Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Top end damage and rebuild (Read 391 times)
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Top end damage and rebuild
10/24/22 at 03:54:43

HI guys.
I decided to consolidate my issue into this thread to make it easier. The reason Im posting it in this section of the forum is because I need advice as to what to purchase and if its even repairable.

As some are aware I was about to sell my 87 Savage. I had 4 buyers at 4800 AUD. I paid 1500 for the bike and spent 1000 on transport and parts, so I looked at a tidy 2300aud profit.
Unfortunately, when I was giving it one last check I noticed it had gotten quite noisy. There was also steel in the oil and filter along with some aluminium
I am not the type of person to sell a bike with issues unless it's sold for parts so I opened up the top end, optimistic that Id still make a profit after the repairs. If I find more serious damage, I will get an upgraded piston and cam.

Here is a link to the sound of the engine. Even after adjusting the valves to 0.10mm it was tapping loud.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/SbAMFCubTto

Removing the valve cover I immediately noticed a massive issue and the primary source of the ferrous metal in the oil. The intake valve rocker looked like it had been hit with an angle grinder. The exhaust rocker, while not near as bad was pitted.

Compress_20221024_170523_32371.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Top end damage and rebuild
Reply #1 - 10/24/22 at 03:57:23

The previous owner changed the timing chain. So I believe these issues arrived after improper reassembly, for example, he forgot to replace the large  timing sprocket washer (part number 1274744001).
I can also recall when I went to purchase the bike I had seen several videos of the bike idling on its kick stand. At the time of purchase I was not aware of the dangers of this.

Compress_20221024_202907_77221.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/24/22 at 04:03:06

The cam lobes seem ok. But the journals on the clutch side are trashed. Im guessing this is the source of the aluminium looking flakes in the filter and oil. Here is the image of the head cover journal on the sprocket.

journal.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/24/22 at 04:06:09

here is the lower journal on the sprocket side

Compress_20221024_202328_87681.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/24/22 at 04:14:11

I next went to remove the head and was not really pleased to find that the head nut that secures the head via the exhaust port stud was completely round. I had to cut the stud to get it off so add a new stud to the parts list.

The exhaust valves are jet black. The intake valves look a bit toasty. But not too bad. They may clean up fine but if it's all out they may as well get replaced too.

Compress_20221024_202328_82011.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/24/22 at 04:17:27

The top of the piston is a copper color with some greasy sut that I was able to wipe away without too much effort. no pitting or damage to the rings, skirts or top.

There is barely any rotational movement in the pin but it is very very very slightly there. I was also able to slightly move the piston inside the cylinder. Only about 1/4 of a mm put should it impossible to move the piston at all in the sleeve?

Compress_20221024_202328_85771.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/24/22 at 04:20:24

The cylinder has no honing marks left. Only slight up and marks from the rings but nothing I can feel or catch a nail on.

Compress_20221024_202327_76521.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/24/22 at 04:22:45

The cam seems pretty good. No real pittling on the lobes but a couple of chips on the edges. Not surprised given that rocker.

Compress_20221024_202907_70751.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/24/22 at 04:23:16

More of the cam

So from here what is my best course of action? Are the journals repairable at all? Seems like there's no luck on the forums with that.  Should I just source a new head?  Or just smooth the bearing and install a new cam and hope for the best ? The cam will be replaced as I am not comfortable using it so Ill see if the postage isn't out of this world to get one from Lancer to here in Australia.

The rest of the valve train is easily replaced. The only roadblocks will be those journals and that bloody stud I had to cut. If anyone knows anyone selling a head and cover in Australia or would sell cheap as postage is huge, please do let me know.

I really appreciate the help guys.
« Last Edit: 10/24/22 at 06:15:51 by Moarpower »  

Compress_20221024_202907_75441.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/24/22 at 07:41:49

This guy had his repaired.

Compress_20221025_004133_3313.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/24/22 at 07:50:39

It's my understanding that the head and cover are assembled, then line bored for the cam. That would make them actually a matched pair, Best kept together.
Others have replaced a head and I don't know of a failure because of a misalignment with the cam.
IDK what having the bearing surfaces repaired would cost, and just a head won't help with the bottom side,
Too bad they didn't use bearings in there.

Corrected cover for cylinder  -v1

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #11 - 10/24/22 at 07:57:24

Later model rockers have a hardened pad to ride on the cam lobe.  They are a direct bolt in from the early style you have.  Mine is an '87 as well, and I am going to install these.  My rockers and cam lobes were shot, but my bearing surfaces were still good.  The cam cover and head are match bored so if you find someone who can repair the head the cam cover will require the same treatment.  If it were me, and I wanted to restore the engine to operational status, the entire thing would need disassembly, inspection, and a thorough cleaning (including all oil passages).  This would include measuring all wear surfaces on all moving parts with accurate measuring tools = micrometers, bore gages, etc.  Sorry to see this, but you have a serious issue on your hands.  Kudos for being an upstanding person and not trying to sell it off to someone else as a running bike.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 10/24/22 at 08:47:49

I'd check the clearance on the journals 1st with those compressible strips.
Then polish them and check again.

WWW   IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/24/22 at 14:36:34

verslagen1 wrote on 10/24/22 at 08:47:49:
I'd check the clearance on the journals 1st with those compressible strips.
Then polish them and check again.

I need to purchase measuring tools. Sorry, what do you mean by compressible strips? Do you know the range for the clearances ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 10/24/22 at 15:34:51

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 02:16:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Top end damage and rebuild

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.