Pages: 1 2 3 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Cafe Build (Read 2337 times)
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Cafe Build
05/14/19 at 18:57:10

Finally got some sunshine and time to dig into my project today. If time allows I'll get the fiberglass pan done tomorrow and then I can work on upholstery while I wait for the rest of the parts to come in.

List of changes:
Clubman bars
motone 3button switches
M.unit
Motoscope mini Speedo/tacho w/combi holder
New signals all around
New head and tail lights
Subframe and hoop weld
340mm rear shocks (lower brackets relocated)
8cell lithium battery
17/52 chain conversion
Supertrapp muffler
Ryca pod filter
K&N breather filter
Lsk fuel gauge sending unit

Photos here: https://m.imgur.com/a/1FBcv9o

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Re: Cafe Build
Reply #1 - 05/15/19 at 00:20:57

Nice!  Looks like you are having a bunch of fun. Thanks for the pictures, coming along very nicely.

Brown, white and silver color scheme looks pretty good too.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #2 - 05/15/19 at 07:23:38

The build is looking good, but your welding scares me.  Everything I see is not acceptable for road use.  You want good penetration and should see some discoloring/bluing roughly 1/4" to each side of your weld.  Keep practicing on something other than your bike and then reweld or take it to a professional to go over it.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #3 - 05/15/19 at 07:57:32

Ohiomoto- all the welds are essentially tacks at this point. I'll be going over everything again!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 05/15/19 at 09:08:54

Cool.  This guy is a really good teacher and has great videos: http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/Mig-welding-tips.html

You want that sound. If you are struggling, get it mocked up and let a professional tidy everything up for you when you get done.   If you get good weld penetration, but the look isn't what you want, don't be ashamed of the flap wheel.   You just want to make sure it's safe.  Smiley

Are you using wire feed?  MIG with gas?  Looks like 120v?  

I borrowed a 120v MIG on my build and it was a little tough to dial in.  I was able to get strong welds, but I wished for a little more heat, but it just wouldn't weld well at the highest settings. I had to weld a little slower to get the penetration and ended up with a tad more filler than I would have liked.  Slowing the wire feed down just burned off the tip of the wire.  Just part of the territory when using a cheap welder, but you should be able to get decent results.   

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #5 - 05/15/19 at 09:41:28

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out! I'm using a flux core so I'm not sure I'll get the pretty blueing ln the welds, or pretty welds. I put a good amount of force on the hoop after everything had rough welds on and it held up just fine, certainly not road stress though. The plan is to just keep grinding and filling until there are no pinholes.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 05/15/19 at 10:01:28

Filling in the pin holes is like adding glue.  Not really what you want.  Maybe okay for the subframe, merely okay, at best.  But you want to make sure you get a good weld on those shock mounts.

You welds look like they might be too cold and you're just "dripping" material in there.  Or you wire feed could be too fast and it's killing the burn.  I can't tell without hearing or seeing what's going on, but your settings are off.

Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI7GOVrB33c  

Listen to the sound and look at how much filler gets laid into the joint.  More importantly, you should see the weld melted into the metal at the edges.  Get some scrap similar to your hoop and test with a higher temperature.  See if you can get that sizzle while getting penetration and building up the joint with some filler.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 05/15/19 at 10:15:15

And watch this one.  He takes really good videos so you can see/learn how to work the puddle.   Working the puddle is the key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XD2gpCKK-E

PS, Sorry if I'm crapping on your build thread.  We can ask Dave to clean it up for you, but please check out those videos.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 05/15/19 at 10:23:34

All that work on shock mounts and chain conversion and your left shock is way out in left field. A little more work and you can move the left shock in about 3/4”. You will thank me when you are done it looks so much better.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #9 - 05/15/19 at 10:38:03

Ohiomoto- I hope they stay, this is great stuff! All part of the process!

Ruttly- the mount goes directly to the swingarm and is pushed out by the upper mount. I'm guessing the fix is flip the lower bolt around and shave the upper mount to match?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 05/15/19 at 12:42:45

I made new lower mount and carefully removed the support for upper cut and rewelded it then welded support back in place. Fabled a special jig to keep upper straight while welding.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #11 - 05/15/19 at 13:52:12

No Ruttly!! No!!!  Bad Ruttly!

I was about to offer up shorter shocks and a swingarm just to keep his welding to a minimum.  Then you come along giving him more welding projects!!

Grin

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #12 - 05/15/19 at 14:38:06

Ah I see, clevis in place of the oem mount and then shorten the top to match. At this point I'll stick to fixing my welds and calling it good. If the 340 shocks end up not working out maybe I'll revisit them and the mounts when I get around to putting together some rearset.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 05/15/19 at 14:55:29

Sorry Ohiomoto , I just cringe when I see a chain conversion and a shock way out in left field. With the belt it’s ok. It looks so good and I was surprised how strong it turned out to be , hit a jump bout 3’ high bout 30 mph and it didn’t break.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #14 - 05/15/19 at 17:13:19

Beautiful work! Smiley

Keep us up to date.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 14
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 11:26:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.