ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: BSA GoldStar ?
Reply #15 - 12/05/21 at 07:59:23

MMRanch wrote on 12/04/21 at 07:25:55:
The "Liquid-Cooled" turns me off .  Embarrassed

I believe liquid cooling is a necessary evil of modern engines and current emission requirements.

Air cooled VW's disappeared - then Porsche.....they just couldn't provide the kind of performance and longevity that was required as the emission requirements got stricter and they both had to go to water cooling - and now it is happening with motorcycles.

I can remember it was common to have to put a new water pump in a a vehicle now and then...... but I have not put one in a car in a very long time - even when they have lots of year and miles on them.  My 2006 Pontiac Vibe has 190,000 miles and is still on the original water pump and serpentine belt!  I was going to replace the belt last spring before the trip to Texas - but when I inspected it the belt was in good shape and didn't need to be replaced.  (I do replace the coolant every 4-5 years).

I have owned 5 water cooled bikes, and I have never had a problem with any of them (Honda ST1100 & NT700, Ninja 250, BMW F800 and R1200RT).  High compression and low emission engines just seem to require water cooling.

Having a radiator on a motorcycle doesn't bother me much......although it would be nice if it wasn't too ugly!

« Last Edit: 12/06/21 at 03:07:12 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #16 - 12/06/21 at 01:18:30

I like the teal blue Goldstar. IMO it has the most vintage look. This bike has some sexy shapes & lines. How soon , how soon ? They also talked about power upgrades will be available , a remapping tune I would guess. They have been very tight lipped till now about any models ,I’ve only seen one other rendition of a 335cc/350cc of a yellow dual purpose like the old 441.
A brilliant debut using the Goldstar as their flagship. Should be a huge seller , I’m kinda excited !

« Last Edit: 12/06/21 at 09:40:55 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 12/06/21 at 03:15:49

Ruttly wrote on 12/06/21 at 01:18:30:
,I’ve only seen one other rendition of a 335cc/350cc of a yellow dual purpose like the old 441.

If BSA wants to sell a lot of motorcycles - they will have to make a 350cc bike.  Royal Enfield sold 20 times more of the 350cc bike than they did the 500cc Bullet, and that is why they chose to make the 350cc Meteor.  When they designed a new emission compliant bike they only chose to make the more popular 350cc bike and they and no longer make a 500cc bike.  In the parts of the world where they sell most of the Royal Enfield - a 500cc bike is too big!    

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #18 - 12/07/21 at 11:23:50

I’m sure a 350cc and some sort of twin are waiting in the wings or still in development. They aren’t showing all their cards yet. Ooo and maybe a triple , a Retro Rocket !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #19 - 12/07/21 at 18:09:33

Woe is me! why are all of these great new bikes coming now when I'm gettin' too old to enjoy them? This new BSA looks just like my old one and that was a great bike. The CR on this bike is 11:1 ?
Cheers!  Cool
ps: that porky header is actually a cover?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #20 - 12/08/21 at 11:25:29

I wanna see the new Norton step up with a retro MANX. I’m sorry Zipi didn’t intend to upset you.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 12/09/21 at 02:51:35

I have heard from several of my local riding buddies that they think the radiator is too bulky looking.

I would not be surprised if BSA redesigns that before production.....or that an aftermarket "slimline" radiator will be made before long.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #22 - 12/21/21 at 09:40:31

And , Yamaha announced that the SR400 will be back for 2022. Mostly unchanged since 1978 , a 44 year run and still runnin !  Still lookin at the Goldstar , can’t wait to plant my butt on the seat and see how it fits , hope it’s as comfy as an old pair of slippers.

« Last Edit: 12/21/21 at 12:30:40 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 12/22/21 at 12:32:03

This is a little off topic but several years ago a member posted pictures of a Savage that was modified to look similar to the original BSA Goldstar.  I searched for it but didn't have any luck.  I vaguely recall that the guy said it was his father's project.  It looked good.  If anyone can find that post I would like to take a closer look at that project.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 12/22/21 at 14:48:01

Engineer:

I believe the bike you are referring to was the Retro Standard in this build.  Unfortunately all the photos have gone away.  I have a photo somewhere in my computer....I will try to find it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1369527081

I think I found a photo of it......post #28 in this thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1438534942/26

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #25 - 12/22/21 at 16:45:09

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 12/26/21 at 13:47:18

Thanks for finding that 8 year old thread!  The Savage is such a "clean" design that it doesn't take much to give it a different look.  If that were my project I would paint the cylinder black to make it look more like the old British cast iron cylinders.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #27 - 12/26/21 at 13:57:04

To me it looks like the added frame loop supporting the rear fender is where the shock used to go and they made a new rear shock mount , higher and further back , bet ride is improved over stock. Better swingarm to frame geometry.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 12/27/21 at 14:24:11

Saw a Cycle World article earlier with a few numbers.

652cc single
4 valve dohc
11.5:1 CR
45 bhp, 41 pf torque
470 lbs.
Brembo brakes
5 spd., chain

That radiator is an eyesore.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #29 - 12/27/21 at 15:26:31

Triumph did a better job of hiding the radiator on the current Thruxton/Bonneville. Maybe BSA will tie it up a bit?
Hopefully someone I know buys one and asks me to help drop 50 pounds off of it.
Usual stuff:
Lighter exhaust, ditch the Cat. Tubeless conversion. Lithium battery. Make as many parts out of aluminum that are now steel. And so on.
I’ve been helping a bud sort out his 650 Enfield. Already faster, lighter, better handling than it was.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 03:32:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › BSA GoldStar ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.