Send Topic Print
More Wiring Help (Read 68 times)
Utah
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

More Wiring Help
11/03/22 at 20:07:10

Just wanting to check with some of you guys on here and make sure i had the charging system wired correctly as well...Again any help is very much appreciated...attached is the wiring diagram i have...thanks you guys!!

D75A9AA1-2442-4CB4-A4ED-0D707402E7B9.jpeg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: More Wiring Help
Reply #1 - 11/03/22 at 20:22:51

Well, that's all there is to it.

WWW   IP Logged
Utah
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: More Wiring Help
Reply #2 - 11/04/22 at 01:12:43

...thank you so much for having a look...i think having the "no spark" problem and not being able to figure it out has got me doubting everything...again i appreciate you taking a look at it!

IP Logged
Utah
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fuse Box Conversion?
Reply #3 - 11/05/22 at 13:03:16

Has anyone done a successful fuse box conversion? If so would you mind sharing your wiring diagram. I have a 2000 Savage that i am trying to convert to a small fuse box wiring but am having problems now getting it to fire off. It was running before the conversion so i dont believe i have any bad part(i also bench tested everything that i could). I have another post on here asking for wiring help that has my wiring diagram attached. Any help would be sooooo greatly appreciated,i am pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out. Thank you for your time👏🏻🤞🏻👏🏻

IP Logged
Utah
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Simplified Wiring Help 2000 Savage
Reply #4 - 11/03/22 at 20:03:32

PLEASE HELP!!!! I am on the tail end of rewiring and simplifying(pr so i thought)my bike...I had reached what i thought was the end of the project but i have no spark...I bench tested the pickup coil and ignition coil...i have a spare cdi that i tried as well and still nothing...i am assuming i have wired something wrong as the bike was running before...i am definitely new to motorcycle mechanics...i have attached my wiring diagram can anyone help me sort this out? I also have a question...is there a positive and negative side to the ignition coil(i looked for markings but saw none)...any help offered would be greatly appreciated

F9A0B36F-5C4C-4DF0-AB24-4BF3926D038D.jpeg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Simplified Wiring Help 2000 Savage
Reply #5 - 11/03/22 at 20:39:32

IDK if the coil polarity matters since I've only done stock wiring.

but you must have a good ground connection to get spark.
I assume you could touch the spark plug to the frame of the coil to test for spark.

WWW   IP Logged
Utah
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/04/22 at 01:10:28

yes sir I tried that exact thing but could not get any spark at all...i even tried holding a ground wire attached directly to the battery to the plug threads and still nothing...any opinion on the wiring diagram for the ignition,does it seem correct to you? I cant thank you enough for your reply and help!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 11/04/22 at 06:43:54

you seem to have enough connections, but you have to assume a lot to conclude it's correct.

and yet it doesn't work means you get a failing grade for your work.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 11/04/22 at 09:09:00

So, how will you move forward?
Test light or voltmeter ,checking power to the coil?
I'm not any kind of ignition guy,but something is supposed to switch on and off to create the spark.

does make a difference. Reversing the polarity on the primary side changes whether the spark will jump from the shell electrode to the center post tip or from the center post tip to the shell electrode. It is always preferred to have the spark jump from the hotter electrode to the colder hence center to shell

You don't want bakkerds electrons

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Utah
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/05/22 at 05:18:25

Thank you Justin...i did pull the ignition coil off the bike and upon closer examination did find that one of the terminals was slightly smaller than the other...and if u look real hard(i got a magnifying glass)at the base of where the terminals are you can see a + and a - mark in the plastic...i did have them wired correctly as well...the black wire with yellow stripe from the cdi supplies the ground and orange with white stripe supplies the positive(it has a 12v feed wire attached...im not sure why but the picture i attached doesnt show the full wiring diagram unless you click on the link...you were talking about something should tell it when to spark,the pickup coil(i think) is what is supposed to do that(but u cant see it in the picture unless u click on it)...again thank you so much for taking time to try and help me out it is very much appreciated! As far as moving forward,i have no clue,i am completely lost at this point...I am hoping someone maybe has done the fuse box conversion and has a working diagram or maybe can point out something i have wired incorrectly...Thanks again for any help you can offer and for your time!

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #10 - 11/06/22 at 15:05:40

Your drawing is way simplified which is nice, but it might be missing some vital connections.  

