Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Horrible buzzing/knocking/ticking -- cutch cover (Read 95 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Horrible buzzing/knocking/ticking -- cutch cover
05/11/23 at 14:37:29

Yo Savages,

So, here is the issue -- a few weeks ago, clutch started to slip (barnett clutch pack and springs) , I installed the shortest pushrod, solved the slipping issue, everything was running fine.

Today, I am on my way to work, I notice this absolutely awful buzzing/ticking/knocking sound, I assumed it could be the cam chain tensioner (which I have yet to replace with the Verslavy) -- but here's the thing -- when I pull in the clutch, the sound completely goes away.

Naturally I decided to call out sick and pull the clutch cover, only to find nothing out of the ordinary, no metal pieces in the case or the oil, I inspected everything I could without pulling the basket out, which I just did not feel like doing. Everything seemed fine, so I put the clutch cover back on and hit the road.

There is no loss of performance, no unusual kinks while on the road, but the ticking from the clutch cover is extremely loud -- I can actually feel knocking from exactly where the clutch basket is if I put my hand on that spot.

Any ideas? Possibly the throw-out bearing? the pressure plate bolts were tight, nothing seemed loose.  

Thanks guys

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Horrible buzzing/knocking/ticking -- cutch cov
Reply #1 - 05/12/23 at 02:28:33

When you pull on the clutch lever the release cam pushes on the pushrod and release bearing, moving the release plate to the left (away from the clutch cover).  Since the release plate rotates with the clutch, it seems like something on the release plate is contacting the clutch cover.  Possibly one of the bolts.  Another possibility would be that the large nut that holds the clutch hub on the input shaft has come loose, allowing the hub to move toward the right and result in contact between the release plate bolts and the clutch cover.  

Are there any marks on the inside of the clutch cover that would indicate contact between the bolts and the cover?

You could try checking for clearance using modeling clay.  Just put the clay anywhere you suspect there might be contact, install the clutch cover, and then rotate the engine.

Like this.

Clay_Check_Basket_Bolts_Boss2_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/15/23 at 15:52:41

Mike

Thank you for your insights -- I was just inside the motor again today and replaced the gasket, along with the release bearing (which was only minimally worn). the noise persists despite the replacement of the bearing.

I checked the lock nut, albeit without flattening the tab on the lock washer, I just put a 32mm socket on it and checked tightness by hand -- it seemed tight, the basket seemed to have no movement in any direction.

I did notice some very minor, superficial wear on the internal rod of the release arm, exactly where you have some modeling clay in your picture.

Again, no shavings in the oil, no burn marks on the clutch, no performance issues -- just a very high pitched buzzing coming from the clutch. When I look down at the release arm on the motor, I can see it vibrating, leading me to believe that it is the release arm running interference with SOMETHING (basket and clutch bolts looked totally fine. )

here is an additional thought -- I think if the pushrod was hitting that release cam, the cam would be snapped by now given how lame that sintered material is. Just food for thought.

Any other ideas? SOS!

EDIT: is it possible that using the shortest pushrod is causing a bolt from the pressure plate to hit the release arm?

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/24/23 at 15:27:25

I switched the shortest pushrod back for the middle length and the buzzing has stopped -- it was being caused by using the shortest pushrod -- the pressure plate botls were hitting the actuating arm inside the clutch cover. No real dage was done to either the cover, arm, bolts. But now the clutch slips Angry.

Has anyone else encountered issues with the different pushrod lengths?

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/17/23 at 16:40:12

I  am updating this thread because I think there is some important info here regarding pushrods.

There are posts from a member "oldfeller" claiming longer throw out rods prevent slippage -- this is the opposite of the truth. The way this clutch functions, with the rod resting against the cam on the actuating rod, shorter rods become necessary as the clutch wears, as far as I can tell.

I started this thread because, due to slippage, I switched from the middle length to the shortest length rod and it did solve the slippage, however it caused the spring bolts to grind on the actuating arm.

I have since replaced the entire clutch assembly, minus the two washers ( not the lock washer for the clutch retainment nut). And to my dismay found that using the middle length rod caused clutch slippage immediately following the replacement. I have since switched back to the shorter rod, I have ground down the pressure plate/spring bolts with Emory cloth, and the buzzing from Thier interference with the actuating arm has stopped.

Does anyone have any insights into what may have caused me to need to now use the shortest rod despite installing brand new Barnett clutch pack with springs, new basket, new oil pump gear, new throw out bearing etc?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/17/23 at 17:00:07

The Pressure Disc (part no 13) and the hub (part no 4) in the linked diagram may have a worn friction surface.  As these parts wear it will allow the screw heads for move outward.  These parts are aluminum and it appears the friction surface may be anodized or hardened in some way.....once you wear through that hardened surface the aluminum will wear quickly.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2009/boulevard-s40-ls650/...

The screws will also move outward as the fiber or steel discs wear.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/18/23 at 07:42:59

Dave,

It "clicked" for me reading that, and I think you're spot on, thank you for pointing this out it's been driving me crazy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 18:28:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Horrible buzzing/knocking/ticking -- cutch cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.