Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What to do to a new (to me) S40... (Read 141 times)
BinMD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maryland, USA
What to do to a new (to me) S40...
09/05/22 at 11:10:14

Now the proud owner of a 2016 S40 with just 100 miles (whoo hoo!).  Aside from basic maintenance like cleaning the carb and a new battery (although it started right up), I'm looking for some thoughts on what to do to make the bike even mo' betta (before I start really modding it)!

My priorities at the moment are:

1. Handling (Not to disparage the namesake of the forum but good grief, do all cruisers steer like paddleboats? This is my first cruiser... I've been riding sport bikes and standards forever).  I'm thinking longer shocks (12.25") and shortening the forks as required (probably about 2").  Using spacers at first until I decide on the setup and then cutting the uppers.

2. Exhaust / Carb.  I have a simple chrome cone with a baffle that will fit and am planning on a DynoJet Stage 1 kit.  I already have the exhaust (I have read that the Harley Dyna exhaust seems to be the upgrade of choice but am going to try what I have first since I already have it).  Not looking for obnoxiously loud, just want to open it up a bit... any thoughts on airbox, pod filter, etc... along with these other changes?

3. Cockpit.  I'm planning on the ditching the stock bars and doing a "standard" bar and risers for now but will probably change them later, when I decide what direction this project is going to take.

Any thoughts, guidance, opinions, comments, questions, snide remarks, etc... are welcome (well... you know, except the last one).

A quick p.s. about me...  I've been modding GS500s for a number of years (see pics) and am fairly experienced with a wrench.  I don't shy away from most mechanical projects, but still can't weld despite my best efforts.  I'm an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy and like to tinker and do things on the cheap when possible.... so no expensive suggestions that require welding.  lol.            

Picture1_001.png
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: What to do to a new (to me) S40...
Reply #1 - 09/05/22 at 11:29:53

If it starts right up and runs well, why mess with a carburetor? If it doesn't run like you want, start with Sea Foam in your gas. Give it some time to flush itself out. Unless you're some ace mechanic, and not at all concerned with possibly creating a problem.
Whatever you do, just do one thing at a time. Go slow, be methodical.
The petcock is a known troublemaker. The twelve dollar EBay Chinese knockoffs don't deliver fuel well. The Official Yamaha, about thirty bucks, is the ticket. Just to be certain I don't receive anything other than That, I walk in and buy it.
You can use a narrower rear tire and get some added handling.
The suspension? Yeah, if you don't dig it, you have to fix that.
Don't let it sit and idle on the sidestand. The high end of the cam will starve for oil.
Don't try to make it sound sexy with a low idle, either. It needs the rpm to oil right.
Sounds like you have the experience to dive right in, but you might get to ride more and wrench less if you don't.
Replacing that battery? Aww,Hayull yeah. Might be a good time to add a pigtail to make hooking up a charger for that day Someone accidentally left the key on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 09/05/22 at 11:37:48

Some people like the pod air filter. IDK if anyone ran timed tests to sixty mph before and after.
I spent some time reading about intake theory . Seems like exhaust theory is more popular. The long and short of what I came away with was
The volume of air between the filter and carburetor needs to be at least equal to the volume of air the intake stroke is gonna be suckin in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #3 - 09/05/22 at 13:32:02

re: handling:  try a DC MOTIVE top tree to lower the front 30mm, 12.5" shocks and I installed an 18" front wheel. Handles sharp as a tack! Less than $1000, worth every penny!
Cheers!  Cool
ps: I also ditched the stock risers/handlebar in favor of an Emgo superbar/short risers.
Tossing the stock seat for a flatter one helps too!

IP Logged
BinMD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maryland, USA
Reply #4 - 09/05/22 at 15:05:20

Ahhhh yes... the petcock (good catch).  That was already on my list (and ordered), I just forgot to include it.  

As far as the carb goes, my experience with carbureted bikes over the years is that when you change the pipe... a re-jet is almost a requirement to get it running optimally.  The Dynot Jet carb kits have always been spot-on for me in the past.  

I'm not too concerned about the achieving the "rumbly" sound. I did read on the forum that low idle is problematic, so I'll keep it where it belongs. I would like at least a little bit of noise coming out of the pipe though (and to lose a few pounds).  On the ride home from picking it up, every time I stopped at a light, I thought it has stalled (shhh.....).  lol.  

