfront isn’t for everyone , it just happened that I was a perfect fit , I always felt lucky & privileged to have a job there and still hella proud  I had that opportunity. Years ago me and another apprentice turned out almost at the same time. He became day foreman and I was night foreman at a truck dealership. He had moved on after some years and one day I got the call. I remember telling my wife “ I have to try even if I fail I have to try”. Usually someone brings you in , most don’t get in , like I said I was lucky and privileged and while my buddy knew I had the skills to make it , what he didn’t know is if I could fit in and handle the weather. On the waterfront you working in the elements , good or bad. I think I completely exceeded his expectations. We wound up working on different terminals and I will always
be thankful for his gracious offer to work with him ! He’s still in the same place while I have moved several times , I have worked 3 of the 4 terminals and held my own in every shop. Challenges and victories , feeds a good journeyman mechanic , we survive on both !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #19 - 08/03/23 at 14:52:34

Congratulations Ruttly and Youzguyz. I'll be 66 before the end of the year and though the idea of retirement appeals to me it also scares me mightily. I am starting to look at the financial aspects of it so I can hopefully ease into retirement in the not too distant future (yeah, vague on purpose). I have noticed from vacation time that I love having one or 2 days doing nothing but come around the 3rd, 4th or 5th day I am looking forward to the idea of going back to work. I do enjoy doing thing around the house but here in Houston the summer time is not the time for doing things outside. I wish all of you guys the very best and I am sure some day I will be posting my adventure of slipping into retirement.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 08/03/23 at 15:10:15

You could have a part time self-supporting hobby of searching out old or damaged bikes, fix them so they are road worthy, sell them and make some money.   That gives you something to do with your excess time that is productive and profitable.   Besides that, you provide another person with needed inexpensive transportation.  It’s a win win.  
Zoom Zoom  😎🏍️

That’s what I do with the parts I sell.
Tinkering with the bikes and providing parts is a type of therapy for me.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 08/03/23 at 15:46:37

I retired from my full time job at the end of 2017.  For the next 4.5 years I worked 8-4 on Mon/Tues and 8-12 on Wednesday.....20 hours a week.  it was a great gig!

That allowed me to have enough income that I didn't need to dip into my savings and got me health insurance until I could obtain Medicare.

Working part time was great way to prepare for the upcoming full time retirement - and so was having weekends that started Wednesday at noon!  I could travel easily on weekends that lasted 4.5 days!

In addition to the potential for a part time job - you could also become involved in community groups that need volunteers.  One retired friend began working for the Park Service and really enjoys it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #22 - 08/04/23 at 12:37:20

Thanks for the advice Lancer and Dave. I do not believe I am good enough at mechanic-ing to rescue bikes, though the thought is appealing. I have considered volunteering once retired, just really do not know where yet. I guess we'll just have to wait to see where life takes me.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #23 - 08/05/23 at 19:59:58

The stress is subsiding , still coping with change of lifestyle , may take awhile. Still have to get my tool box out of work. Sort them all get me a nice set of tools , give the rest to son in laws. Then a trip to the mountains to sleep and eat berries in the woods. Squeeze a ride in every chance I get.
Let’s just say I’m adjusting ! I’ll be just fine.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 08/05/23 at 22:04:16

Ruttly and Youzguyz Congratulations to both of ya'll .  Smiley

I retired 17 years ago and have loved every day of it !!  Smiley Smiley

Part time job being keeping the cows happy works nicely.  

Once a week I help out with the local "Trail Life " group (It's what Boy Scouts used to be) .

I'm also happy with my decision to start going to Planet Fitness a few times a week. It gets me out of the house and into a bike ride to get there and I feel better too !  Wink

There are so many things a person could get wrapped-up in that could take up too much of your free time , so be careful what ya get into .  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #25 - 08/05/23 at 22:29:00

Come Monday another pile of forms and a bunch of phone calls too. Get it all done early in the week. Then ride !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #26 - 08/05/23 at 22:32:40

I really miss the cattle ranch across the street. Gonna move next to a ranch or orchards , I don’t belong in town anymore.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #27 - 08/11/23 at 21:32:18

Thanks all of you for the overwhelming response. I am adjusting , as well as my wife & dog. Need to ride more !  Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #28 - 08/13/23 at 03:14:47

I have 3 weeks of work left before retirement day.

All paperwork has been looked at by lawyer and deemed acceptable.
401k has been rolled out to IRA and will be generating income.
I have Legal Advice benefit through September, so I need to do will, deeds on death, powers of attorney, living wills, etc, etc during that time.
House network and internet need reworked.  I will be dropping cable and going with Google Fiber.

And.. all this EQUIPMENT.. geezzzz.   Most going to recycling place.  Lots just dumping.   Antiques..  
I am keeping the IBM luggable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Portable_Personal_Computer

I don't know what I will be doing to keep busy.  Do more with the PGR.
Get rid of stuff we don't need or use.  Spoil grandson.  Be the definitive example of a Grumpy Old Biker.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #29 - 09/30/23 at 08:56:02

Congrats out for Youzguyz , you will adjust. I’m 2 months in and still adjusting. I didn’t believe it till the checks started coming in. Some bumps in the road healthcare,Social security and never ending forms. By Thanksgiving the storm of forms should have passed and everything should be smoothed out. Another guy retired and I went to the dinner Thursday night and another in 2 weeks , I’ll go to that. Last night I cut the umbilical cord , I took my toolbox home. The boss and the crew still think I’m coming back , they put traffic cones where my toolbox stayed , saving my spot ! While I do miss my buddies and the action that goes on at the port , I do not miss working in the cold & rain & wind at night on overtime sometimes 7 days a week for weeks on end , what’s not to love ?
     Last night after I unloaded my toolbox by myself and rolled it in. All sweaty it began to sprinkle , very welcome rush of cool air felt so good , all quiet 12:30 am. Just about ready to close the garage , at that second a car parked across the street blew up and burnt to the ground. Never a dull moment !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 21:32:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Retirement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.