2019 - Blown Engine (Read 104 times)
phoness
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2019 - Blown Engine
06/26/22 at 15:19:42

Hello everyone !

I am in need of some advice. I have blown the engine to my 2019 S40, it had about 3,100 miles on it.

Sad

I apparently did not have enough oil in the engine, learning a very valuable lesson in the meantime.

I'd like some advice from other owners here on what to do. My options are as follows:

1. Have the engine rebuilt for about what the bike is worth if working which is about $3.5K

2. Source and swap the engine with another S40 engine for about $2K

3. Sell the bike, as is, via CL or something similar. I do not feel like taking the time to part out the bike, I'd like to sell it all together.

4. Trade in the bike for whatever a dealer can give me so that I can move on to another bike.

5. Whatever the fine crowd of people here think what might be my other options are.

This is my first motorcycle and I specifically purchased it to learn on. I am torn between to keep learning on this bike or to move on to something that will fit me more and that I can fully grow into. I am open to either I just wanted to see what other's opinions are on the natter.

I know that these machines are very good and solid when cared, unlike what I have done. But I am not certain what to do overall with this now unfortunately dead machine.

Any advice on this matter is welcome.

Thank you.
-P

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 2019 - Blown Engine
Reply #1 - 06/26/22 at 16:14:08

depending on your skill level you can rebuild it, but it's time consuming and costly.  but you know what you end up with.

easier opting is to pick up an engine, several are available on fleabay.

WWW   IP Logged
Surviving Philadelphia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/27/22 at 10:53:14

Out of curiosity do you know what contributed to the oil loss? I'm curious why it would be low on oil at such low mileage -- getting an itch to go look immediately at my oil levels. I have a 2013 with 5k.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #3 - 06/27/22 at 18:37:39

Where are you located? I'd love to re asses your damage

IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #4 - 06/30/22 at 21:36:37

Ultimately, only you can really assess your own abilities and commitment, so I’m hesitant to give you specific advice. As someone who experienced a catastrophic engine failure myself, although not due to my own actions, I nonetheless feel your pain at the loss of your machine.  Mine wasn’t a Savage/S40, and it was a long time ago, but what it taught me was that I wanted to get better at wrenching on my machines.  With that context, what I would do is look into getting a replacement engine, get it back on the road, and then rebuild the original engine over time. How much mechanical experience do you have? Do you have patience, are you able to follow procedures, are you highly organized?  The answers will determine whether you’re the right person to take on a job like this or not.  Not everyone is cut out for engine building, and that’s ok. You just need to be realistic about your skills, patient, and willing to recognize when you don’t know something, and not be afraid to ask for help.  This forum is exactly where you want to be if you are interested in learning, it’s exactly why I signed up.  Best of luck!

IP Logged
phoness
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/05/22 at 13:13:00

I am located near Los Angeles, CA.

What contributed to the oil loss was my dumb self not putting enough oil in. I did not check levels before every ride. I don't ride often but when I do it is for at least an hour at a time and usually on highways. Total bonehead move that has taught me a valuable lesson about oil levels.

And thank you all for the help. I am leaning to selling it as-is in my area. I will make sure to post here when I do so. I don't have much mechanical experience as you can tell. So I think is is the best option for me at the time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 17:15:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2019 - Blown Engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.