Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 62
Send Topic Print
1987 Savage Street Tracker build (Read 7075 times)
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Re: 1986 Savage Street Tracker build
Reply #120 - 10/29/21 at 20:07:56

Quote:
The books are under the monitor, don't make take them out.

Hahaha!  I love it!  Don't make me pull over and come back there!!!

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #121 - 10/29/21 at 20:14:27

So I have gone about as far as I can until I get the rear tank mounting hardware.  That will determine where the front of the seat will sit, and I will know how much room I will have between the fiberglass and the bike frame.  I won't start tacking the seat frame together until I have all of the front mount pieces finished.  It really doesn't look like 8' of round bar when you stand back.  It took two lengths at 4' to this point.  Another length for some bracing under the seat area should do it.  I have more flat bar for the area where it will tie in with the rear tank mounting hardware, and to hang the tail light.

20211029_1938231.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #122 - 10/30/21 at 03:14:05

TheSneeze wrote on 10/29/21 at 14:10:46:
I got my tail light in the mail today.  It wasn't clear how big or small it was in the ad, so I am pleasantly surprised that it fits the size of the tail so well.

That tail/brake/turn signal light looks great - but you may need to add a supplemental "brake light" that can actually be seen when you ride in daylight.....especially if the sun is shining.  So many of the aftermarket LED tail and turn signal lights are just not bright enough to be seen in direct sunlight......they will not catch the attention of a distracted driver who is 200 feet behind you when you apply your brakes.  I have ridden behind several motorcycles with combination tail light/turn signal LED's - and unless you are looking directly at the light you can't see it work in sunlight.

The tail light that RYCA supplied for the seat I used is very similar - in my garage it seems to work fine but when you get it outside in traffic it is a different story.  In order to keep me safer I added an emergency LED strobe for a brake light.  These can be ordered in red and the pattern can be set for "steady on" so they don't flash.  I mounted mine where the bottom of the seat meets the downward frame tubes......you can't see it when you walk around the bike but when a driver is sitting in a car/truck and 30 feet back it is in their line of sight.  It is incredibly bright and likely blinding after dark - so I added a layer of red electrical tape to tone it down a bit........now I realize that adding a resistor would work as well.  Here is a link for the type of LED I used for my brake light.
https://ultrabrightlightz.com/products/feniex-t3-surface-mount-grille-light    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #123 - 10/30/21 at 08:14:30

Thanks, Dave.  Did you need to change the flasher relay to get the LED's to blink as well?  I used LED turn signals on my baja bug, and bought a "no load" flasher relay that claimed to solve the issue.  I had 25 LED's on each circuit (12 in each indicator and one in the dash) and they still wouldn't flash.  I solved that issue by putting in a side indicator under the front fender that was an incandescent bulb which created enough load to get the supposed "no load" relay to flash.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #124 - 10/30/21 at 10:49:30

Yes, I needed to install a solid state flasher unit to get the blinkers to blink when I switched to LED units!

I had purchased small turn signal units like the one below.  They used a small filament bulb turned sideways in the housing and there was no reflector to help send the light out the lens - so they weren't nearly as bright as the stock units.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speedmetal-short-stalk-turn-signals?gclid...

In converted them to LED units by installing a pair of the LED emitters into each housing.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-light-modules/1-round-wired-led-...

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #125 - 10/30/21 at 12:56:38

I am starting the mods to the swing arm to fit the larger rear wheel, and cut off the brackets that are in the way of the chain conversion.  Since this bike did not have the chain guard when I got it, I want to make sure I am not cutting off anything I will regret.  I know the bracket at the swingarm pivot is for the chain guard, but the other circled in red I don't know what it's for.  It looks like it will be in the way of the chain, and will need to come off.  But what is it there for?  Also, is there any issue with cutting both sides of the bracket at the pivot, or should I just cut off the top side that would interfere?  TIA...

20211030_1247441.jpg

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #126 - 10/30/21 at 14:30:22

I determined that must be the chain guard mount.  The picture doesn't show  it very well.  Either way it would interfere with the chain, so off it came.  Here is the patch panel tacked in place.  Time to fit check the tire to make sure it won't touch with the axle fully forward in the slots.

20211030_1425242.jpg

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #127 - 10/30/21 at 14:39:19

Every blind pig finds a truffle eventually.  Tire clears great!

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #128 - 10/30/21 at 16:19:17

It took some doing as the bolts were rusted in place, but I was able to disassemble the stock handlebar clamps from the risers.  I am looking at reusing the clamps instead of buying new ones.  So I put them on the new bars and held them up to the top triple clamp to see how they would fit.  It may require a counter bore underneath to get a flat seat for a nut, and they are closer to the steering stem than before.  Using this location would not only clear the new adjustable fork caps, but leave room up front to mount a gage.  Considering moving the speedo up front too.  Has this handlebar clamp position been used before with the lower as a top clamp?  Any feedback on possible issues bringing the bars closer to the stem?

20211030_1608211.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #129 - 10/31/21 at 03:18:22

I rant into the raised fork tube/handlebar interference issue.....and ultimately decided to send my fork tubes to Gordy's Goodworks to have him shorten the tubes 2" and re-thread them.

I hope to get them back next week.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #130 - 10/31/21 at 13:56:55

I think this clamp position will avoid any clearance issues with the fork tubes/caps.  I'm just not sure if it will create any issues being that close to the steering stem.  It should be okay?  Haven't drilled any holes yet.

Taking my time, welding a little here, then there, alternating in a criss cross pattern, I was able to get 100% weld and ground flush with no warping!  The swingarm is still straight.  Whew!

20211031_1350021.jpg

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #131 - 10/31/21 at 13:57:51

Bottom side

20211031_1350121.jpg

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #132 - 10/31/21 at 14:05:30

Another mod checked off the list!

20211031_1402341.jpg

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #133 - 10/31/21 at 15:11:28

I have given up on CL Moto Tech and trying to purchase RFY shocks through him.  I have tried sending multiple messages, and can't seem to get any response.  I have started a refund request as his webstore still processes a sales transaction.  So, I am back looking for rear shocks.  I am trying all the usual sites and searches, so if anyone has any other recommendations (other than Ohlins - $$$$), I am all ears.  Thanks!

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #134 - 10/31/21 at 15:59:23

My request for a refund resulted in an email back from Chris.  Turns out he is still processing my order and should be shipping them this coming week.  I sure wish people in business would practice better communication.  That was one thing in my career that I made sure to do - respond to customer calls and/or communication.  Even if it wasn't good news I always replied to customers.  So all is good on the shock front...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 62
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 01:10:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1987 Savage Street Tracker build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!