Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Performance cam in the UK!!! (Read 65 times)
Weeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Performance cam in the UK!!!
02/06/23 at 00:30:54

Hi all and thanks for letting me join.
I have just purchased my first ls650 as a non runner and I need to rebuild the engine and I the process I have found the cam and rocker badly worn!
So my question is does anyone know of a supplier of performance cam shafts as my end gole it to get a few more hp before I put the engine back in..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Performance cam in the UK!!!
Reply #1 - 02/06/23 at 02:18:30

It is not uncommon for the cam and rockers to go bad - the engine needs oil with 1,000 - 1,400  ppm of ZDDP to survive.  Modern car oils, energy saving oils and anything with a friction modifier should be avoided.

Lancer is the only source of performance cams/pistons that I know of, and he has shipped overseas before.

If you can find a Suzuki DR650 cam from 1990-95 it can also be used.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Weeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/06/23 at 04:48:13

Thanks for your hellp I will have a look for a dr cam first if I have no luck I will contact lancer. I did read something about leaving it running on the side stand can cause it to wear the inlet lobe due to lack of oil .

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/06/23 at 05:59:53

Weeman wrote on 02/06/23 at 04:48:13:
I did read something about leaving it running on the side stand can cause it to wear the inlet lobe due to lack of oil .

Low idle speed causes a lack of oil flow - the cam bearings failing are usually a sign of that issue.
Oil with low ZDDP usually causes both rockers to wear....however the exhaust rockers tend to fail more often.
Leaning on the side stand at idle can starve the right side rocker for oil.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Weeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/06/23 at 12:15:20

My mistake it is the exhaust side that has worn!
As for lancer I can't seem to find anything on Google how do I get in contact sorry to be a pain..

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #5 - 02/06/23 at 13:33:51

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 02/07/23 at 04:47:24

I hang out here.

About Performance parts; I’ve been selling and shipping performance  carburetor kits, camshafts and pistons for 17+ years, and to every continent except Africa…just never received an order from there.  
Parts:
-Stage 3 camshaft (by Webcam Inc) $429, $100 of which is a refundable cam core deposit that will be refunded upon my receipt of your usable cam core.  The cam lobes can be worn and even damaged a little, but the cam bearing surfaces must be free from excessive wear or damage.  Many customers from Europe choose to pay the cam deposit and keep their stock cam in case it’s needed at some time or to reinstall when doing an emissions check.  It’s your choice.
The stock DR650 cam, 1990-1995 model years, have a similar duration but with a bit higher lift than my Stage 3 cam.  They both use the same basic cam core.
-Carburetor Kit $429: contains 36mm Mikuni VM carb, new rubber mounting flange, custom throttle cable by Barnett, Jet Pak with extra pilot and main jets, Carburetor manual, Uni air filter.  There are 3 types of attachment for the throttle cable depending on the model year so I will need that if ordering the kit.
-High compression forged piston by Wiseco Inc.  $229.
Stock compression is 8.5:1, this one is 10.5:1+.
These pistons were custom designed for me by Wiseco.

Shipping to England today looked to be:
- Just the cam in a bubble envelope $43, or medium box $83.
-Any 2 of the items in med. box $83.
-All 3 items in a large box $99.

IP Logged
Weeman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/09/23 at 11:19:17

Hi lancer thanks for getting in contact I will definitely be in contact with you  in the near future. I have a contact in a local us air base and I have had him ship to the base for me via a relative in America this saved me the import duty so I'll have a word and get back to you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 12:24:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Performance cam in the UK!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.