Send Topic Print
Spring Fever (Read 2922 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Spring Fever
Reply #435 - 08/10/24 at 09:22:16

I’m still alive Moto. Seems I may be having adverse reaction to quitting caffeine. I’m slowly gettin thru it , when I feel low I sneak a cup of Joe then all is well. No reason for depression, but quitting caffeine , addictive personality. It more of a chemical imbalance my body hasn’t had in 55 yrs. Caffeine addict , I’m a junkie , I just use the cup not the needle. LOL

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #436 - 08/10/24 at 09:47:04

Header was made from 2 different new headers I cut and welded together. It’s very cool , downpipe has some sexy bends. Fab up 2 brackets and weld them on and get it bead blasted. Paint it with some high heat flat black. The black pipe will pop against the light grey frame and the half pint engine. She will be a bit of an odd girl but will partner up with the tracker perfect. My skin crawls like a good horror movie when I think about buying a new cookie cutter bike. Next  full build will be my Sportster  in 2026. I want everything else  Done before I start that project for sure. In the meantime finish the rest .

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #437 - 08/10/24 at 23:34:23

Fabbed up the repackable core.  It will fit inside header and be held in place by the tailpipe. One bolt to remove and service core. Header is a tad longer than stock ,  Should save 3 to 5 lbs over stock exhaust and flow way better. And the down pipe is  Shocked stunning in my eyes. Total disregard to anyone’s opinions at this point , it’s all about ME ! Pile of stuff ready to bolt on gets bigger and bigger.  Another box of labeled bags of hardware.  Moto  knows there is no cure.   Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #438 - 08/11/24 at 16:18:38

Smiley

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #439 - 08/12/24 at 11:31:04

The 250 project may be behind schedule but is nearing 2 critical legs of the journey. Assembly of chassis and  resealing engine. Chassis should be a relatively quick & easy. Resealing the engine I rebuilt some 40 years ago  without installing a big bore kit or a performance cam. Stock bore & cam will have to do , Book says 25 H/P , 80 mph & 80 mpg ( not bad for a 1971 ). Curious to see if I made any mistakes on assembly , found one thing so far. Every piece will be cleaned & some pieces polished. Super simple tear down & build. I have a spare engine that needs rebuilt , I’ll build that after the bike is completed. Target date is still 1/1/25.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #440 - 08/16/24 at 21:26:32

Ya know, Rutt - I still have that header you said you wanted.   Roll Eyes

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #441 - 08/17/24 at 11:28:13

I almost ordered a set of Tomaselli Condor cafe bars for the 250 project. Would be a dramatic change. Also considered using some performance tires too !  I know I could get the 250 by a lot of bikes of larger displacement in the twisties. I can see tiny beads of sweat on Dave’s forehead as he reads this , cause he knows. Wouldn’t be fare a 650 & 650 , I like the odds of a 250 schooling a 650 on how to hold your line. As  getting passed on the inside can be discouraging , while being passed on the outside by a 250 might be something your ego will have to deal with  for a spell !    Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #442 - 08/18/24 at 08:43:30

Ruttly wrote on 08/17/24 at 11:28:13:
 I know I could get the 250 by a lot of bikes of larger displacement in the twisties. I can see tiny beads of sweat on Dave’s forehead as he reads this , cause he knows. Wouldn’t be fare a 650 & 650 , I like the odds of a 250 schooling a 650 on how to hold your line.   Cool

If you get to choose the weapons.....I get to choose the location. Wink

I can find plenty of really twisty roads with steep uphill climbs where the torque of the 650 is a huge plus!  My Cafe' bike only requires a twist of the throttle coming out of the corner to accelerate to the next curve - my 250 Ninja would require shifting down a couple of gears at every corner if I wanted to get any velocity back.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #443 - 08/19/24 at 12:21:20

I was right about the tiny beads of sweat. Relax Dave it’s still in pieces.   Roll Eyes

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #444 - 09/08/24 at 21:29:48

I out voted myself , the 250 will remain as planned with stupid wide flat track bars and D404s , no cafe bars and racing shoes. D404s are a great all around tire , I would like to try them on a flat track. 250 has the stock seat long , wide & comfy. Also has passenger pegs that act as rear sets in a pinch. Even with wide bars I have room to get tucked in unlike the tracker , very cramped to get tucked in and then I can’t hold that position for long. Had it out for a couple of errands Saturday , got to jump 2 R/R crossings , big fun. She’s a great bike , I love big singles !

« Last Edit: 09/14/24 at 11:57:38 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #445 - Today at 04:37:09

Thought I was losing my touch. I bought some inner tubes on amazon a 2fer deal , forget the price. Watoday 4.00-4.10 18 was the brand. So I want to add I haven’t pinched a tube in over 30 years. So mounted a rear tire with one of these tubes , perfect no issues for 5 days. Loading truck for a trip and hear rushing air , 1st tube failure. Return from trip , replace failed tube with the other new tube. Bout 10 days go by , I glance at tire/wheel flat again , 2nd tube failure. These are junk tubes , do not buy these. I use a bit of corn starch in tire and on tube , air , release , air back up to let tube straighten itself in tire. No evidence of being pinched , both tube failed near tread area ! Nowhere near  an area where it could have been pinched. Older not as strong as I used to be but still do my own tire work , I enjoy doing tires. Never had such crappy tubes thought I was going crazy !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #446 - Today at 05:50:23

I figure I lost at least 4 months of build time while being sick with kidney stone. Better now and still trying to stick with 12/31/24 as a completion date even if I know it won’t happen. Hopefully by next year only the wiring and a tune will remain. By spring and if the vintage gods approve the 250 will be Thumpin once again , 40 something years later. It’s been a very satisfying build and it doesn’t even roll yet ! Friends are still shaking their heads and asking why a 250. Everyone of them will beg to ride the half pint and then comeback smiling !     Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 13:12:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › Spring Fever

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.