Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a Hot Rod Part 3 - Exhaust System (Read 253 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Evolution of a Hot Rod Part 3 - Exhaust System
Reply #30 - 06/07/21 at 00:19:48

Again, acceleration tests showed a significant improvement.

Second Gear 4K to 7K: 3.59 seconds            Improvement:       0.11 seconds

Third Gear 4K to 6.5K: 6.76 seconds            Improvement:       0.80 seconds

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5K:       6.15 seconds            Improvement:       0.76 seconds

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5.5K: 9.61 seconds      Improvement:       2.03 seconds

It still maxes out at 5800 rpm in fifth gear, but it gets there a lot faster.  The low restriction muffler is helping a lot.  The 5th gear pass simulation is excellent.  The sound is sweet.

Fuel mileage went up significantly.  I averaged 65 mpg over several tanks of gas.  Since the jetting is richer, I have to assume that the improved fuel economy is the result of reduced pumping loss (i.e less back pressure).

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 06/07/21 at 00:20:25

Now seemed like a logical time to groom the induction system a bit.  Up to this point, the financial investment has been as low as reasonably achievable.  What if we sprung a few bucks for a good low restriction air filter element?  It’s easy to install but costs a lot.  Is a K&N filter element worth the price?  Stock on top, K&N SU-6595 on bottom.

KN_vs_Stock_Element_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 06/07/21 at 00:21:00

It’s a simple matter to pop in the K&N.  It fits perfect.  One screw and your good to go.

KN_Filter_Install_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #33 - 06/07/21 at 00:22:55

A few laps around the block felt OK.  Time for test & tune.

Best performance was achieved with a 155 main jet and the compound slide needle still at +.08.

Acceleration tests showed a measurable improvement.  Are these gains worth the entry fee of $50 bucks?  That’s up to you.  As more modifications are added, the stock paper element may not be up to the job.

Second Gear 4K to 7K: 3.55 seconds            Improvement:       0.04 seconds

Third Gear 4K to 6.5K: 6.53 seconds            Improvement:       0.23 seconds

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5K:       5.72 seconds            Improvement:       0.43 seconds

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5.5K: 9.19 seconds      Improvement:       0.42 seconds

It still maxes out at 5800 rpm in fifth gear, but it gets there a lot faster.  It’s the first setup to exceed 7000 rpm in 3rd gear, it pulled 7100 rpm.  The low restriction muffler is working well with the low restriction air filter.  The 5th gear pull feels great.  Carburetion is clean.  No afterfire.  Considering that its 100% bolt on and completely reversible, I think this is a great setup for the average Savage aficionado.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #34 - 06/07/21 at 00:23:39

Since this part of the project is focused on the exhaust system, we might as well look at the header pipe.

The stock header pipe is double wall.  The inside diameter is small for a 40 cubic inch engine.  On the left is a 1.3” ID stock header pipe compared to a 1.79” ID Mac header pipe on the right.

Comparing_pipe_inlets_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 06/07/21 at 00:24:14

This shows the outlet side of the two header pipes.

Comparing_pipe_outlets.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 06/07/21 at 00:25:08

IMO, the stock header is too small while the Mac header is too big.  The perfect size should be about 1.62” ID.  How much difference do these header pipes make?  Let’s find out.  We know that the current setup with a stock header pipe runs really good.  If we install the Mac header with the LCGP muffler we can compare the two and see which one runs better.

Off with the stock header and on with the Mac.  The switcheroo took about 30 minutes.  No more special kinked adapter for this installation.  The muffler just slips right onto that big pipe.

Mac_Hdr_with_LCGP.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #37 - 06/07/21 at 00:27:31

A few laps around the block felt OK.  Seat-o-da-pants there was no difference.  No audible difference.  Time for test & tune.

Best performance was achieved with a 155 main jet and the compound slide needle still at +.08.

Acceleration tests showed a measurable improvement in 2nd and 3rd gear, and a measurable slowdown in 5th.  We’re talkin almost no change.  Certainly nothing the average bear can feel.

Second Gear 4K to 7K: 3.45 seconds            Change: 0.10 seconds faster

Third Gear 4K to 6.5K: 6.38 seconds            Change: 0.15 seconds faster

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5K:       5.90 seconds            Change: 0.18 seconds slower

Fifth Gear 3.5K to 5.5K: 9.33 seconds      Change: 0.14 seconds       slower

It maxed out at 6000 rpm in fifth gear, a 200-rpm increase.  It pulled 7200 rpm in 3rd gear, a 100-rpm increase.  Based on the acceleration times, it’s obvious that the larger header improves the high rpm portion of the power band, while the smaller header favors the low rpm portion.  I suspect that the larger header will work much better as things get amped up.  Once I start throwing in cams, larger carbs, and some porting, the larger header will start to pull away from the stock header.  We shall see.

For this setup, the stock header seems to work better in the range of operation where most of us ride.  Only the most discerning individuals, those with a calibrated butt dyno, will be able to tell the difference.  So why shell out hard-earned cash for the big header if you don’t plan on taking your bike to the next level.  The stock header works fine.  Me, I gotta have the big one.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #38 - 06/07/21 at 00:30:15

This completes the exhaust system portion of the project.  I may revisit the exhaust system as the project moves forward.  Let’s take a look at the results so far.

We have improved the overall performance of the motorcycle.  Carburetion is better.  Throttle response has been improved.  Fuel economy is up by 8 mpg.  Afterfire and backfiring have been eliminated.  Audible noise has increased a modest amount, but the quality of the exhaust note is more pleasing to the ear.  All-out 3rd gear acceleration has improved by 3.95 seconds, and 5th gear passing acceleration has improved by 3.75 seconds (13.24 seconds if you run it all the way up to 5500 rpm).  It really is like a different motorcycle.

I think that’s pretty good for such a small investment in time and money.  Most of us could accomplish these modifications for under $200 bucks.

Next, I want to move on to the carburetor.  The stock carburetor’s fuel delivery is grossly restricted by the stock needle.  Even with the compound taper, it’s tough to maintain a safe air/fuel ratio.  As I mentioned in Part 2, simple measurements and calculations show that the stock needle limits the maximum main jet to about a #155.  Jets larger than #155 don’t have much effect on the air/fuel ratio at higher rpm.  If I want to amp up the air flow through the engine, I will need a better carburetor, or at least figure out a better way to set up the stock carb. It’s tough when there isn’t a full selection of readily available parts for tuning.

At this point, I have done 105 WOT acceleration pulls to dial in the different combinations.  The old girl is holdin up good.  No leaks.  No ugly noises.  Not using any oil.  Zero oil accumulating in the airbox.  It’s a solid motor.

I hope some of you find this project informative and can use the data I collect to help make decisions on your own project.  If you have suggestions or comments on my test methods, post a reply so we can discuss.   As mentioned earlier, if you have a particular component or modification that you would like to see included, let me know and we can collaborate.

Best regards, Mike          

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 18:07:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evolution of a Hot Rod Part 3 - Exhaust System

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.