Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I bought back my old bike. I have a few questions! (Read 175 times)
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
I bought back my old bike. I have a few questions!
06/12/23 at 14:42:22

Hey everyone. After 2 years of being in limbo, my old savage popped up for sale. If you don’t know that story, well…I don’t feel like repeating that for now. But, the thing I regret selling the most is back in my possession and I’m so, so happy. But here are the changes; New tires, wheels balanced, new air filter, rear turn signal repaired, carburetor rebuilt, front fork serviced, belt inspected, front break pad was replaced, changed break fluid and bled hydraulic system, rear drum break pad was replaced, new battery, rear cable lock for helmet was repaired, ignition coil replaced, and oil was changed. All services were performed by a local professional shop.…oil change was 6 months ago.

So what is the issue on hand? Well, I can’t get the idle right…when I first start it, it’ll run for maybe half a minute if that and then shut off due to the slow idle, so I usually just increase the idle until it’s warmed up the motor, then decrease when needed. Not only that, it’s not performing as smoothly as I want it to through shifting gears. It feels rough. There’s oil being spat at me from the fins. I have some pictures. And there’s a dripping, but can’t tell if it’s oil from the bottom of the engine or from the puke tube.

I’d also like to change the oil, it gets about 90-115f here in the upcoming summer, and a lot of humidity…im in North Carolina near the VA line, to give an idea. and I don’t know which oil to go with…if someone could point me to some, that would be great, I know there’s factory but I’ve read so much about “go with this it’ll handle the humidity better and run your system cleaner” so it’s about time for a summer change and I’m clueless…I unfortunately lost the majority of my memory on motorcycles due to being out of touch, but also due to a disease I have that causes memory issues. I’m also in need of an oil filter. I tried reading up on oil stuff on the forum, but i got a bit confused. Also, anyone got an easy way to attach a tachometer? I’d like to get some upgrades going after the oil and gasket fix. Possibly a clutch situation. Later on down the road I might need a new gas tank as there might be a rust issue. If I can clean the tank instead that would be nice, as if like to keep that pretty Pearl blue color. I got some  pics to upload that I will get to later on. I’m happy to be back, Pearl and I are back on the road!

'01 Metallic Glacial Blue Savage LS650 | Greenhorn grease monkey
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: I bought back my old bike. I have a few questi
Reply #1 - 06/12/23 at 16:40:27

If it was my bike.....I would get the carb cleaned and checked.  Starting with a thoroughly clean carb could be the easiest way to resolve problems.......at a minimum it will eliminate the carb as a potential problem.  Some of these bikes are 20-30 years old and the rubber parts in the carb could be getting stiff.  (Same for the petock).

Oil.  Use Rotella T4 or Synthetic T6 in the 15W-40 weight....it works just fine in your Savage and you don't need any additives or any more expensive oil.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
miatamarty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/12/23 at 20:39:21

Might want to get the valves adjusted then a compression check. If there is a lot of oil/mist coming out of the crankcase breather there could be a problem with the piston rings. If the compression is on the low end do a leak down test to see if it's the valves or rings. A competent shop should be able to handle this easily. The carb could be the big problem here but the fact that there is a lot of blow by coming out of the crankcase breather is a cause for concern.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 06/12/23 at 20:55:41

retro wrote on 06/12/23 at 14:42:22:
So what is the issue on hand? Well, I can’t get the idle right…when I first start it, it’ll run for maybe half a minute if that and then shut off due to the slow idle, so I usually just increase the idle until it’s warmed up the motor, then decrease when needed. Not only that, it’s not performing as smoothly as I want it to through shifting gears. It feels rough. There’s oil being spat at me from the fins. I have some pictures. And there’s a dripping, but can’t tell if it’s oil from the bottom of the engine or from the puke tube.
-------------------

Before you go making mountains out of molehills...

The fact that you are adjusting your idle based on the operating temperature of the bike leads me to believe some of your issues could be due to user error.   If it is don't feel bad because most people who didn't grow up around motorcycles, old gas powered tractors, small engines, or Britsh sports cars don't understand what the "choke" does and why it is needed.  

