Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test (Read 1031 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test
Reply #15 - 02/10/21 at 21:57:02

Install a used head gasket and the cylinder head.  Torque the head nuts.  Turn the engine through several rotations, then take the head off and measure the thickness of the lead wire.  In my case, the thickness of the lead wire and feeler.  I got .038”.  Pretty darned close to the target.  Good enough.

Lead_Check_42.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 02/10/21 at 21:58:01

Now that we know what the quench clearance is, we can calculate the deck height.  The compressed thickness of the head gasket is .028” so the deck must be .010” for a total of .038”.

All we need now is the volume of the piston dish and valve reliefs.  Install an old top ring on the piston and position the piston down the bore a known amount.  Then seal around the top of the piston with grease.   A quick fill with the burette and a little math and you have the no bull volume.  It’s 6.6 cc.

Piston_Dish_Volume2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 02/10/21 at 21:58:40

Armed with a bunch of data, we can go to the RB Racing website and use their calculator to see what the actual static compression ratio will be.  The magic number is 10.42:1.  That’s pretty high.  Hope the local refinery can keep me out of the detonation zone.

Wiseco_Flat-Top_CR_Calcs.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 02/10/21 at 21:59:33

After a few passes with a rigid hone to break the glaze and ensure there was no ridge, it was time to set ring gaps.  I’m generous with ring gaps ever since I cooked one of these high compression engines.  It’s air cooled, so it’s not such a bad idea to add a little extra gap.  I used Wiseco’s spec for “Blown Race Only” application (top ring .0065”per inch of bore, 2nd ring .0070” per inch of bore).  That works out to .024” for the top ring and .026” for the second ring.  The top ring only had .018” gap so I had to file it.  The 2nd ring already had .028” gap right out of the box, so I left it as-is.

Some abrasive paper over a machinist’s scale works good.  Hold the scale and abrasive paper in a machinist’s vice or something similar.  The top surface on the vice helps to keep the ring square as you dress the butt.  Work only one side and always move the ring away from you so you don’t chip the special coating on the ring.

Ring_Filing2_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 02/10/21 at 22:00:12

Make sure the ring is square in the bore when you check the gap.  The edges of the butt should be parallel.

Butt_Gap_Top_024.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 02/10/21 at 22:00:51

Wiseco specifies running clearance of .0025” for this piston.  The value is on the box that the piston comes in.  Unfortunately, my cylinder has been honed several times.  I had to live with a loose .003”.  I generally like to run forged pistons a bit on the loose side, but for this test I wanted to try and follow the specs provided.  I’m sure it won’t hurt performance, but it might make a bit more mechanical noise.

Piston_Clearance_003_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 02/10/21 at 22:01:38

I mentioned earlier that the piston does not have an orientation arrow.  You must measure the valve reliefs to determine which side is for the intake valves and which side is for the exhaust valves.  The intake relief is 63mm wide.

Relief_Int_63mm_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 02/10/21 at 22:02:13

And the exhaust relief is 59 mm wide.

Relief_Exhaust_59mm_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 02/10/21 at 22:03:44

This piston runs very close to the head, about .150” closer than the stock piston.  It is mandatory that valve-to-piston clearance be checked.  Web specifies a minimum clearance of .080” for the exhaust valves and .050” for the intakes.  Other experts are more conservative, .100” for the exhaust and .080” for intake.

I am running the Web 340b cam in this engine.  It has more TDC lift than any of the other readily available cams (.143” Int/.092” Exh).  I found that the combination is unforgiving.  To meet the minimum clearance specs the cam timing had to be exact.  The slightest bit of advance or retard resulted in the clearance dropping below minimum.  Advancing resulted in the intake valve getting too close, retarding resulted in the exhaust valve getting too close.  It had to be spot on to meet the minimum clearance spec.  No playing around with cam timing on this combination.  I ended up with .06” on the intake and .08” on the exhaust.

You can check the valve to piston clearance with modeling clay.  Install the piston and cylinder with the correct thickness base gasket.  Degrease the top of the piston and apply modeling clay in way of each valve.

Clay_Application2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 02/10/21 at 22:04:23

Then apply a generous layer of grease on the valves and quench area on the head.  The grease keeps the clay from sticking to the valves and cylinder head.

Grease_Application.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 02/10/21 at 22:06:44

Now install the forward cam chain guide and cylinder head with a used head gasket.  Properly torque all the head nuts.  Install the cam, cam sprocket, cam chain, rear chain guide and tensioner.  Set the cam timing.  Make sure the factory marks line up perfectly.   Rotate the engine through several turns and make sure the factory timing marks align perfectly each time you stop at top dead center.

Once you are confident that the cam timing is just right, install the head cover with rocker arms.  Adjust all four valves to .004”.  Now carefully rotate the engine in the normal direction of rotation (clockwise viewed from the right side).  If you feel anything that might be contact between valve and piston, STOP.  Figure out what’s wrong before you continue to rotate the engine.  If it rotates normally with no indication of contact, continue to rotate at least four revolutions.  Then remove the cylinder head to inspect the clay impressions.

Use a small knife to cut through the center of the clay impressions.  Dip the blade in water to keep the clay from sticking.  Use light pressure so as not to mar the top of the piston.

Here is what the intake impression looked like after cutting through the clay.  It gives a clear picture of how close the valve comes to the piston.

Clay_Int_Cam_Straight_up2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 02/10/21 at 22:07:25

This is the exhaust impression.

Clay_Exh_Straight_up2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 02/10/21 at 22:08:06

A small drill bit with a short section of plastic spray tube from an aerosol product works good for measuring the thickness of the clay.

Valve_to_Piston_Tool2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 02/10/21 at 22:08:50

Check the distance between the face of the valve and the piston.  It should be at least .05” for the intake valves and .08” for the exhaust.

Valve_to_Piston_Vertical_Intake_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 02/10/21 at 22:09:28

You also want to check the radial clearance between the valve OD and the piston relief.  I don’t have a spec but .05” seems reasonable to me.

Valve_to_Piston_Radial_Intake_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 07:39:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.