Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a HotRod - Part 9 - Displacement (Read 244 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Evolution of a HotRod - Part 9 - Displacement
Reply #15 - 09/30/21 at 19:35:00

At 535 grams, the flat-top is 35 grams heavier than the stock piston.

Weight_535g_FlatTop.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 09/30/21 at 19:36:23

The ring sets are different.  The pop-top uses Wiseco ring set 3819XH.  The oil control ring has this cool wire guide in the expander.  I think it’s used to prevent overlapping the butts of the expander.

Rings_Oil_Ring_Expander2_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 09/30/21 at 19:36:58

The flat-top uses Wiseco ring set 3819XS.  No wire guide in the oil ring expander.

Oil_Ring_Expander_FT.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 09/30/21 at 19:39:28

I used the same cylinder head on both engines (97mm pop-top and 97mm flat-top).  It’s my stage III head with the larger 34mm intake valves and the 1.79” exhaust port.  All the details are in this post.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1595224521/0

The factory DR650 cam doesn’t need the high-lift valve springs, so I replaced the SuperTech springs with stock valve springs.  The KibbleWhite spring retainers and cotters fit OK.  The lower pressure stock springs will be gentler on the cam lobes.  The old DR650 and the LS650 use the same valve springs.  They work OK and have served me well in the past.  Best keep it under 7500 rpm with the stock springs.

The special Cagiva valve adjusters I installed in Part 7 would not fit the Stage III head.  The intake valve stems are a bit longer and there was not enough available adjustment with the Cagiva adjusters.  I was satisfied with the performance, it just would’t fit this particular head.  These adjusters are a good upgrade if you are using stock LS650 valves or DR650 valves.

Husky_Adj_RH_Int_18536_ODO.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 09/30/21 at 19:40:46

The bigger bore requires a special head gasket.  The stock gasket hangs over the edge of the 97mm cylinder.  I don’t recommend trying to use a stock gasket.  Copper Gaskets Unlimited (CGU) in Phoenix, AZ can provide the correct head gasket for the 97mm bore, and they also have a variety of thicknesses.  Lani at CGU gets these gaskets out quick.  Please don’t try and use a stock head gasket with these 97mm pistons (especially the flat-top).

The copper head gasket is not nearly as forgiving as the stock multi-layer steel gasket.  The head and deck surfaces must be perfectly flat.  On the 97mm pop-top build I wasted a lot of time resolving oil leaks.  Take a look at the Big Bore Engine Project Part 6.  It provides a lot of details on my gasket fiasco.  On this flat-top installation, I had zero problems with oil leaks.

For the flat top piston, deck height is critical.  I suggest you try and adjust the cylinder height using the base gasket.  Shoot for “zero”  deck, meaning that the piston is exactly flush with the top of the cylinder at TDC.  Adjust the thickness of the cylinder base gasket to achieve “zero” deck, and then use a .042” thick cylinder head gasket.  That will set your quench clearance right at .042”.  Mockup your engine, take some measurements, and then order the appropriate thickness gaskets.  Just shoot Lani an eMail at coppergasketsunlimited@yahoo.com.

Copper_Gaskets_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 09/30/21 at 19:42:06

Once the correct thickness gaskets have been determined, it’s time to check valve-to-piston clearance.  Don’t even think about skipping this step.  Install the piston and cylinder.  No need to install rings or wrist pin clips for this check, but the correct thickness cylinder base gasket must be used.

To keep the piston-top centralized, I apply tape around the top of the piston until it will just fit into the cylinder with light force.  You should be able to push the piston into the cylinder, but the piston should not move on its own.  Three layers of blue masking tape were just right.

Tape_3_Layers.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 09/30/21 at 19:42:42

Once the cylinder is in place with the correct thickness base gasket (for “zero” deck), apply modeling clay on the valve reliefs in the piston.

Clay_Setup_1.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 09/30/21 at 19:44:36

Apply a liberal coat of grease to the valves to act as a release agent.  Then install the head along with the cam and head cover.  Make sure that the cam is timed perfectly.  Adjust all the valves to .004”.  Then slowly rotate the engine through at least two complete revolutions.  I do four or more.  Needless to say, if it gets hard to turn something isn’t right.  Investigate.  Don’t just force it and break something.

Remove the head to see if any valves are getting too close to the piston.  This is why you should ALWAYS do clay checks.  The intake valves were touching the piston.  Certain death.  The intake valve reliefs needed to be enlarged.  The exhaust valves had plenty of room.

Int_LS_Hits_on_Radius2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 09/30/21 at 19:45:40

Granted, my intakes are 1mm larger than stock (34mm vs 33mm), but that’s only 0.5mm (.020”) on the radius.  Even with the stock valves, there would not have been enough clearance.

I addressed the clearance problem by increasing the radii on the intake valve reliefs.   I’ll go through the process I used, but keep in mind there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

You can use a 17/64” transfer punch through the valve guides to mark the top of the piston.

Xfer_Punch_Piston_Side.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 09/30/21 at 19:46:33

Place the piston at TDC.  Then install the cylinder head gasket and cylinder head.  Insert the transfer punch through a valve guide and lightly tap the punch to mark the piston.  Repeat for the other valve.

Xfer_Punch_in_Action.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 09/30/21 at 19:47:46

Now you have punch marks exactly on the centerline of each valve.

Xfer_Punch_Marks.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 09/30/21 at 19:48:21

You will need a fly cutter adjusted to cut the appropriate radius (.709” for 33mm valves, .728” for 34mm valves).  You also want a generous radius on the tool point, like the one shown here.  I didn’t use a radiused tool point on my original tight quench engine and I believe the tight corner in the relief contributed to the failure I experienced.  The radiused tool point is important.

Fly_Cutter_Tool_Bit_Form.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 09/30/21 at 19:49:19

Set up the piston in a drill press or mill.  Adjust the angle of the piston top to the appropriate angle (117° for the intake valves, or 63°depending on how you look at it).

Angle_Setup_Gage_117_Degrees.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 09/30/21 at 19:50:03

Using a center finder (pointer), adjust the X & Y axis until the punch mark is lined up on the centerline of the mill/drill head.  Lock the table in this position.  The piston is now aligned at the correct angle and centerline.

Find_Center_LS_Vlv.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 09/30/21 at 19:50:46

Raise the mill/drill head and install the flycutter.  Then slowly and carefully plunge into the piston top with the flycutter until you reach the depth you want.  In this case, there was more than enough depth, the problem was on the radius, so I just plunged in until I reached the depth of the existing relief.

Fly_Cutter_Makes_Chips_LS.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 08:53:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evolution of a HotRod - Part 9 - Displacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.