I'm going to hold off on the seat for now.  I suspect this is going to be a bobber or cafe build eventually, so I think I will end up replacing the seat anyway... don't want to do it twice.  

In regard to the triple tree, I've already got an extra lower and am prepared to do the top conversion depending on the bars (and build) I end up with. If I go in the cafe direction, I'll probably use the converted bottom so I can raise the fork legs and clamp some clip-ons above the top yoke.  If it ends up a bobber, I'll shorten the fork uppers and keep the stock yoke.

And I'm too cheap to change the front wheel.  lol.  

Thanks for all the input!  I'll post a build thread once it gets going.  

B.          

p.s. Not sure if I'm an "ace" mechanic... how many kills does that take?  

p.p.s.  And the key comment was ironically poignant.  I did exactly that about a month ago on my Benelli and have been getting a low voltage fault code ever since, which requires a Benelli code reader to reset, which is on back order, and which no dealer within 200 miles from me has.  Yet another reason to celebrate carbureted bikes.      

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 09/05/22 at 15:21:39

This post might give you some good info regarding your exhaust system.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1605160449

And this series of posts should provide you with good options regarding engine mods all the way from mild to wild.  The biggest bang comes for the fewest bucks.  It's the final post in the series and includes links to all the various components and mods, "A" to "Z".

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1645499584

Good luck.  Have fun.  Cool

Lovin your two GS500s.  Very nice.  Post some more pics in the cafe.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/05/22 at 15:24:19

.s. Not sure if I'm an "ace" mechanic... how many kills does that take?  

Duh,five,hello,
Talk about settled science..
And, yeah, substituting a wrench for a hammer Does count.

IP Logged
BinMD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maryland, USA
Reply #7 - 09/05/22 at 18:44:59

zipidachimp wrote on 09/05/22 at 13:32:02:
re: handling:  try a DC MOTIVE top tree to lower the front 30mm, 12.5" shocks and I installed an 18" front wheel. Handles sharp as a tack! Less than $1000, worth every penny!
Cheers!  Cool
ps: I also ditched the stock risers/handlebar in favor of an Emgo superbar/short risers.
Tossing the stock seat for a flatter one helps too!

Just checked out the Emgos... exactly what I had in mind.  Thanks!  And if I do the math right, I think that the stock front wheel with my slightly shorter (1/4") shocks and proposed fork set up, I will end up with the same geometry.  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 09/06/22 at 03:46:08

I suggest you go with genuine Mikuni jets vs. the DynoJet Kit, you will find jetting and tuning to be easier with them than with the DynoJet on this bike.

IP Logged
BinMD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maryland, USA
Reply #9 - 09/07/22 at 18:05:41

Awesome... thanks to everyone for the input.  Hoping to start some upgrades / changes in the next week or so. They will have to be piece by piece for the most part, since most days I'll ride the new bike to work and can't have it out of commission for weeks on end.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/07/22 at 20:46:28

Do you have to park it for winter or can you ride?

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 09/08/22 at 02:44:02

You may also wish to consider the Dave front pulley substitution. A little less torque. but lower cruising revs, little if any increase in maximum speed.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
BinMD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maryland, USA
Reply #12 - 09/08/22 at 06:10:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/07/22 at 20:46:28:
Do you have to park it for winter or can you ride?

I ride as long as the temperature is above 35 (ish).  I went down on some black ice about 25 years ago and once was enough to make me stop riding when the temps are low enough to freeze the roads.  I was "just riding along" and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, I was on my a**.   (ouch!)

IP Logged
BinMD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maryland, USA
Reply #13 - 09/08/22 at 06:12:25

jcstokes wrote on 09/08/22 at 02:44:02:
You may also wish to consider the Dave front pulley substitution. A little less torque. but lower cruising revs, little if any increase in maximum speed.

Thanks. I will check that out as well.  I'm not concerned about top speed.  I have sport bikes for that.  This was bought to be a fun-to-ride (non-highway) commuter that I can enjoy playing with.  

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #14 - 09/08/22 at 06:38:02

Do DBMs double wide rear pulley conversion. I’d it before you need to.
Machining the lower tree to work on the top is cheap and easy.
Kawi front pulley is nice for lower highway revs.
Lose weight wherever you can. Lots of places.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 19:21:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What to do to a new (to me) S40...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.