Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Signals that replace brake lights (Read 108 times)
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Signals that replace brake lights
01/25/23 at 12:49:14

has anybody tried those rear turn signals that also serve as brake lights? like the late model Sportsters).
Looks like a good way to eliminate the big brake light, but the wiring looks a bit intimidating. Example at the link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224560221417?norover=1&mkevt=1&mkcid=4&mkrid=711-166...

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Signals that replace brake lights
Reply #1 - 01/25/23 at 16:16:50

Sportsters use a module for that. Can’t be that tough if you already have turn signals. Maybe some diodes you can make it happen.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/26/23 at 04:38:08

Those LED lights you linked will get you maimed or killed.  The cheap LED lights they use are just not bright enough to be seen in daylight......they are even more invisible in direct sunlight.  The small LED bulbs are not powerful or bright - it just doesn't matter how many of them you stack together in the lens - they just aren't brighter than daylight.  The eBay photos make them look bright, and even in your dark garage they will appear OK - but when you get them out on the street they just aren't bright enough to be safe.  You may be able to see them if you are looking directly at them - but the driver in the car that is being distracted by their cell phone really needs a bright light that will get their attention (something that has a DOT rating).  Lights with filament bulbs are still much better than cheap LED's.....if you want a good LED that is bright it is going to be somewhat expensive.

I used a module to convert the turn signals on the Ninja Cafe' bike I built....the tail/brake light wasn't very bright and I wanted the turn signals to add more light.  I have linked the module I used below, and it was a lot of wires to add into the mix.....if you are not good at following directions or reading wiring diagrams you will need help.
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/340-095/badlands-illuminator?srsltid=Ad5pg_G...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 01/27/23 at 11:45:07

The module on my sporty was bout $100 keeping a stock style tail & turn signals , all still incandescent bulbs(ol skool) now turn signals also act as running & stop lights too. But law says if it acts as a brake light it has to be red not amber. So I got 1 tail , 2 running , 2 turn , 3 brake lights all with red lenses. Super simple install , plug it in , under seat as I recall. A good upgrade.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/28/23 at 04:30:40

Ruttly wrote on 01/27/23 at 11:45:07:
The module on my sporty was bout $100 keeping a stock style tail & turn signals...........Super simple install , plug it in

Definitely one of the benefits of owning a "popular" bike - you can buy aftermarket stuff that fits!

The Savage is not blessed in this way - there is very little aftermarket parts that are made specifically for the Savage.  And it will only get worse now that the Savage is out of production.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 01/28/23 at 08:42:29

Well my point was how well that module actually works. Pretty sure I can achieve the same with some blocking diodes. Module on sporty does it with a single wire to the rear turn signals so it’s fluctuating voltage to the bulb. If turnsignals that have three wire hookup I can use block diodes and get same results and or eliminate tail light too. It took me several tries to get it right on the tracker. Thought I could do it with one diode but to make it proper I needed 4 diodes. Tracker has a dual tail light , so 2 tail & 2 brake & L & R signals all in the dual tail light. Was hard getting brake light to override turn signals kept at it. It works sweet ! I always keep diodes around for sorting out lighting issues. Bike looks very sleek from the rear due to lack of turn signals sticking out. It does have front turn signals , for now !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 01/28/23 at 08:58:01

It was important that the bike look clean and sleek from the back. A pleasantly appealing look for you to look at while you trying to find a way to pass. Don’t worry I’ll give you plenty of time to admire my tail light.   Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 01/28/23 at 15:33:22

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 01/28/23 at 16:34:06

But the Judge says , must have turn signals after 1974 ,  I’m good I was born in 61.   Shocked

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 01/28/23 at 17:14:49

I've given drivers who were not trusting the flashing light turn signal the hand signal only to see utter confusion on their faces. Not One has ever taken advantage of knowing what I was doing. .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/28/23 at 18:24:05

Just swing the minigun in the direction you want to go.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
TrevorKlein

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/13/23 at 00:18:11

Though its give excellent back looks but still public reviews aren't much satisfactory as its dim light and poor functioning and so on. I pulled my hand back from them after getting some opinions.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 09:46:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Signals that replace brake lights

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.