Taming the Mac Muffler (Read 200 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Taming the Mac Muffler
Reply #30 - 11/28/20 at 11:10:44

Then peel the tape away.  Note the four holes that I previously drilled & tapped for the 10-32 screws that hold the new end cap in place.  There’s not a lot of thread engagement, but as long as you don’t get carried away with the screwdriver it should be sufficient to hold things together.  If you strip it, then sheet metal screws will be in order.

Outer_Fill_22.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 11/28/20 at 11:11:24

Use a mallet to drive the core home, then install the end cap and you’re ready to rock-n-roll.  I put a dab of Permatex Optimum Black on each screw to keep them from backing off.

Mission_Accomplished2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 11/28/20 at 11:11:59

It doesn’t look too bad.  I like the megaphone style and you can’t even tell it’s been cut open.

Completed_Muffler_Installed_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #33 - 11/28/20 at 11:12:32

It looks fine from the back too.

Completed_Rear_View_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #34 - 11/28/20 at 11:15:11

How does it work?  Not as well as I would like.  It definitely is quieter, but not enough for my taste.  It reduced the sound level about 3 dB.  Here’s the new numbers for idle/3000 rpm/4000 rpm.

70/80/83 dB

The sound quality is much nicer than the chrome Mac, and a bit nicer sound quality than the as-delivered Black Mac.  Almost no high-frequency rat-tat-tat, just a low frequency thud-thud-thud.  Lot’s of cackle-crackle on deceleration, but no Ka-Booms.  At idle, it is acceptably quiet.  At small throttle openings, it’s a bit loud but acceptable.  You can easily cruise around the neighborhood without making any enemies.  But open the throttle and all bets are off.  It’s very loud when you start getting on the throttle.  You will most certainly attract attention.  I could live with it, but prefer not to.  I want to be able to wick it up without alerting the local constable.

As far as performance goes, it’s killer-good.  It pulls 3rd gear 4K to 7K in 6.72 seconds.  In comparison, the Dyna muffler does it in 7.83 seconds and the chrome Mac does it in 7.21.  This is a fast muffler.  Too bad it’s so loud.

I hope you find this report interesting and useful.  It’s not too hard to install packing material in one of these mufflers, and the packing brings the noise level down a notch or two.  The same mods will work on the chrome Mac.  

As always, I welcome your questions and comments.

Stay positive, test negative,

Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #35 - 11/29/20 at 06:05:35

Hey hey!
Thanks again for a well thought out and well documented project!
i have the chrome MAC, so cutting it up will mean dealing with finishing the cut edges. Not a huge deal, but unlikely it'll look as nice as it was.
I remember the Kerker baffles. They had a Competition baffle that you could put your fist through. Then they had one they called the 'DBAE' for Decibles And Emissions. It had a skinny little hole thru it. IIRC, the DBAE worked pretty well at low revs, but the Competition baffle was the ticket for high revs.
All that makes me wonder if it'll work if I reduce the ID a bit on the MAC a bit. I'd still want to do some packing to knock the sharp edges off the sound.
Lots of times a bike comes in with a painful sounding exhaust. Sharp edged sounds. Pulling the baffle, cleaning it off, and covering with fiberglass packing always made the sound more tolerable.
Once I'm settled in and can start serious puttering, dealing with the exhaust is on the list.
Thanks again!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #36 - 12/16/20 at 15:36:36

Very cool step by step breakdown, DragBikeMike! I've really appreciated everything you do to share your knowledge!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 16:27:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Taming the Mac Muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.