MBG choke adjustment cable/knob

1) Regarding your low idle during warmup... That's what the "half-choke" position is for.  It brings more fuel to the table during warm up which can take several minutes even in warm weather.  It will bring the idle up and keep the bike from stumbling and stalling.   This it's only purpose and it's there for this very reason.  

The standard starting procedure is "full-choke"*, "half-choke" as soon as it is running, and then start riding to warm it up (don't let it sit on the kickstand idling).  After 7-10 minutes of riding push the "choke" in fully and see how it runs.   If the bike still idles too low, try using the "half-choke" a bit longer.  

*"Full-choke" may not be needed if the bike has been warmed up for the day but that doesn't mean you should completely ignore it.  If the bike has been sitting for an hour or longer, it might benefit from using "full-choke". It should fire up easier which is better for the starter and battery.

And NEVER adjust your idle or do any other adjustments while the bike is cold.  Riding the bike is the best way to warm it up.  Once warm you should set the idle to approximately 1100 rpm and then leave it alone...forever.

Also, understand that a bike that hasn't been running recently is a cold bike no matter how hot it is outside. So the "choke" procedure should still be followed as needed.   Even in warm weather, the "half-choke" position should be used.  You'll know once you get some experience with it.

2) If you are still having issues.  Do what Dave said and eliminate any potential mechanical issues.  The petcocks on these bikes are known to fail.  If you don't have a raptor petcock now might be a good time to try one.  Cleaning the carb is good.  Buying a "rebuild kit" from Amazon and throwing a bunch of parts that may or may not be correct for the LS650 is BAD.  

3) The oil on the fins is likely from the "head plug" in the top of the head.  It's a common and known issue.  I wouldn't sweat it until you clear up your idling issues.

Not sure about the oil from the bottom.  It could be oil or fuel depending on what else you find.  

4) If you are wondering why I use quotation marks around the word "choke", it's because technically it's not a "choke" even though it does everything a "choke" does.  Most people will let that slide on here be we have a lot of new users and I don't feel like being trolled.  Not that any of the new users seem to be into that kind of stuff. lol

5)  Someoe will try to tell you they never use the "choke" and that it's not needed.  Fine but that doesn't mean you should do what they do.   Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/13/23 at 10:42:28

Does it get the same mpg as when you had it?
When I changed jets and put a free flowing exhaust on, mine always idled low before it hit operating temperature. I had to raise the idle and use some choke to get it to run right for the first few miles, even in the summer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #5 - 06/13/23 at 12:10:43

I didn’t use the choke, today I’m changing the oil (rotella t4 annd proper Suzuki filter from local dealer) and figuring out where that drip is coming from. Wide open throttle, once it hits about 75, almost 80mph? It starts wanting to act like it doesn’t want to give power to the engine and wants to give out. I’m thinking of just buying an entirely new carburetor. As this one has been rebuilt twice. It does have a raptor petcock. Which direction is reserve again? Images help. Thanks. Also mpg is pretty good so far. Maybe like 50-60mpg? I have to calculate that? I could be super wrong. Just a quick check in. Taking care of my pets today as well.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 06/13/23 at 13:47:14

DONT PUT THE FILTER IN WRONG !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #7 - 06/13/23 at 15:49:21

Yes, I sort of figured that. I am trying to locate the source of my oil leak. It looks like….it’s coming from that bottom screw? But the oil is higher. I don’t know whether because it’s being kicked up higher or what. I let it run on the Jack a bit, and it started seeping from the bottom of the case. This sounds like a gasket issue?  I don’t want to touch it any further on that end. What do you guys think?
Here are Imgur links, since the files are needing to be so small.

