ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Valve Lash Question
11/07/22 at 10:42:59

Hey Savages,

I'm not sure if I can provide enough info to get a single diagnostic answer/solution online, but here goes...  Valves were ticking pretty good (almost a clack on a couple).  

I've completed the valve lash twice.  First time measuring before adjustment and I was beyond wide clearance spec of .13mm (or right at .13mm).  I fiddled with the feeler gauges and went .10mm on all (or close).  Test - better, still some clicking but no clacking.  So valve lash #2: I adjusted to minimum clearance of .08mm on all.  Clicking virtually (if not completely gone) on 3 valves, but I still have some pretty good ticking on the left side intake valve (or that's where I think I'm hearing it).  

So, I'm at minimum clearance spec....  Do I go beyond minimum (say to .05mm) on just the 1 intake valve?  Or is that a really bad idea?  Is this evidence of a worn cam lobe for this valve?  Or, is there a more likely culprit?  If I go to .05mm, am I compensating for a worn cam lobe?

Don't know the mileage on this bike (speedo broke/missing), but at least 15k when last reported.

Thanks in advance for any help/experience.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Valve Lash Question
Reply #1 - 11/07/22 at 12:22:45

.127 mm is five thousandths of an inch. Specs,IIRC, call for four to six thousandths.
Get the adjuster loose enough to get the feeler gauge in easy, finger snug it down, feel of the resistance to sliding, hold the adjuster so it doesn't turn while you snug the jam nut, feel of it.
I took a ninety degree bent Phillips and ground one side to make a flat blade. The other end already is a flat blade. Do it so one end is in line with the body,the other across.
I always had to bend the feeler gauge into a Z shape.
Exhaust valves get really hot, so they are going to get longer than the intake side.
The manual doesn't make a distinction between them. Most engines I've messed with want the exhaust valve a little looser than the intake. You can think about that and decide for yourself how you want to do it. We've got some really smart people here, so I'll just step in it.

Since four is good enough for the exhaust valve, and it's Gonna grow more than the intake, what is the tightest you would dare go with the intake? IDK how much longer the exhaust valve stem is at full operating temperature than the intake. And IF a guy is running it at four,and the mixture or, maybe you are stuck in traffic and it gets hotter than is good, are you risking losing your lash?
I know, it's Not like getting that Laaast bit of lift outta the cam is going to magically turn it into a fire breathing dragon, it's just something that I can't help but wonder.
I know the smart way. I'm just curious about what you guys have to say about it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/07/22 at 12:30:18

Did you follow the instructions here or in Clymers?

Clymers has you turn the crankshaft the wrong way and you end up on the wrong TDC.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 11/07/22 at 15:21:28

Thanks Justin.  I’m there. Berslagen - yeah I got that basic down.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 05:51:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Lash Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.