Igniter Box Checkout (Read 45 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Igniter Box Checkout
09/28/22 at 19:41:04

In response to Yazman’s recent Igniter Unit problem, I thought it might be a good idea to try and capture resistance and continuity data on a known-good late model igniter box.  The factory service manual offers a checkout table for the older igniter boxes (like 1988 thru 1997), but there’s no info on the late model igniter boxes.

I have an old junker box I bought off eBay.  It’s my spare.  Always need a spare when your relying on an electrical component powered by voodoo.  I had never tried the jalopy igniter box.  First order of biz was to make sure it worked.

Here you can see my concern.  The potting on this thing looked like it had gravel aggregate mixed in.  Also had a few chunks of the potting compound missing.  Is this stuff polyurethane or silicone, anybody know?

Potting_Questionable_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Igniter Box Checkout
Reply #1 - 09/28/22 at 19:41:39

The pins looked good, and it looked like the correct box (8 pins).

Beater_Box_Socket__Pins_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 09/28/22 at 19:42:30

I threw the junker igniter box on my hotrod and fired it up.  Ran perfect.  Looks like she’s a keeper.

I removed the spare igniter box and did a thorough wring out.  I figured the thing would probably be polarity sensitive.  There’s gotta be a bunch of diodes in the contraption.  So, I did resistance/continuity checks in one direction, and then reversed the meter leads and checked it again in the other direction.

Here are the readings on a late model box that is working.  It might prove helpful if you are in a pickle.

Igniter_Pins_Resistance_4.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 09/28/22 at 19:43:14

After I was done with the checks, I put the jalopy igniter box on my bike and made sure that it still worked.  I used a digital meter for the checks, and as I understand, a digital meter is unlikely to fry any sensitive components.  To be sure, I installed the box and verified that it was still working.  It started up and ran fine.  Success.

If you do these checks, I recommend you use a digital meter.  The analog meters push a bit of current through the circuit and might harm something in the box.  I’m sure we have some twigets on this forum.  Any of you electrical/electronic gurus have any suggestions on wringing this thing out?  Did I do OK?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 09/28/22 at 21:36:47

Next to cracking it open for a look , dam fine job. Not sure if you could use same technique for other components too. I don’t see why not. It will definitely work on testing stator too. Takes some time coming up with specs you can use. Haven’t needed any of it for the Savage , my old SR500 I had made my own tests for cdi & stator $ p/u and then I found those same tests in a Yamaha manual but their specs had a temperature to test at and then it gave you a range +/-  to get you readings. Easy , time consuming!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #5 - 09/29/22 at 06:40:20

Here's a readout on my busted unit. Looks like pins 4 & 5 are open/dead?

No joke, I'm trying to talk my electrical engineer buddy into making these for sale. The stealership wanting $800 is WRONG! I'm gonna go rogue and make these myself, and Suzuki can kiss my butt. A $1500 motorcycle that has a $800 part is just insane.

IMG_20220929_0939320952.jpg

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/29/22 at 08:16:15

A $1500 motorcycle that needs a $800 part is just totalled.

FIFY

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/29/22 at 08:27:58

I'm no smart guy with electronics, despite the months of training that gave me a little bit more credits than necessary for an associates degree in electronics, but it seems to me that the Igniter box has an input from the timing pulse detector and runs that through some amplifying circuit and then that lights off the plug.
I wonder what kinda circuitry would have to go into that.
The pickup on the crankshaft has to produce a pulse. It's Not as if it's the size of the magnet and pickup on a lawnmower, it's not enough of a pulse to make a transformer fire the plug, right? So what can we do with it? Forward bias a big transistor and allow battery voltage to hit the coil?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 09/30/22 at 12:13:03

Yazman. thanks very much for the readings.  I agree, your #4 pin looks exceptionally low.  Did you try reversing polarity.  What happens when you reverse the leads (black/red)?

Do you happen to have readings for black #3 to red #4, and black #6 to red #5?

I did a wring out on my other ignition box.  The readings were different but not so super low like yours.  The variations were confined to the pins with high resistance.  For instance, instead of reading infinity on some of the pins, I got like 6 to 7 megohms.  A couple had 20 megohms.  A megohm is one-million ohms, so I'm not sure there's much difference between infinity and six-million in the world of 12 volts.  Can anyone elaborate on this?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 03:08:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Igniter Box Checkout

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.