Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Bike - Can't get it to consistently run (Read 81 times)
e man
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

First Bike - Can't get it to consistently run
05/27/22 at 11:11:56

Hi All,

I bought my 2014 savage a few months ago. Things were going great until I brought it onto the highway for the first time and it died (almost as soon as I got up to 65/70mph). I can now turn it on but can't get it last long at all. I replace the petcock with a new one from ebay ($90, claimed it was official suzuki). I replaced the hoses and clamps on the petcock that attach to air and gas. It now only runs on prime which I have been trying to ride to run some carb cleaner through but has been worse and worse and dies sooner. This is my first bike so I don't know too much but have been willing to learn with this forums help as well as youtube. Is this a situation where I need to convert to the yamaha petcock? Just hoping for a few more suggestions before I take it to the shop. I am a little intimated to take the carb apart.

Thanks for all suggestions

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: First Bike - Can't get it to consistently run
Reply #1 - 05/27/22 at 11:32:52

Look at a number of recent posts about cutting out, stalling, flooding. Almost every one of these problems can be traced back to the stock piece-of-junk vacuum-operated fuel petcock. They just don't last very long and can fail two ways: 1) the diaphram leaks when it should be shut off, or 2) engine vacuum can't hold the diaphram open.

My problem was the latter. Under high fuel use (high speed or driving against headwinds) my bike would slowly run out of gas, as the float bowl couldn't get refilled fast enough.

In your case, it sounds like either a petcock issue (even a new one), a vacuum leak in the fuel plumbing or the plumbing not installed correct.

The best option to solve this is to buy a genuine Yamaha Raptor 660 manual petcock. Don't buy an Ebay Chinese knockoff. Easy to install and foolproof, providing you remember to turn the petcock off when parking and back on before starting.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1642735417

Edit: if you go with the Raptor, be sure to block off the now-unused vacuum port on the carb.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/27/22 at 11:41:58

A Suzuki petcock bought on Ebay? The rubber is of unknown age.
Put a Raptor petcock on it. Don't buy a cheap knockoff. Walk in the dealership and spend the money.
You obviously have a fuel issue.
Heck,put your petcock on Prime, see how it works.
You can study it some.

Get it going down the road, get it up to speed, prepare yourself, be ready to flip the petcock to off,
When it bucks and dies,open the bowl drain and see how much fuel is in the bowl.

Betting it is not enough.

You have fuel lines of sufficient inside diameter and no inline filter.

But try it on Prime,, that is easy.
The petcock uses vacuum to hold the rubber diaphragm open. High rpm manifold vacuum drops. Hard rubber doesn't allow sufficient fuel at high rpm.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 05/27/22 at 12:03:01

One other thought.  The new petcock may have had a protective plastic cover over the strainer that juts up into the tank.  If you didn't take that off, it could sure make things worse instead of better.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/27/22 at 13:07:26

e man wrote on 05/27/22 at 11:11:56:
Hi All,

I bought my 2014 savage a few months ago. Things were going great until I brought it onto the highway for the first time and it died (almost as soon as I got up to 65/70mph). I can now turn it on but can't get it last long at all. I replace the petcock with a new one from ebay ($90, claimed it was official suzuki). I replaced the hoses and clamps on the petcock that attach to air and gas. It now only runs on prime which I have been trying to ride to run some carb cleaner through but has been worse and worse and dies sooner. This is my first bike so I don't know too much but have been willing to learn with this forums help as well as youtube. Is this a situation where I need to convert to the yamaha petcock? Just hoping for a few more suggestions before I take it to the shop. I am a little intimated to take the carb apart.

Thanks for all suggestions

I'm going to assume your bike is all stock.
dying at 65/70 is probably petcock/vacuum lines.
running at half to full throttle reduces the vacuum so if your diaphragm is stiff or vacuum lines are leaking, the petcock will shutoff.

If you've modified your intake it will reduce vacuum and you'll get this sooner.

If you've got a fuel filter, remove it.  While it does eliminate some potential problems, it causes more.  The petcock and carb both have screens that catch most problems.

WWW   IP Logged
Koldslaw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albany, NY
Reply #5 - 06/09/22 at 12:18:25

It's the petcock man, I had the exact same issue. I got the raptor petcock and now it's smooth sailing.

2005 LS650 - 12,999 Miles - new rider -
  IP Logged
e man
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/10/22 at 09:38:29

Well I made the switch to the raptor petcock and its been running for 2 weeks now. Wish I did this sooner as it was half the price of a new stock petcock. Thanks everyone for the help!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:29:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Bike - Can't get it to consistently run

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.