Leak locations(?): https://imgur.com/a/TVSVQYG

Also managed to upload those fin pictures and there’s a place on the fork that has a gunky bit of oil. Solution for that? Or just dirty?  https://imgur.com/a/FDljlop

Also, made a rookie mistake. I accidentally started the bike without the top cap on for maybe 3 mins. Didn’t notice any splashing or anything. I was distracted by people talking to me. Turned it off and put the cap back on. A little later, I found out my wrench was the wrong size, so I just rode the bike up the hill to my brothers house to keep it warm. I don’t know if this is due to that or something with a more serious problem. But my bike is smoking from the shown location. Almost from the muffler. I looked inside and it looks MESSY. Like really gunky and oily and just wow, just from what I could see through that little hole. I tried to fix the camera as best I could. But I’m hoping it wasn’t the pipe being moved by the Jack or something. Really considering taking it to a mechanic at this point. I’m not going to ride it or change the oil just yet. I’m a bit afraid of what’s happened and what I’ve uncovered. There’s more oil on the fins now and not only that but there’s oil on the bottom of the exhaust where it comes out of the head (sorry if it’s the wrong terminology) Here’s the new mess: https://imgur.com/a/mK06fBs

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #8 - 06/13/23 at 16:37:56

Update: it appears I’m just a dummy and oil spat out and I didn’t see it. We’re still good.  Wink doing the oil now, oils been drained. Just popped out the oil filter. Had a kn-137 in it. I bought a Suzuki one.

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #9 - 06/13/23 at 17:04:42

Update #2: the original idiot that “restored” the bike, threw away the SMALL o ring. Where can I buy another? One didn’t come with the Suzuki oil filter.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 06/14/23 at 08:18:52

Here's the o-ring for the oil filter.  I looked up a 2006 but it should be the same regardless of year.  Shipping will be more than the part. You might just want to go to the auto parts store and buy an assortment.  The description of the part (D:2.4, ID:15.8) seems to imply a ring thickness of 2.4mm with an inside diameter of 15.5mm.  Also I've been very happy with the Rotella T4 15W/40 here in Houston (affordable dyno juice).  Glad your oil leak wasn't serious.

https://www.revzilla.com/oem/suzuki/suzuki-09280-15007-o-ring-d24-id158?sku_i...

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #11 - 06/14/23 at 08:24:27

I’ll have to get a new gasket for the crank case (?) where it’s leaking.
The eye glass, for the oil level, is that supposed to be full or half full? I cannot remember. I spilled some and kinda eyeballed it to make up for the spillage. The eye glass is full. I took a ride and the gears feel like they’re grinding even more when I shift. In fact, the neutral light is coming on when I shift past it. Never had that problem. There might be too much oil in it….I’m wondering if the clutch lever needs adjusting when it comes to the gears. It hadn’t been really ridden in a year before I got it a week or so ago. Just cranked every week for a while. So I’m basically waking up the bike again.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #12 - 06/14/23 at 08:34:59

Also managed to upload those fin pictures and there’s a place on the fork that has a gunky bit of oil. Solution for that? Or just dirty?  https://imgur.com/a/FDljlop.

I just saw these pics.  I think you have the dreaded plug/cap leak.  Look in the cavity just above the exhaust port/pipe.  You should see a nice clean nut.  If it's black with oil, this is your culprit.

Here's a link to the topic.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099227295

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 06/14/23 at 09:09:38

There are marks on the eye glass.  Hard to see them if it's grimy down there.  Basically between 1/3 and 2/3rds.  Make sure the bike is straight up and down (perfectly vertical), on level ground, and not leaning on the kick stand.  Here's a link to more info and pics.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099572561

IP Logged
retro

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #14 - 06/14/23 at 10:24:13

ThumperPaul wrote on 06/14/23 at 08:34:59:
Also managed to upload those fin pictures and there’s a place on the fork that has a gunky bit of oil. Solution for that? Or just dirty?  https://imgur.com/a/FDljlop.

I just saw these pics.  I think you have the dreaded plug/cap leak.  Look in the cavity just above the exhaust port/pipe.  You should see a nice clean nut.  If it's black with oil, this is your culprit.
Here's a link to the topic.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099227295

Good grief. I’m guessing this isn’t an easy fix…

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 12:14:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I bought back my old bike. I have a few questions!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.