Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What makes a starter do this? (Read 43 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
What makes a starter do this?
03/02/23 at 05:42:13

I've seen it on cars,and a friends welder..
Hit the start circuit, gears mesh, starter spins engine over a bit, then the starter disengages the flywheel and spins up ,unloaded..
Whiiing!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: What makes a starter do this?
Reply #1 - 03/02/23 at 06:19:00

Some starters don't have a solenoid to shove the starter gear out to the flywheel.  The electric starter rotor spins up almost instantly when you hit the switch, and the little gear is a bit slower to spin up.....so it moves out the threads on the starter shaft and engages the flywheel gear - and is held in that position by the torque as the engine is cranking.

If one of the cylinders fire - it can make the flywheel gear move faster than the little starter gear....and that causes the little gear to move away from the flywheel gear on move back toward the starter motor.  Now the starter rotor and little gear are spinning at the same speed.....so the little gear doesn't move back toward the flywheel.  (You have to shut the starter off and allow it to stop...so that the inertia can once again send the little gear toward the flywheel gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua6czAxOEs4

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 03/02/23 at 06:51:19

Well, duhh! And the starter I'm talking about works as you described..
So now I'm wondering how long the new starter is gonna work out..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 03/02/23 at 09:18:11

JOG , Take a minute and clean All the connections then make sure they are All tight. Everything between battery and starter , All the grounds too !  If it fixes it you have only invested time not a dime and spared yourself the frustration when the new starter doesn’t fix it ! What are we working on ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 03/02/23 at 15:44:31

It's a welder . My friend already replaced the starter. To even get to it, he had to pull the unit outta the back of the truck. He brought the old starter over, but I couldn't see a reason to go in.. He Really doesn't want an old starter after he did the work to get the welder outta the truck.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/02/23 at 18:41:55

well the 1st thing to do is put battery cables to it see if it jumps.

if it's the kind where a solenoid pushes out the gear to engage the flywheel then check that.

he may not want to fix it again but he may have to.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 03/02/23 at 20:38:10

Well,, he came by and showed us me the old one. He already had the new one in and I Think he had his rig back in the truck. He lives south of Tyler about fifteen miles and it's about 45 to the South end of Tyler,, He just wanted to let me be Confused about it, too. And he took me to Gilmer with him we met some friends of his and ate . He didn't Want me taking it apart and cleaning it up or anything, because it Does work.
I Am gonna call him and tell him what Dave said.

This isn't the first starter I've seen do that. It's a good feeling to have an idea what causes them are to disengage and free wheel..

Thank You, Dave.. I appreciate that.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/04/23 at 03:17:17

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/02/23 at 20:38:10:
I Am gonna call him and tell him what Dave said.

This isn't the first starter I've seen do that. It's a good feeling to have an idea what causes them are to disengage and free wheel..

Thank You, Dave.. I appreciate that.

You are welcome....glad I could help.

The starter may be fine - the rest of the engine could need a tune up so that it starts and runs on all cylinders.  The starter disengages when the first cylinder fires.....evidently only one cylinder is firing and the rest don't kick in immediately.

There are a lot of younger folks who have never had the pleasure of starting an old car on a cold morning....one that has a carb, manual choke and thick oil.  My first car was a 1950 Plymouth with a flathead inline six  (I got it in 1972],  It had a six volt electrical system, and on cold winter mornings (after the car sat out all night) it would not start.....it would just crank slowly.  I would park the car on the sloping drive that led up to the top of the barn, and that allowed me to coast down the hill and out to the public road - and I could coast down the road and pop the clutch in 2nd gear to get the car started.  For the rest of the day the car would start normally - but the first time I would start it each day it was by coasting and jump starting!  Maybe I could have avoided this by using a lighter weight oil - but I wasn't yet very knowledgeable about those kind of things.

One other feature of the car was the rust hole behind the drivers seat..it was covered by the floor mat.  When you drove in the rain it would throw a small amount of water and fine gravel up on the floor!  Sure do miss the "Good Old Days".

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 03/04/23 at 08:39:53

We had a Ford wagon with a pretty big hole behind the driver. As an added bonus the Speedo cable was busted and dragging, or,maybe the E brake,, but at night the shower of sparks coming up off the road held my attention pretty good.. Mom was all about
You're gonna get a rock in your eye,, Phhht..

The Good old Days..

Laying on the package tray,looking up at the stars in mom's 55 chevy.
Riding in the back of the truck.
The weirdest ride was when we had to haul the wings off the Aercoupe to be inspected.
I didn't weigh seventy pounds and Orval decided that I could lay on them and hold them down. Sure, they were lengthways going down the road but the wind whipping around the tailgate was enough to make the wings want to fly. It was exciting,,
Today, someone would go to jail

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/13/24 at 01:20:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › What makes a starter do this?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.