New Piston! (Read 133 times)
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

New Piston!
05/10/21 at 09:46:17

Just got my new flat top 97mm piston from Lance!!
WooHoo!

Savage_Piston.jpg

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: New Piston!
Reply #1 - 05/10/21 at 10:49:36

Go make some combustion with that!

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 05/10/21 at 13:07:26

Hey Armen, I just got one of these too.  Let's swap notes on the install.  When are you planning to throw the flat-top in your engine?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 05/10/21 at 15:05:46

Now don't go drilling any holes in that Armen!  

Actually, I remember drilling "oiling" holes in the skirts in some Wiseco pistons for my old RM125, so...   Smiley

« Last Edit: 05/10/21 at 17:28:35 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/10/21 at 17:00:43

I want one!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 05/11/21 at 04:04:30

Dave wrote on 05/10/21 at 17:00:43:
I want one!

Well okie dokie

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 05/13/21 at 04:23:35

Finishing up the big wake up call on my street bike after being off the road for the lockdown and move. Savage is second or third on the 'Big Project' list.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/18/21 at 11:24:22

I got myk new 97MM from Lancer in the mail yesterday and it looks great.....now what to do?

I currently have a WISECO 95mm installed with a fancy Silicone Carbide impregnated cylinder done by Boretech.  The engine runs great, there are no oil leaks, no funny noises - so far it has gone 12,000 miles with the normal oil changes and a bit of tinkering:  I added a mid weight flywheel and then later a super light flywheel, I modified the chain tensioner so it no longer has a ratchet and is manually adjusted by adding spacers, I changed the Stage 1 cam to a Stage 3.  With the double Kawasaki pulley modification it turns 3,500 rpm at 60mph and 4,000 at 70mph.....it can run all day at freeway speeds and not get tired (but I do).

On the majority of my local rides I rarely use more than 1/3rd throttle for assaulting the county roads - the speeds are below 60mph on the straights and the fun comes from the frequent curves.

I kind of hate to take apart an engine that runs so well - but the new piston design is likey to make things even better!

Over the course of a rainy weekend I could hide in the garage and get the 97mm piston swap and the DragBikeMike inspired DR650 clutch mods completed.  So.......I guess I better make sure I have the needed gaskets in stock!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 05/19/21 at 22:17:31

I think you're gonna like that new slug.  On the 94mm, I had pretty good luck with a .021" thick copper base gasket and a .028" thick stock head gasket.   As I recall, quench came in at .038".

What thickness head gasket are you planning on?  I assume you will be using copper.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/20/21 at 02:56:47

DragBikeMike:

That is a bit of an unknown for me at this point - after your leaky oil experience with copper I was tempted to try a stock head gasket.  I suppose I could take my cylinder head and cylinder to a machine shop an have them take a tiny cut just to be sure the mating surfaces are flat.

I have a bit of time to ruminate about this.....the bike won't likely be coming apart until after we go to Suches, Georgia next week.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 05/20/21 at 15:57:59

I wouldn't use the stock head gasket, it overhangs the bore.  The piston will get too close to the gasket.  There will only be about .010" clearance between the gasket and the top of the piston.

My experience was my own doing.  As long as you can't insert a .001" feeler strip between the head and cylinder, you should be OK.  The factory spec for flatness is fine for the MLS gasket because it utilizes sealing beads.  The copper gasket is less forgiving.  Just place the head on the cylinder without a gasket and survey all around the periphery of the joint with a .001" strip gage.  Pay close attention to the right-rear corner.  If the strip gage bites in the joint you should be fine.  If it goes into the joint you might have trouble.

With the flat-top piston, you're kinda stuck with the copper gaskets unless you can find a MLS set up for the 97mm bore.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 19:34:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Piston!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.