Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aftermarket exhaust header pipe (Read 79 times)
wiguzziman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Aftermarket exhaust header pipe
01/19/22 at 13:57:10

Hey everyone,
Anyone out there know if any aftermarket company makes a header pipe for the 650 Savage?  I did a search on this forum and all that came up were different mufflers.  I'm looking for a header pipe that's a bit longer than the stock one.  If I can't find one anywhere I guess I'll have to do a bit of fabricating and use high temp paint on the original one (chrome's bad anyway).
Thanks for any and all help/suggestions.  Carry on!  wiguzziman

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Re: Aftermarket exhaust header pipe
Reply #1 - 01/19/22 at 14:52:56

Mac Performance used to make one, but the header tube is the same length as the stock one.  It's just a larger diameter.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 01/19/22 at 15:25:13

You can make one using pre-bent pipe, cut & weld.  Or get a piece of pipe and take to a good muffler shop and have them bend it to match the shape of the stock header.
Pick the pipe OD of your choice for either method.  I used 1.75”OD/1.65”ID for mine.
I cut the flange head off of a stock header and welded it to the new header pipe for mounting to the head.
It is very helpful to have your bike with if bending pipe to check-recheck fit as the bends are being made.  It takes a bit of back and forth before it’s done and fits.  

« Last Edit: 01/20/22 at 05:57:02 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
wiguzziman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/20/22 at 07:51:21

Thanks for the info guys.  I guess I'll just use the stock header pipe and fabricate what else I need and paint the entire system with some Hi-Temp. paint.  It seems odd that as long as the Savage/S40 was in Suzuki's line up that there wouldn't be more aftermarket stuff available for the bike.  ??

Carry on!  wiguzziman

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/20/22 at 12:05:33

It seems odd that as long as the Savage/S40 was in Suzuki's line up that there wouldn't be more aftermarket stuff available for the bike.  ??
Carry on!  wiguzziman [/quote]

I feel your pain.
I guess I'm spoiled. In the past I have owned 2 KLR650's and a DR650. There were entire on-line stores selling parts and accessories for these bikes. I would think a bike like the ls650, that has been in production for over 40 years, would get the same attention.  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 01/20/22 at 12:50:24

It has been Suzuki’s low price leader for the cruiser line, and VERY FEW built.  There have to be a lot of a model of bike before a parts supplier is going to invest in production.  The LS650 just was not produced in numbers to make it profitable for them.

We have to adapt and/or create parts to improve durability, efficiency, safety, and comfort in this bike we love.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #6 - 01/21/22 at 22:54:35

Ever wonder why Suzuki Marketing wasn't smart enough to suggest appearance mods to hype the sales? Tempter 400 upgrade to 650 perhaps? Nah, too easy!
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 09:23:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Aftermarket exhaust header pipe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.