Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jardine Exhaust Info (Read 106 times)
savagethumper
Ex Member

Jardine Exhaust Info
04/17/04 at 09:41:47

I'm sort of a newbie to the bike maintaining thing.  My question is about the Jardine slip-on I have on the bike.  I bought the bike with the slip-on already on it, and it tends to backfire between 1st and second regularly.  I have communicated with other Savage owners, and they say that all Savages eventually start backfiring constantly.  My header pipe is fine, but the Jardine muffler  blues pretty heavy.  Do I need to fiddle with the carbs?  The reason I haven't is because the bike runs great (except for the little backfiring thing).  Oh, and does anyone else's bike backfire when they kill it?  I turn the idle screw down a little just before I kill it, and it usually helps prevent it. Undecided

IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Re: Jardine Exhaust Info
Reply #1 - 04/20/04 at 12:03:42

I have found that mine backfires between 1st and 2nd if I don't roll the trottle all the way off.  All Savages backfire - not eventually start to.  
The Jardine WILL turn blue quicker than a stock muffler - supposedly, thinner wall - nothing can be done although the mechanic I brought my bike to for one thing mentioned the Jardine problem and said to adjust the jet in the carb.  But my Savage must be like yours - it's running great - so why mess with it.  And yes, mine does the same backfire (sometimes loud, most times a little whuff) when I turn it off.  I don't mess with the idle screw at all as all that ever did was mess up the bike running great.

WWW   IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/20/04 at 23:34:33

I PUT SOME SEALENT BETWEEN THE HEADER AND THE MUFFLER AND LET IT DRY OVERNIGHT AND IT STOPS THE BACKFIRE. ALSO CHECK HEADER GASKET.
                          AL DOWN UNDER Cheesy

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/21/04 at 20:12:18

Thank you for all the replies.  I didn't know that Jardine mufflers were so thin.  I wish I just had a stock muffler, that wasn't so burnt looking.

IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/12/04 at 08:49:16

I took the Jardine off today, and found a pc of metal rattling around about half way back.  I pulled the baffle out, and removed the loose pc, and wrapped it in some hitemp fiber we use at work, and put it all back together.  I sounds like it has a straight pipe now.  I guess that loose pc was a divider of sorts that broke loose.  Oh well, I guess the cagers can hear me now.  I'll pack extra earplugs.

IP Logged
Bout Done
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/09/22 at 10:11:52

When my 2019 S40 back fires occasionally when slowing to a stop I kinda like it. Seems in character with the look of the bike but I spent a lot of years around reciprocating aircraft engines and always thought a backfire occasionally was cool.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/10/22 at 11:33:13

I had one. It was obnoxious. I was Really thinking about getting rid of it when it shat its guts in the road and made up my mind for me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 14:40:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jardine Exhaust Info

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.