Send Topic Print
Seized starter (Read 70 times)
CannabisChemist850
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Seized starter
06/28/22 at 07:19:33

Well after several months of happy riding, it seems my starter has ceased to function. I want to pull it off and rebuild it, but wanted to check for any tips or advice from all of you brilliant souls.

Is removing the starter as simple as it looks? Remove the battery connections, disconnect the power, then 2 bolts, and it can be gently pulled out?

Then it is just a couple of screws holding it together, right?

This is my first motorcycle, and I ride it EVERY day. My life is not the same on 4 wheels! Any advice to get me back riding would be great. Planning to fix it on Saturday due to a busy work schedule this week.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Seized starter
Reply #1 - 06/28/22 at 07:34:00

before you do something you don't need to do... test it and convince us it needs to be done.

yep, it that simple to remove then get some jumper cables and get the starter to spin or not.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/28/22 at 11:05:47

You can test it right where it is.
Just jumper a genuine twelve volts to it and a good ground.
How many miles on the bike?
That is not a problem I'm used to hearing about.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #3 - 06/29/22 at 07:13:52

Also if your decompressor is not opening, then your starter may struggle to turn it over.

Cant help but think with a name like "CannabisChemist850" your troubleshooting last 2 seconds till you see a butterfly go by and your onto some long meaningless hypothetical rant about its wings or some crap like that.  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/29/22 at 09:42:33

You need to see if it is getting power when you hit the start button.
Everyone knows the Smack it! trick on automotive starters. Don't do that. The magnets in the starter will become multisectional. They become dimensionally unstable.

They crack.
The mileage is just way too low for me to start thinking that starter is the problem.
The solenoid, maybe, but a fuse or a bad connection is what I would suspect.
Check it out, get power to the starter. Heck, first thing is
Is the battery up to the job?
Then
Is the starter getting power to it?
Do you have a voltmeter?
Test light?

Does it get parked outside?
I'm pretty sure the start button provides a ground to the starter solenoid. If it's Not givin the circuit its ground,nothing is going to happen.
You should hear at least one click. I think some people who aren't half deaf can pick out the solenoid click and the decomp click. I can't.
I'm hoping you don't start taking it apart before you know it is a starter motor issue.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
CannabisChemist850
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/30/22 at 10:56:26

justin_o_guy2 you always have great advice, so lets get to it. Yes it is getting power. When I have the key turned on, I have power (lights, horn, neutral signal), hit the start switch and it gives a click from the solenoid under the seat and then nothing. Yes I have tried connecting another 12V to the starter and get nothing. I have a voltmeter, and the line is getting power all the way to the starter when I press the start button.

The battery was replaced in May with a battery that is more than equipped to handle the heat. And yes, I have checked it and it is holding ample charge.

The bike does get parked outside. I have checked all connections and relays going to the starter and everything is performing as it should (resistances and voltages listed in the Service manual match ranges observed).

IP Logged
CannabisChemist850
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/30/22 at 10:58:32

Oh, and the bike just turned over 16,400 miles. I had it out at Tail of the Dragon 2 weeks ago for some fantastic riding. Put 600 miles on it that week.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/30/22 at 11:26:22

Then check the ground. Put your meter on Ohms, read from the body of the starter to somewhere on the frame.
If it's got a hot battery, solenoid delivering your battery s best,and you can prove it has a good ground. Dude, it's time to go into the starter,
But before you go for it,you should bench test it with a known good battery, like, pop the hood on the car,jumper cables, type test.
16K miles? Meh, it's not inconceivable that it has worn something..
Sounds like you know enough to do on target with your troubleshooting.
None of us know what the newer people have done and what their capabilities are. I'm not trying to dis you, just trying to understand what you are fighting and help you get what you need.
Sorry if I came off like a smartass. Oh, I AM a smartass,but not when it's time to help someone win.
I'm following this thread daily. Watching to see what happens. Good luck!

IP Logged
CannabisChemist850
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/05/22 at 13:34:31

Well my new starter finally made it. After a super easy removal and install the bike is back to starting right up with no issue.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/05/22 at 16:50:15

Great! Now autopsy the other one

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 13:35:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seized starter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.