Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Clutch disengaged noise (Read 175 times)
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clutch disengaged noise
11/07/21 at 16:36:58

So I warmed up the bike today and took it just around the block, and besides the horrendous belt noise, there was an odd noise coming from the leftside of the bike when the clutch is disengaged. Any ideas? It still shifts fine and I didnt feel any loss of power.

Also I tried some spray belt dressing earlier this year to help with the noise, but now the belt seems tacky, and theres some black gunk on the teeth of the rear pully. Best bet to just take a small metal brush and clean the whole belt and pully?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Clutch disengaged noise
Reply #1 - 11/07/21 at 21:48:59

left side could be the pulley.
check that the nut is tight.
rock the bike forwards and backwards to see if there's any movement between the pulley and spindle.

If you're hearing the noise on the clutch side, you should check the cam chain.

WWW   IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #2 - 11/11/21 at 20:04:39

[There is no need to have horrendous belt noise
The belt needs to be in alignment and tensioned correctly
None of this can happen if the pulleys are loose and wobbling
Drag Bike  Mike has a thread how the rear pulley can be fixed by replacing the stock bearing with a double row one.
The front pulley needs to be tight on its spline
The belt needs to be clean and I have rubbed some beeswax on the edges where it rubs on the pulley flanges
My Belt has been   totally silent now for some thousands of KMS
It used  to be annoying right from the beginning

Hiko   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 11/12/21 at 05:25:27

I would investigate this promptly because if the countershaft pulley is loose you could damage the countershaft itself, which is a PIA to get to (case has to be split).

This would make you UnluckyLuna.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/12/21 at 05:35:05

What size are the front and rear pullys wrench wise?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 11/12/21 at 06:50:19

Wrench? You mean socket....because they need to be torqued to spec. And in order to check for the correct torque, you'll have loosen the nuts by a quarter turn so you can overcome the mechanical bond.

The driven pulley gets torqued to 36-51 ft-lbs
The drive pulley gets torqued to 73-94 ft lbs.

On the drive pulley, before you check for the correct torque, inspect the washer for signs of movement. Also, the washer should be bent over the nut on one side. You'll need to flatten that if you are going to retorque the nut.

And, as mentioned above, the second noise you described could be the belt itself slipping over the drive pulley. Check the belt for the correct tension AND check the teeth for signs of slippage. If the belt has the correct tension and there are signs of slippage, then check the teeth on the drive pulley to see if they are rounded. Those teeth need to be nice and square.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 11/12/21 at 08:46:33

LL, please clarify "there was an odd noise coming from the leftside of the bike when the clutch is disengaged".

Is this noise occurring while your motorcycle is moving?  For instance you are riding at approximately 25 mph, you pull in the clutch, coast, noise occurs.

Or does the noise occur when you are at a standstill?  For instance, stopped at traffic light, engine running, bike in 1st gear, clutch lever pulled in, noise occurs.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/12/21 at 14:03:25

Yes, you are correct, I am in motion and if I pull the clutch in and coast the noise occurs.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 11/12/21 at 15:46:51

Could still be the drive pulley rattling without a load on it. Inspect it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/13/21 at 03:33:28

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 11/12/21 at 15:46:51:
Could still be the drive pulley rattling without a load on it. Inspect it.

I agree......sounds like a loose drive pulley to me.

Don't ignore it and keep riding - if you wear out the transmission shaft splines it is a labor intensive repair.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 11/13/21 at 07:36:56

Front sprocket....  32mm socket

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/14/21 at 05:26:23

ty!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 11/14/21 at 15:58:43

LL, keep in mind that you change the dynamics of the load on the belt and pulleys when you disengage the clutch while rolling.  Same goes for throttling up, steady state, and deceleration.  Those changes to the loading on the belt and pulleys will change the noise.

I agree, your noise could be a loose drive pulley (front pulley), or it could be related to changes in the forces acting on the belt & pulleys.  I agree that you absolutely must check your output shaft nut.  You should also check your rear hub assembly and driven pulley for excess play.

You shouldn't need any sort of goo to quiet the belt drive.  Get the pulley wobble squared away and it runs quiet.  Clean all that gooey stuff off the belt and pulleys.  Correct any wobble.

Good luck, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/16/21 at 17:56:58

Ok, So I got the sockets I need to check and adjust the front and rear pullies. But I have a couple questions (sorry, Im trying to learn all this as a newbie and without in-person help)

1. How do I unbend the washer on the front pully?(Do I need too?)  I can get the socket on without messing with it.  

2. When I attempt to loosen the front pulley nut, how to do I keep it from just spinning?

3. to check that the front pulley is secure, do I just loosen it, then retorque it to specs? Is there something else I need to be checking?

4. When adjusting the belt tension on the back pulley, which way do I turn the adjuster screws to loosen/tighten the belt? I loosen the main axle nut, loosen the locknuts, then if I clockwise the screw (tighten) is it  tightening the belt or loosening it?

5. I dont have the belt tensioner tool that came with the bike, and am getting a generic one sent (10lb) what should the deviation be?
  5A. Along those lines, I keep reading about the 90* test, but that seems kinda arbitrary, should it easily go 90* should it be a hard 90*

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 11/16/21 at 18:10:20

LuckyLuna wrote on 11/16/21 at 17:56:58:
1. How do I unbend the washer on the front pully?(Do I need too?)  I can get the socket on without messing with it.

just get something inbetween and pry it down, I use an old wood chisel to make a gap at the top and then switch to a screwdriver.
Quote:
2. When I attempt to loosen the front pulley nut, how to do I keep it from just spinning?

I use a ratchet strap tie down from the frame around the outside of the tire back to the frame.
I found this works best.
Quote:
3. to check that the front pulley is secure, do I just loosen it, then retorque it to specs? Is there something else I need to be checking?

yes, no.
Quote:
4. When adjusting the belt tension on the back pulley, which way do I turn the adjuster screws to loosen/tighten the belt? I loosen the main axle nut, loosen the locknuts, then if I clockwise the screw (tighten) is it  tightening the belt or loosening it?

try it you'll learn quickly
Quote:
5. I dont have the belt tensioner tool that came with the bike, and am getting a generic one sent (10lb) what should the deviation be?
  5A. Along those lines, I keep reading about the 90* test, but that seems kinda arbitrary, should it easily go 90* should it be a hard 90*

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1335401723

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 23:47:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch disengaged noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.