Send Topic Print
Engine does not start (Read 303 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Engine does not start
Reply #30 - 12/11/20 at 09:33:14

A kit usually doesn't give you what you need, and too much of what you don't need. Lancer has a kit that is designed by someone that knows the bike well. If you want a kit - Lancer is your guy.

Selecting jets does take into account your elevation. We also need to know if you have an OEM exhaust or aftermarket? OEM airfilter?

The stock jetting is typically very lean. Even on a stock bike the engine will run better with a 52.5 pilot, 150 main and a white spacer mod (I prefer replacing the white needle spacer with 2 #4 washers).

If you have an aftermarket exhaust you might consider upping the main to a 152.5.

I think the biggest improvement comes from the white spacer mod, since we typically ride 80% of the time on the needle. But if you have a clogged jet, getting those replaced is most important.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #31 - 12/11/20 at 17:46:47

Slowlane wrote on 12/11/20 at 08:20:12:
2009 S40 Calif model 939miles Florida Panhandle.    
I would appreciate some advice  on which carburetor kit to order.  I live practically sea level.

______

Keep everything stock.  Don't buy an aftermarket kit!  It should run reasonably well to perfectly fine with stock jetting.  At this point you have what sounds like a fuel delivery issue, NOT a tuning issue.

It sounds like it's starving for fuel.  While some find that these bikes run a little lean, a properly functioning bike will not suffer from fuel starvation.  

I think you are probably on the right track thinking you may still have some restrictions in the carb.  But before you go too far, you should make sure your slide is functioning properly.

The slide is actuated by a vacuum created when the throttle plate is opened.  If the slide doesn't respond to the vacuum,  you won't get enough fuel to go with the increased air being pulled into the engine.  This leads to a lean condition.

There are 3 main factors in play here:
1)  There are air jets in the top of the carb.  One is a main jet and one is a pilot.  More than a few people have accidentally exchanged these with the fuel jets from the bottom of the carb.
2)  The diaphragm needs to be in good condition (not leaking) and properly seated during installation.  An leakages are a problem.
3)  The slide needs to move freely in the carb body.  There is a black coating on the slide that can wear off and stick to the carb body.  With the low milage, I doubt yours is worn, but you need to make sure it is clean and moves freely.

If in doubt, try running the bike without the airbox and confirm the slide is responding to the vacuum created by opening the throttle.   If it sticks you need to determine if it stopped opening because the slide is sticking or because the lack of fuel didn't increase the engine RPM enough to create more vacuum.  It becomes a chicken and the egg deal because you don't know where your issue lies, but you are trying to eliminate potential issues at this point.

IP Logged
Slowlane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 12/12/20 at 13:21:21

ohiomoto
Thank you for your input.
You are thinking that it is starving for fuel.  While I was in dissassemble & reassemble mode I made serious observation of the slide.  The slide and diaphram were just like day one brand new.  The two screws in the bottom of the slide that holds the pin/needle were so tight that I left them alone and sprayed a lot of carb cleaner in there and air blew it out several times.  I have been away for a day for Christmas and will be back with more updates.
I'm really wondering whether to drill out the air mixture plug or not.  Once again Thanks ohiomoto.  Illbeeebaaack

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 06:22:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine does not start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.