Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1st ride out of town (Read 101 times)
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

1st ride out of town
06/12/22 at 09:31:14

I bought the S40 for commuting in town, and it is very good at that.
I rarely exceed 50 mph. its light (compared to a V-twin) and the clutch is smooth.  
To determine its highway manners, I took a little trip westward to historic San Felipe.  San Felipe played a big role in the founding of the Republic of Texas.
You can take I-10 or enjoy curvy FM Road 1458. Plenty of bikes on the FM road on the weekend. I rode both.
-I was prepared to be underwhelmed on the highway, but was pleasantly surprised. The S40 held 70mph, regardless of grade and winds, and the vibration wasn't  bad. A windshield would help, but that can wait until (much) cooler weather.

San_Felipe_vic_map.jpg
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: 1st ride out of town
Reply #1 - 06/12/22 at 16:28:51

Glad you got ya a LS650.  

Yea it will keep-up nicely with all the "even remotely" legal stuff here in TN.  

Some of us have fitted the 25 tooth front pulley off the Kawasaki 500 or 454 belt drive bike to our LS650's.   The Suzuki pulley is only 23 tooth.   It lowers the rpm on the interstate nicely and there is still more than enough power.   It's like putting another gear on it.  Smiley

Not that it needs anything else to be a great bike !  Wink

S40LeftSide.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/12/22 at 18:54:57

I'm concerned about 1st gear if I use the Kawi front pulley.
I have to use a lot of clutch slippage in first gear when commuting in town, behind pokey cars. I'm afraid the Kawi pulley would make the 1st gear situation worse, and most of my riding is done in town.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #3 - 06/12/22 at 19:40:00

When behind pokey cars, delay your start by a couple car lengths, but not enough to get honked at.  You will get through the clutch engagement range with less slippage, and not hit the pokey bloke!

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/12/22 at 20:00:49

Stop way back and aim off to the side, don't get mashed between them

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/14/22 at 13:20:04

Wheelbender6, that looks interesting. Are you located in Houston? Do you catch 1458 at Brookshire? I am not familiar with San Felipe de Austin. Will have to check it out some weekend. Thanks for posting.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/14/22 at 17:14:31

You can take 1-10 or US 90 west to Brookshire and catch the FM road there.
I live near Hwy 6 and I-10.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/15/22 at 08:03:12

You are doing AlRight! Years ago, some people Enjoyed Their first Ride out of town, on a rail,( That is strapped to a pole that a coupla big guys are carrying) sporting the latest in fashion, tar and feathers.
That part of Texas is okay. It's kinda hilly,innit? Have you tried heading toward Fredericksburg?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 06/15/22 at 16:46:34

Thanks wheelbender6.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/17/22 at 15:44:26

I normally haul my S40 in my truck if I my ride starts over 100 miles away, so I probably will not try to ride to Fredericksburg.

I tried the delayed start method to avoid riding the clutch and it worked well without angering the cagers behind me.

Seems you can add some top speed either by adding a higher revving cam or installing the Kawi pulley. Doing both sounds counterintuitive. I'm still on the fence between the two.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/17/22 at 17:10:46

Anyone with the tools can swap the pulley. The cam ? I wouldn't do it without a maintenance manual.
You might be a genuine mechanic. IDK.. But there is nothing wrong with improving the performance of it And swapping the pulley.
You have a good set of tools? Pawn shops can save a bunch of money.

IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/18/22 at 08:40:24

Is the Kawasaki pulley a direct bolt-on or does it require some  machining?
I have done basic mech stuff, like head gaskets and scheduled maintenance.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/18/22 at 09:02:16

It needs some whittling, drop Dave a line.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #13 - 06/20/22 at 14:31:30

I have one of Dave's pulleys on my bike. It does help with the high speed riding but understand you will give up a bit of acceleration. I am not particularly mechanically inclined but I was able to install the pulley on my own. I am not overly keen on the idea of changing the cam on my own though I have considered it. I believe doing the cam mod will get back the lost acceleration for you. If you are really considering these mods though, touch base with either Dave, Lancer or Verslagen.

IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/22/22 at 18:51:24

I am heavily committed for the rest of this week. I will look into the pulley next week.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 15:07:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › 1st ride out of town

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.