I remember I had some issues redoing mine because of permissives involved with the run switch that runs in series with the side stand relay.  I think that connection has to be made to run, not severed.

You might want to check all the permissives closely on the drawing and ensure you have whats needed for the ignition to allow it to run.

http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/2007-2009_Wiring_Diagram.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
Utah
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/06/22 at 16:20:07

Hey SpamyToo...i'm sorry but i'm not sure what you mean by permissives since you said something about the sidestand though i think what youre talking about is like the side stand safety switch and neutral safety switch etc etc...before i did this rewire i had already removed an bypassed all the safety switches(i didnt know they were called permissives)...and this diagram doesnt include the lights or the brake light,horn etc...all that seems to be working correctly...since its just and ignition problem that system is all i included...i think on another post i did include the charging system but it was a separate drawing altogether...there is nothing that i can tell that would be prohibiting fire since the components in the diagram are all the components...no outside switches or per-missives(thank you for giving them a name for me)are in the system at all...i even removed the ignition key the whole thing is set up with a knife switch to kill power to the entire bike...thank you so much for your time and knowledge it is very much appreciated

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 11/07/22 at 17:02:02

It might be a good idea to go back and be absolutely certain your work is holding up. If you accidentally hit something and it has a safety interlock working instead of bypassed, meh,, you get the picture..
It was starting and running and you wanted to streamline the wiring harness, correct?
If that is true, then why question all the stuff that was working? If it's not starting I'd be going back to what you eliminated and look at the places you put jumpers to bypass the interlocks. It's been years since I looked at, or had the book. I don't remember how to bypass the sidestand switch. Seems like there are diodes in the area, but I can't imagine why.
Just think about what you got rid of and study the wiring diagram.
When you bypassed everything and it started and ran, you know where you bypassed the safety switches. When you went deeper into the wiring harness,and then bypassed them, were there any connections that led off somewhere else that you should have left in the circuit?
Pardon my rambling, I'm clutching at straws.
It might help if you could give us a rundown on how you got to where you are.
Or, if you already have and it's in another place, point me to it.
The point I'm clumsily trying to make is
If the coil and cdi  and the signal generator on the flywheel were all working and you went into the wiring harness, unless you blew the CEO up with the battery, nothing changed. You didn't leave the battery hooked up while you did all that, did you? Key on?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Utah
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/07/22 at 21:43:47

Hey Justin,i really appreciate all your help...a little backstory...the bike was running fine...had just put a new mikuni carb on and sounded great... it had been leaking oil from around the cylinder head and that little rubber plug that they thought was actually going to stop oil leaking(lol)...well i was out riding and to be honest i am not sure what happened but it blew oil all over me and the bike...at this point i had already removed all of the safety switches and the only kill switch in the system at all was the key switch itself...so i went ahead and did the cylinder head and bought the upgraded rubber plug...stabbed it all back together and as soon as i hooked the battery up it tried to crank without the switch being on...it was a bad starter relay...it had soaked with oil so i decided at this point why not go ahead and do the fuse box conversion i had been wanting to do...I basically stripped all and i mean all of the wiring out of the bike at this point alll 5000 miles of it(lol)...i had found a wiring diagram on here and followed it but there were a few things i was unclear on...mainly the wiring for the cdi...now of course when i wired it all now i am getting no spark...my wiring diagram doesnt show the push button for the starter or the lights,didnt see a real need to include those...if you look there is only one switch in the whole diagram that kills and connects power to the whole bike and all its systems so all the safetys and diodes and whatnot are no longer and issue...i have seen a couple of diagrams since then and they seem to pretty much be the same as mine...i am truly at a loss...one thought i had was if the timing were far enough out could it cause a no spark? Though i was extremely careful and have checked the timing since i put the bike back together and it lines up tdc on the compression according to the timing mark. i have also wondered if the other cdi i had was bad??? Maybe if the original was ruined by oil and then my spare was bad? i ordered it off ebay so cant be 100% that it worked even though it looked to be new old stock...So here i sit pulling my hair out,lol...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 11/08/22 at 03:18:49

It's just after five, I'm not awake, just to be clear
The bike was Not starting and running when you decided to take the opportunity to modify stuff.
Is that correct?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/28/24 at 23:20:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › More Wiring Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.