Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Objective performance mod data? Dyno, 0-60, etc? (Read 86 times)
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Objective performance mod data? Dyno, 0-60, etc?
09/12/22 at 11:11:57

Yo! My RYCA S40 is about 80lbs lighter than stock, has a jet kit, and a free-flowing intake and exhaust. I'm trying to get a sense of how much of a performance increase I could expect from a VM38, stage 3 cam, and high-compression piston.

I hear a lot of things like "much more torque/feels faster," and I'm sure that's true, but it's there any data that's not from the "butt dyno"? Anyone compare 0-60 or top speed before and after, or have dyno numbers?

In other words, I don't wanna shell out several hundred bucks and spend hours working on the engine for like half a second faster 0-60. I want to get an objective and quantitative answer. Not trying to make a crotch rocket, but I'm looking for enough of a performance increase to justify the cash and time

Thanks!

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Re: Objective performance mod data? Dyno, 0-60, et
Reply #1 - 09/12/22 at 12:57:31

DragBikeMike has done extensive testing and timing the performance differences on many modifications.  You can find a lot if information here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1615569533

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 09/12/22 at 17:52:58

Yazman, I think this project is just what you are looking for.  It is a ten-part project that starts with a bone-stock LS650 and modifies it in steps, starting from the simplest and cheapest mods and culminates with a big-bore high compression engine.  Complete quantitative data is taken at each stage of modification and compared to previous performance.  Seems to me it's just what you are looking for.  Sorry, no dyno data, prohibitively expensive and time consuming.  But it does record very accurate timed data that conclusively demonstrates performance improvements.

The link will connect you with the last part of the project (Part 10), but it (Part 10) also includes nine links to parts 1 through 9.  I think it will give you a good idea of what to expect.   Have no fear, it won't blow up unless you get carried away like I did.
Shocked

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1645499584

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #3 - 09/12/22 at 17:59:13

Awesome! Thank you both. That is just what I was looking for!

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #4 - 09/16/22 at 12:33:20

Do you have to run premium gas with the 94mm high comp piston?

How much performance benefit would a 36/38mm carb and DR650/stage 3 without a high comp piston give? Is it way better to just do all three?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 09/16/22 at 17:17:41

Yes, premium fuel is a must with the high compression piston.

If you review the Evolution of a Hotrod posts, you will see exactly how much of an improvement each mod makes.  The project is set up so that you can do the modifications incrementally.  I tested the mods as they were accomplished so you will get a good idea as to how much of an improvement in acceleration you realize from each modification.  The tests were done in 2nd gear, 3rd gear, and 5th gear so you can see if the mod favors low end, high end, or both.  There's also fuel economy data, temperature data, noise data, and seat-o-da-pants vibration eval.

Don't waste time or money on a 36mm carb.  Go to a 38mm or a 40mm.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #6 - 09/16/22 at 19:54:59

DragBikeMike wrote on 09/16/22 at 17:17:41:
Yes, premium fuel is a must with the high compression piston.

If you review the Evolution of a Hotrod posts, you will see exactly how much of an improvement each mod makes.  The project is set up so that you can do the modifications incrementally.  I tested the mods as they were accomplished so you will get a good idea as to how much of an improvement in acceleration you realize from each modification.  The tests were done in 2nd gear, 3rd gear, and 5th gear so you can see if the mod favors low end, high end, or both.  There's also fuel economy data, temperature data, noise data, and seat-o-da-pants vibration eval.

Don't waste time or money on a 36mm carb.  Go to a 38mm or a 40mm.

Your data is extremely useful! I went through and added up all the times after each mod you made (e.g., stock = 47 seconds cumulatively for the four RPM pulls you measured, after cam, carb, exhaust, intake = 21 seconds). It seems like air, exhaust, and rejet alone is a 44.6% increase over stock. Adding a cam and bigger carb is a 55.3% increase over stock, flywheel, port, and hi comp 94mm is a 63.4% increase, and going 97mm brings it up to 64%. I know there are other ways to look at these data (e.g., looking at each gear instead), but this gives me a rough idea of whether it's worth it to me.

I'm absolutely astonished that simply opening up the intake and exhaust provides such a huge benefit. It seems to be the most "bang for the buck." I was hoping for how expensive and difficult the bigger carb and cam are, they would give more than just a 10% increase over just intake, exhaust, and jetting. It really does seem like diminishing returns with performance mods.

I have a knack for taking perfectly working things and destroying them in the name of "making them better." I'll think I'll just do the cam chain mod and call it a day! Grin

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #7 - 09/16/22 at 21:24:11

Ask and ye shall receive.  What you do with the data is your own choice.  Savage on!

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 04:10:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Objective performance mod data? Dyno, 0-60, etc?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.