Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Blown Savage in a speedway racer? Crazy talk!! (Read 499 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Blown Savage in a speedway racer? Crazy talk!!
05/08/18 at 20:59:56

So are you building a board track  to run it on ? Or do you think it's ok to run a blown motor on the open road ,with no rear suspension ? I guess I'm a "form follows function " kind of guy with a bike that I can ride a couple of thousand miles , rather than a couple of blocks . If your going to build a motor with that much power, you need a suspension that keeps the rubber on the road. A hard tail won't cut it.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #1 - 05/09/18 at 09:19:44

I'll be watching because I love the look of the 34 Crocker.  Don't really give two craps about the blower other than it's cool if that's what you want, but you could dump a 3.5 hp Briggs in that thing and I would think it's cool. I probably wouldn't want to ride it to work every day, but still cool.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #2 - 05/09/18 at 09:25:30

And the only reason I say I wouldn't ride to work every day is that I ride 30 miles each way.  Come to think of it, I couldn't stand my Savage (before I modified it) after 30 miles either.  Maybe I should move a little closer.  haha

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #3 - 05/09/18 at 11:36:02

First the disclaimers.
 1. Not my area of training
 2. My supercharger's on a twin. So, can't speak from experience.
 3. Some of what I "know" was learned on-line. And well................

As a positive displacement pump, the AMR300 delivers a constant supply of boost that can't be stored between intake cycles in the absence of a plenum, and would thus require a pressure relief valve or result in cavitation within the pump. Depending on who's research you believe, a single requires plenum capacity somewhere between 3 and 5 times the engine displacement to avoid the inevitable pulse effect.

Don't we need a plenum/accumulator here for this application? That said, don't let my questioning deter you from forging ahead. I love what you're going for. Can't wait to see the finished bike.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 05/09/18 at 12:50:57

Looks like a mighty cool project Track Racer.  You also have the benefit of all that hard work and trial & error that Savage Bob put into his boosted beast.  I love you guys.  Your game for anything.  I'm looking forward to watching your masterpiece take shape.  The preliminary work on the engine and blower looks mighty fine.

That timing plug is not centered on the alternator bolt.  How did you machine the cover such that the bearing fit is concentric & perpendicular to the crankshaft?  Is the cover thick enough in that area to accommodate the bearing or did you have to weld build-up the interior. By any chance, do you have any photos of the custom stub shaft/bolt assembly, machined cover, sealed bearing, etc.?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 05/09/18 at 17:31:16

"Savage Bob did the heavy lifting"   ,True but I'm not sure you should follow him down the rabbit hole . He did tend to make a few mistakes. To high a compression ratio for one, and a blowoff valve that never opened . (set for 15psi and he estimated he was running 10psi boost). One might consider a bit of research in to blown dragster motors ,some of these large motors put out 3000 hp  which is achieved by running high boost pressures on motors who's combustion ratios are only 5: 1. Lowering combustion ratio allows you to run more boost and make more hp. without exceeding 10.5 -11.5 :1 compression under full boost and therefore not creating ignition temperatures that our air cooled motor can't handle .(detonation/overheating ).

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Batman says it won't work so project is shut d
Reply #6 - 05/10/18 at 09:13:59

That escalated unnecessarily. A supercharged custom is certainly a cool project. Seeing how you are a new member, it seemed to me that Batman was simply alerting you of several known shortcomings of the LS650. But that's the fun of a custom project, overcoming technical problems with innovative solutions. There have been a number of recent projects that have stretched the envelop of what seems possible with the budget LS650/S40. Much can be accomplished with unlimited talent and funding. I look forward to reading about your progress and how you resolve the inerrant shortcomings and budget constraints of the original design.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/10/18 at 11:29:26

firmly believe I am too old and have put with with enough junk from people that I no longer must suffer fools lightly, and I will not.

I'm 63. I'm really good at a few things. When someone tries to pretend I'm not what I know I am, I'm not so patient now.
Do your thing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 05/10/18 at 12:56:52

My comments were advice ,  made to help guide you to  build a motor that would run at any speed ,with max hp,and not overheat. I never said it couldn't be done. I offered my opinion about running a hardtail thinking that the roads of WI may not be any better than those of any other state that sees hard winters in an effort to see that you might survive riding the bike.  you can choose to ignore anything I've said,  , My comments may have been blunt , but they weren't misleading. I wrongfully assumed being a Newbie ,that you were not aware of. the basic problems of to high a compression ratio with to much boost, (which I believe is Savage Bob's problem)perhaps if you had given us some idea of your age and background this misunderstanding could have been avoided (your bad).good luck on your project!

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #9 - 05/10/18 at 19:56:05

As Savage riders and builders, we're all on the right side. Let's get a cold one.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 05/10/18 at 20:47:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/10/18 at 11:29:26:
I'm 63. I'm really good at a few things. When someone tries to pretend I'm not what I know I am, I'm not so patient now.
Do your thing.

Yeah ,really really good at chicken rustlin !!!

« Last Edit: 05/11/18 at 02:43:36 by Dave »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 05/11/18 at 00:45:49

Well, yeah, that is one of my many talents.
Hey! You weren't being nice,  
You can get your own supper.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/11/18 at 03:23:53

I would like to see the thread returned to a state of "normality".

How about track racer returning his title to what it was originally, and I can delete all the posts that are not constructive or related to the build topic.

We can begin this thread again knowing that track racer is not a novice and is aware that he is building a "project" bike that is not going to be a "touring" bike....and that he does have other bikes to use when he wants to go riding.

track racer can then continue documenting his build without the distractions that occurred in the first few posts.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #13 - 05/11/18 at 04:03:51

hotrod wrote on 05/10/18 at 19:56:05:
As Savage riders and builders, we're all on the right side. Let's get a cold one.

^^ What he said!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #14 - 05/11/18 at 04:05:15

Dave wrote on 05/11/18 at 03:23:53:
I would like to see the thread returned to a state of "normality".

How about track racer returning his title to what it was originally, and I can delete all the posts that are not constructive or related to the build topic.

We can begin this thread again knowing that track racer is not a novice and is aware that he is building a "project" bike that is not going to be a "touring" bike....and that he does have other bikes to use when he wants to go riding.

track racer can then continue documenting his build without the distractions that occurred in the first few posts.

Nah! leave it as it is man (ok, maybe change the title back), that's just the rough and tumble of the Interwebs!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 19:43:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Blown Savage in a speedway racer? Crazy talk!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.