Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 
Send Topic Print
1987 Savage Street Tracker build (Read 7215 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 1987 Savage Street Tracker build
Reply #930 - 05/22/24 at 04:04:11

DragBikeMike wrote on 05/20/24 at 03:43:40:
I didn't realize that you couldn't touch your structure after a fire.  I guess they don't want you messing with anything until they figure out how it started.

When I worked for Highland Heights - I was their Engineer/Building Inspector/Zoning Administrator.  We had a house fire that caused a significant amount of damage to a very nice, old 3 story brick home and the 2 car garage (and cars in the garage) that was located very near the porch.

The investigation resulted in them determining the fire was caused by their daughter who tried to shrink a T-shirt in the microwave.  When it didn't work she threw the hot shirt into the plastic trash can on the wood porch - and the shirt somehow started a fire.

The owners were not able to touch anything until the fire investigators and insurance companies released the home to them.  It took several months for the investigation to be completed, and several more months for the insurance company to settle on the structure damage.  The settlement for the "contents" of the house took nearly 18 months!

After about 2 years they were finally able to clean up the burned garage and cars and haul everything away.  The owners were not committed to fixing up this old house and sold it - the new owner cleaned up the outside damage to the house and boarded up the missing windows - the new owner is not in a hurry to do the renovation and 4 years later the house is still vacant.  The new owner does keep the grass mowed and the property is not unsightly.

I also had a house fire cleanup that went on for several years.  It was a big house and when the owner was in a serious car accident he had a long recovery and turned the big house into a rental.  After the fire the Fire Department Investigators tried to contact the owner - he took off and hid with relatives in a very rural area.  (A few months earlier the occupants had overheard him tell someone on his cellphone that he would be better off if the place were to burn down).  The Insurance Company would not settle the case until a cause for the fire was determined.  It took several years for the owner to finally come out of hiding and the cause of the fire was determined to be an AC unit on the back of the house.  I am not sure why the owner panicked and went into hiding - but it made enforcement for the issue very difficult for me as I had to "post" all correspondence to him on the property.  I had to erect a sign board on the property and post all notices on the board.  We were just about to hire a contractor to clean up the property and place a lien on the property for the cost - when the owner came out of hiding and agreed to clean it up.  After the property was cleaned up a neighbor bought the land to increase the size of their property.

Sorry for the long story......but settlements with insurance companies can go on for years!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Re: 1987 Savage Street Tracker build
Reply #931 - 06/01/24 at 21:34:15

I finally got to the bike lift.  So far we have loaded 3800 lbs. of building debris.  Not tools or equipment, just burned and damaged structure.

20240601_1508221.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 17:31:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1987 Savage Street Tracker build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!