Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Savage on Gravel Roads? (Read 319 times)
akhsha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Savage on Gravel Roads?
Reply #15 - 11/13/20 at 10:59:50

I feel uniquely qualified to answer this question.

In the past year I've owned an S40 and a TU250X and I've ridden both on gravel/dirt with a passenger.

I'm 5'11" and about 170lbs, my passenger is 5'6" and slim

I bought a TU250X in March with my girlfriend at the time in Northern rural NM and we gallivanted around the countryside for about a month on the TU250X. We both have a license, sometimes she would drive and other times I would. It was an absolute BLAST. I loved riding that TU250X around the dessert. Granted, it only topped out around 65mph with both of us on it, so highways were out of the question.

After spending a month out in NM, it was time for me to head home to the east coast, and since flying was more or less out of the question back in May/June, I bought myself a slightly larger bike to head home on, my 2009 S40. It was the right price with very low miles and seemed pretty easy to maintain. We had both bikes for a few weeks, and occasionally we would take the S40 out together instead of the TU250X. I've got to say that the S40 was much less fun on dirt/gravel. If it weren't for the fact that I had to ride across the country, I would much rather own a TU250X than the S40. I do still take the S40 on the highways back east occasionally, and I'll say that it's way better than the 250 for highway riding.

Also, quick note about the Intruder shocks (I have them on my bike). I don't think it's as simple as people here are letting on. It's a bit of an "if you give a mouse a cookie" situation.
If you put intruder shocks on your savage, you're going to need to either remove your passenger footpegs, or swap your muffler out for a harley muffler. This involves fabricating an adapter pipe and finding the right muffler (easier said than done). You're also going to have to change out a few screws that will now be rubbing on your belt, but a chain drive would negate that. Also, you'll need to grind down three parts on your belt cover that will now be grinding on your belt/pulley. Next, you'll need to adjust your seat, because it'll be pushing you forward into your tank even more than it was before the shock swap since the bike is leaned forward. Also you'll need to adjust your headlight, which will now be pointed at the ground. All of this stuff is easy, but it involves a few trips to the local Ace and takes a few days to get right.
Also, now that you've changed your muffler, you'll need to retune your carb. That white spacer is an absolute b**** to get to if you're a novice wrencher like myself.

Lastly, those forward controls are really inconvenient for riding on gravel/dirt, and I'd like to change mine out as soon as I have the time and money (who ever has both at the same time???)

I do enjoy riding around on my savage, and wrenching on it, plus it was a great price, but it's not the best option if you want something that's dirt/gravel friendly.

2009 S40 with about 11k miles.
Verslavy, Raptor petcock, 12.5" shocks, harley muffler, 55 pilot jet, half size nylon washer.
  IP Logged
DustyCrusty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 11/13/20 at 17:37:51

Great info from all. I really appreciate it.

Akysha, (previus poster) Did changing out the shocks to intruder shocks have any positive or negative  effects for gravel riding? How about for pavement riding?

IP Logged
akhsha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 11/14/20 at 06:03:40

I personally like the bike a lot more with the intruder shocks. It's more responsive on pavement for sure, the ride is a little gentler over potholes. Biggest difference offroad is the ground clearance. I bottomed out at least once back in NM, but that hasn't been an issue since getting back east and swapping the shocks. There isn't much dirt or gravel here though, so I'm mostly on pavement now anyways

2009 S40 with about 11k miles.
Verslavy, Raptor petcock, 12.5" shocks, harley muffler, 55 pilot jet, half size nylon washer.
  IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 11/14/20 at 13:05:02

DustyCrusty wrote on 11/11/20 at 19:47:51:
Thanks for the input all. I hope to hear more. The thought of longer rear shocks is interesting. That should decrease the rake angle and trail distance. I'll have to remember my old trigonometry and see if I can work out the rake and trail differences.

As you understand. this is a forum for those that like Savage/or s40 its a bias for this bike here!
We dont say this is the bike for everyone.. for everething!
In any case its 650 big thumper, there are torque if one need it.
In the other case, if I get a girlfriend or a wife that realy loves to ride on the backseat, I probably gonna buy me a bike whit a bigger frame.
To the other topic about gravel roads.. its mostly about the tires.
Dont bother about rebuilding your bike for another purpose anyhow, buy the right bike for your purpose at least befor you  rebuild it!
Its this, those of my friends that ride Ducati Scramblers rides on tarmak tires, they juste like the look of it.. kind  od ofroad bikes!

IP Logged
DustyCrusty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 12/02/20 at 16:34:50

[img][/img]Just picked up a 2016 that had been dropped. Tested her out today and am pleasantly surprised. Nice ride. Good suspension. Very adequate power. Handles not bad on moderately loose gravel roads. A real pleasure on pavement. Got it for a song. $2000 canadian or about $15 US dollars.
But it needs some work. Needs a battery, The famous head plug oil leak needs  fixing. Tank was damaged and filled and painted with a rattle can.
I'm turning this one into a bobber so it needs some mods anyways. Bar hopper / city bike.
I think I might pick up another to use as my camping bike for occasional 2 up riding.
Thanks all. I appreciate all the input.

P1070965.JPG
  IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #20 - 12/04/20 at 23:04:40

Congratulations on the bike! This was a cool thread, I hope you'll continue to update with what you do with your bike.

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 12/07/20 at 16:45:09

DustyCrusty wrote on 12/02/20 at 16:34:50:
[img][/img]Just picked up a 2016 that had been dropped. Tested her out today and am pleasantly surprised. Nice ride. Good suspension. Very adequate power. Handles not bad on moderately loose gravel roads. A real pleasure on pavement. Got it for a song. $2000 canadian or about $15 US dollars.
But it needs some work. Needs a battery, The famous head plug oil leak needs  fixing. Tank was damaged and filled and painted with a rattle can.
I'm turning this one into a bobber so it needs some mods anyways. Bar hopper / city bike.
I think I might pick up another to use as my camping bike for occasional 2 up riding.
Thanks all. I appreciate all the input.

In ayway, I love all I can see in the picture.
Its black as my 2000 Savage, but I altso have grey strips on the fuel tank!
And I got the sissybar, dont know if its comfortable at all.. but its on my bike.
WTF.. a 2016.. its amoste brand new, could anybody have destroid that much.. exept the paintings?
And to the oil leak.. I got somting similar, but not don enything about it, becuse its not getting any worse, a cosmetic issue. Coul be that extra nut in the front that need some thightening?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/24/24 at 05:24:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage on Gravel Roads?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.