Send Topic Print
exhaust backfire (Read 28 times)
wiguzziman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

exhaust backfire
10/01/22 at 12:10:12

Hey everyone,
Been ridin' and enjoyin' my 96 Savage this summer.  Have it set up pretty much the way I want it.  The bike runs good and pulls strong.  Only one issue that kinda bugs me; the exhaust backfire.  I have several other 500 & 600cc singles and none of them has this annoying issue.  Seems like every time that I shift to the next gear the exhause backfires; just one fairly loud pop and then that's it.  I usually shift at around 4000 rpm.  I don't get any backfire on the over run, just when I'm shifting up through the gears.

I am running the stock carb that has been rejetted as per the recommendations on this forum.  Idle mixture plug removed and the mixture screw adjusted to give the best idle.  I'm running the stock air box with a K&N filter and no cover.  The exhaust is the stock pipe with an extension on the end and a D&D exhaust can.  When I got the bike it had a Super Trapp muffler and a from the factory stock carb.  It had the same backfire issue set up this way as well.  Can this have anything to do with the air cut off diaphragm?  I haven't checked this yet.  Was just wondering if anyone has a cure for this backfiring issue?  Carry on!!  wiguzziman

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: exhaust backfire
Reply #1 - 10/01/22 at 12:27:43

There are probably several hundred threads about this issue. What did you learn when you researched the issue? Which remedies did you try?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
wiguzziman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/01/22 at 12:53:53

Gary,
I tried to find some info by doing a search and came up with just a couple of comments about people who had just bought a Savage and reported the backfiring issue.  Don't know if I'm doing the searches right, but have tried searches before on other topics and didn't have much luck finding results with them either.  Could you give me some links to that info?  Thanks!!
Carry on!!  wiguzziman

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #3 - 10/01/22 at 13:13:42

you wanna have real fun blip the throttle just as you shut the ignition off lol. kapow.  dont close the throttle all the way when shifting will help quite a bit.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/01/22 at 14:51:26

wiguzziman wrote on 10/01/22 at 12:10:12:
Hey everyone,
Been ridin' and enjoyin' my 96 Savage this summer.  Have it set up pretty much the way I want it.  The bike runs good and pulls strong.  Only one issue that kinda bugs me; the exhaust backfire.  I have several other 500 & 600cc singles and none of them has this annoying issue.  Seems like every time that I shift to the next gear the exhause backfires; just one fairly loud pop and then that's it.  I usually shift at around 4000 rpm.  I don't get any backfire on the over run, just when I'm shifting up through the gears.

I am running the stock carb that has been rejetted as per the recommendations on this forum.  Idle mixture plug removed and the mixture screw adjusted to give the best idle.  I'm running the stock air box with a K&N filter and no cover.  The exhaust is the stock pipe with an extension on the end and a D&D exhaust can.  When I got the bike it had a Super Trapp muffler and a from the factory stock carb.  It had the same backfire issue set up this way as well.  Can this have anything to do with the air cut off diaphragm?  I haven't checked this yet.  Was just wondering if anyone has a cure for this backfiring issue?  Carry on!!  wiguzziman

This is probably the TEV

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1523820886

But it could be an air leak in the header.  check for leaks with a lit candle.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:25:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › exhaust backfire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.