Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Preparing for a long-distance Savage trip (Read 33 times)
fnfrck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Preparing for a long-distance Savage trip
02/27/21 at 01:17:27

Hi all!

So, I'm fairly new to motorbikes. I got my license in late 2019 and bought an old Yamaha SR400. Then I got hit by taxi while stopped at a red light and ended up selling the bike, not having the money nor the know-how needed to fix the bike. Last year I bought a 90's Savage. This summer I'm hoping to be able to take it for a longer trip. But I don't know the first thing about repairing motorcycles. Now, I'm not going on a trip around the world, and will probably be able to get assistance if needed. But I would like to be able to take care of the bike myself to a degree. So I have some questions for y'all:
- What are the most common issues with the Savage, that I should be aware of or able to fix before such a trip? Could you recommend some videos on how to fix them?
- What tools are necessary to bring along with me? (Not really Savage-specific, just in general - again, I'm very new to motorcycles...)
- What are some other recommended preparations?

And any other tips you think might be helpful are of course welcomed  Smiley

Cheers

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Preparing for a long-distance Savage trip
Reply #1 - 02/27/21 at 03:09:22

How long have you owned this bike, how many miles are on it, what maintenance has been done?

The vacuum operated petcock is a known problem.
The head plug will begin leaking someday.
The cam chain tensioner is is over zealous and self adjusts too often and causes the chain to stretch.
Tires are only good for about 5-8 years...and about 8,000 miles or so.  You most likely will need tires before you leave.  Depending on the length of your trip you can get by with affordable tires.....or you may need to get Michelin Commander tires that last a very long time.

All of these issues have been discussed at length on this forum, you can do a search and/or we can link you to some of the previous discussions.

This will get you started:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366651397

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 15:34:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Preparing for a long-distance Savage trip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.