Send Topic Print
First Ride (Read 22 times)
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
First Ride
03/06/23 at 19:19:36

I finally gave the 2012 I bought with 824 miles on it a shot and rode it yesterday in the subdivision.  I don't have a license plate for it yet.  I had changed the tires, filters, plug, oil, and petcock.  I actually had a NOS plug from 2007/8 from when I had a 2003 Savage.  Ahh, nostalgia  :'( .    Anyway, once it warmed up, it wasn't half bad.  It got a little hot idling when I was fooling with the air mixture screw.  It smelled lean, so I may need to back the screw out even more.  It does the trademark pop after shutoff, which made me smile.  It hesitates off the line, but power doesn't seem abnormally low.  There's some carb tuning ahead or a carb replacement.  It ran surprisingly well, and the crankcase didn't fill up with gas this time.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: First Ride
Reply #1 - 03/06/23 at 19:41:00

Be sure and have it idled up to at least 1000-1200 rpm so oil keeps getting to the cam bearing at the top of the motor .    It's a long way to the top of the motor and Suzuki uses a low pressure/High Volume oil delivery system.  So never let it idle for long periods on the side stand and keep it spinning at a nice rapid pace !   Smiley
Some of the other fellers here that have over 100,000 miles their LS650's probably have the best advice for ya.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Re: First Ride
Reply #2 - 03/07/23 at 16:54:49

Thanks for the tip!  That sucker was idling pretty fast.  I kept adjusting it down.  I don't like long periods of idling, ever, but I was really trying to dial in the air screw.

MMRanch wrote on 03/06/23 at 19:41:00:
Be sure and have it idled up to at least 1000-1200 rpm so oil keeps getting to the cam bearing at the top of the motor .    It's a long way to the top of the motor and Suzuki uses a low pressure/High Volume oil delivery system.  So never let it idle for long periods on the side stand and keep it spinning at a nice rapid pace !   Smiley
Some of the other fellers here that have over 100,000 miles their LS650's probably have the best advice for ya.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 07:53:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › First Ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.