Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
No spark, good coil, 12v @ coil, battery charged (Read 168 times)
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
No spark, good coil, 12v @ coil, battery charged
09/23/22 at 14:17:07

I'm getting pretty demoralized and hopeless. It's been about a week since my bike ran, and I've been working on it every day after I put the kids to bed.

First thing I did when I bought bike after starting it was power wash it, and it wouldn't start for a day after that. My brother-in-law who was the previous owner said that he got it wet once it wouldn't start for 4 days. I just never got the bike wet since and things were fine.

I tied it up some wiring on the left handlebar, and went to take a ride to my bike. Lights all came on like normal and it cranked fine, but it sounded like no spark at all. Pulled the spark plug boot, put a plug in it, and grounded it against the cylinder head and nothing. I've gone through four coils and no spark. I used my ohm meter on all the coils and they are good. I have 12.1v at both signal and power tab on the coil.

I checked the wires that run down by the pulley, and they seem fine up to the point they go inside the other housing (didn't pull that off because I just changed the oil). I cleaned up the engine ground down to bare metal just in case. I looked at the cdi, but I have no idea what I'm looking at or how to test it. I've checked almost all the plugs and wiring, and I don't see anything suspect. Otherwise, the bike acts completely like it does normally. All the lights and other functions are the same.

2011 RYCA bobber

Please help fellers!

IMG_20220923_165520322_1.jpg

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Re: No spark, good coil, 12v @ coil, battery charg
Reply #1 - 09/23/22 at 14:27:04

I guess the thing I was looking at is the rectifier. I found the igniter box. It looks like it has aquarium gravel or something glued onto the back. I don't really know what to do here

IMG_20220923_172605508.jpg

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/23/22 at 15:26:20

If you know that the bike has a problem with getting wet, then that's the 1st place I'd start.

Check the connectors and make sure they're dry.
Being that there's no spark, I'd also check the timing sensor.
when you're cranking, what's the voltage on the battery?
if it drops below 10v, the TCI(CDI to some) will quit working.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/23/22 at 15:37:15

I don't own WD40.
It's Not a good lubricant or penetrating oil,it's Water Displacement.
You might want some. If I was fighting your fight, I'd be thinking about it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #4 - 09/23/22 at 15:40:39

Thanks Verslagen & justin_o_guy2 for your replies,

I'll check the voltage when cranking. I have been spraying WD40 in the connectors (still more to go) with no luck. The bike hasn't been wet since I washed it weeks ago though

How do I check the timing sensor? I'm going through the manual, but I don't see how.

IP Logged
Smith2
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 09/23/22 at 15:50:22

If the coil is good but no spark, have you checked you spark plug wire? It may have disconnected in the boot.

IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #6 - 09/23/22 at 16:21:54

Smith2 wrote on 09/23/22 at 15:50:22:
If the coil is good but no spark, have you checked you spark plug wire? It may have disconnected in the boot.

Thanks, I checked the resistance from the trigger and power tab to the spark plug boot and I get about 22k ohms. It's within spec, so I think it should be good. I appreciate the help!

IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #7 - 09/23/22 at 17:04:40

Battery dips to 10.8-10.9v while cranking

IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #8 - 09/23/22 at 17:09:30

I think I may have found something! This box was stuck to the connector really hard. When I finally pried it apart, both the box blades and the connector were all gross and corroded. I'm going to try to clean it up and see if it works. What is this thing if I need to replace it?

IMG_20220923_2007519272.jpg

IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #9 - 09/23/22 at 17:32:10

Nope. Cleaned it with a Dremel and nothing. Also sprayed every connecter, and nothing. I guess I'm looking at CDI/ignition box or pulse thing? Hope it's not the box, I see them going for $200-300 used  Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/23/22 at 17:54:52

Bummer

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 09/23/22 at 18:05:08

Those are some crusty lookin spades.  You are on the right track.  I wouldn't be using a pressure washer on your bike.  I never turn a hose on mine.  Just use a bucket and a wet towel to wipe the beast down every now and then.

I believe you have the old-style igniter unit.  Your bike is an 87 right?

The old-style igniters should have nine active spades.  Does your picture cut off some of the spades?  I could be wrong, but there are probably ten spades on the old-style igniters, nine are active and one is not used.  This illustration identifies the active spades.

Igniter_Spades_Old_Style.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 09/23/22 at 18:09:13

The illustration doesn't show a spade at the upper right-hand corner, but your picture shows a spade in the upper right-hand corner.  I'm guessin that the spade in question is inactive.

So, assuming that the illustration agrees with your igniter unit, then the spade in location #6 is not used, or inactive.  Your spade at location #7 looks burnt.  I circled it in green.

Yazmans_Ignitor_Suspect_Spade.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #13 - 09/23/22 at 18:13:31

The box that has the crusty connectors is actually a small box a bit larger than a 9v battery. It's not the CDI ignitor that has the corroded stuff. I'm not sure what that small box is.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 09/23/22 at 18:19:04

See how that spade is black.  The factory service manual identifies spade #7 as connecting to the black wire that goes to the starter motor hot cable.  So that pin #7 gets hotted up when you run the starter.  That might be useful info.

Can you post a picture of the entire spade socket, a picture that shows all of your spade connectors on the igniter unit?

BTW, the fact that your #7 spade is black doesn't necessarily mean that it is burnt.  The black coloration could simply be corrosion or some other crud.  Your plan to clean the spades and their female counterparts is the way to go.  Very interested to hear how that works out, and I'm also very curious about what your full igniter socket looks like, exactly how many spades are in there, condition of all the spades, condition of the female connecter terminals, etc.

Good luck.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 21:27:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No spark, good coil, 12v @ coil, battery charged

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.