Send Topic Print
Soldering tip (Read 97 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Soldering tip
09/05/22 at 10:39:47

I've been doing this for decades but never knew it had a name. For the best splice, use the Western Union splice. You can use it for more than one connection, too.
To really dress it down smooth I hold one side with needle nose pliers and then Gently work the curved needle nose pliers, spinning them and working them down one end of the splice, swap ends and smooth the other end, hit it with some flux and solder it up.
When you can get the solder to flow and the whole connection has solder in it,but you can still see the shape of the wires,it's done.
Look up Western Union splice and hit images.
And Put the heat shrink on before you solder it..
You know you don't need to ask why I would mention that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Soldering tip
Reply #1 - 09/06/22 at 06:31:06

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 09/06/22 at 11:06:01

Yeah, that is the Tikkit.
I wish I had command of the language sufficient to explain that so the student would get it and I would not have to type so much. It's not exactly a thousand words, but the picture sure eliminates them.
Thanks for dragging that in here.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Needles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

AR
Reply #3 - 09/07/22 at 09:35:13

As a former Motorola "Field Engineer" (Despite the title, I never got to drive a train...) my go-to is soldering any connection that is suspect, unless it's the  flex/stretch wiring--- then you replace the wire. My soldered connections have never failed. Crimp or screw-on, not so much. The point of the Western Union splice is that electrical soldering is not structural--- it's not welding. The connection has to be physically strong before the molecular bonding of soldering. In some cases it doesn't really matter, but on a vehicle, it probably does.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/07/22 at 11:51:10

Thats how I usually solder, but lately I've been realizing that heat shrink is a pain in the ass, so I resort to electrical tape. Not as elegant, but most of the time its easier to deal with.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/07/22 at 14:21:03

I've heard of and even seen friction tape in action, but it's not something I see at the store. I think I want to try it. I'm pretty sure I can find a place to get some, I just don't know if it's worth the effort. I really don't like electrical tape. I use it, but eauxmugawd, it gets so nasty after some serious heat. The only time I get upset with heat shrink is when I see it on the bench after I soldered the connection. Dammitall!!
Finding the stuff got real hit and miss after Radio Shack died.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 09/14/22 at 22:47:33

Here’s my tip for cleaning the tip. After each connection I push the tip thru card board box twice before applying more solder to the tip , it removes the garbage from tip and leaves a professional look. Caution the box may smolder or catch fire , but the tip looks like chrome.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/15/22 at 15:14:46

I stab the flux. That cools the tip ,drops a few ohms, temp jumps,
The soldering stations that are a base with a spring to poke the iron in usually have a spot for a sponge. A wipe across a dampish sponge will do that, too.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 09/15/22 at 22:03:45

That’s all a pia , try it you’ll never go back.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/16/22 at 12:10:39

I hardly ever use a soldering iron,it's nearly always the big soldering gun. Those tips won't do that. They would just fold. I'm pretty fond of the little Bernzomatic torch. It'll do some soldering, and it has a catalytic element that is great for heat shrink, and it will, if you're patient, it will heat the soldering tip. I usually just hit it quick with the pointy little blue flame.

https://www.amazon.com/Bernz-Matic-ST2200T-Micro-Butane/dp/B000PS9TQI/ref=asc...

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 09/16/22 at 17:20:50

Thanks to all for the cool soldering tricks.  That Western Union Splice looks bullet proof.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/16/22 at 18:42:30

It's mechanically sound. That is step two of soldering. Right behind cleaning.
In the FWIW department, the Air Force put us through a week of that stuff. The test was building an astable multivibrator. A five dollar term for a circuit that runs a flashing light.
They told us it was the same class NASA got.
But they did not teach the Western Union splice. Weird, huh?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 09/17/22 at 12:03:32

A clean tip is needed for a professional solder joint. Solder then clean , solder then clean , every time ! My other , ok let’s say hobby is hot rodding electric guitars , every connection has to be perfect and stand the test of time. I only use a rosin core 60/40 or 40/60 (have CRS) made by Kester. Absolutely the best solder to use on anything electrical. So clean the tip every time you’ll see the difference.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 09/17/22 at 12:41:34

Let’s talk soldering guns , irons , stations. Absolutely the stations are the bomb adjustable wattage and everything you need. Guns usually wattage to high , some have a hi/lo trigger , better. What I use is a lower wattage iron that has some led lights on it to light up work area , Ol Skool , kinda. Having patients and a steady hand helps , I have neither. Way too much coffee. Temp only needs be a tiny tad hotter than what it takes to melt the solder.  Do  a bunch of test connections till temp is set right. One day I’ll get a fancy station , I think they cost too much , I’ll drop the clue to the wife in a couple months , maybe Santa can find me a real nice one. Then I can sell the rest guns & irons. Take your time , cant rush a stellar job and clean the tip !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/17/22 at 13:31:54

I've never needed to work on anything that sophisticated. Wiring, auto,bike, clunky stuff that gets volts and moves amps. Messing with a guitar pick up? Yeah, now you're in the neurosurgery end of soldering. What do they transmit? Milliamps? And if the connection is the least bit resistive, it sounds crummy? I've never had one of those DialAWattage nifty stations. You are right about those Weller low temperature welders. Too hot for most stuff, even on the first c!ick. If I'm working on something that has a PCB, I get the switchable 15-30 watt iron. Years pass between uses. So that means twisting on the tip,cleaning up the connection, snug it up get it hot,stab it in the flux, retin phhht,, Only when I Hafta..
I'd be happy to watch, but sounds like the work you do is pretty persnickety.
The little torch has been used outside, like on a pickup to trailer ,,that is the extent of my work on pickups.

Sounds like you should do the explaining.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 21:40:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Soldering tip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.