Send Topic Print
Battery draining. (Read 87 times)
Rich McLuvvin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Battery draining.
10/28/20 at 18:13:52

Hey. I just bought an old savage which was fine for the first week or so but then I left it a week and the battery was dead (it had been strong for the first week). I jump started it with my car and let it run for 20 minutes.  As soon as I switched it off, the battery was dead again. Did this several times. Not even the neutral light would illuminate. What would make the battery drain completely and not charge?

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Battery draining.
Reply #1 - 11/23/20 at 12:33:03

Rich McLuvvin wrote on 10/28/20 at 18:13:52:
Hey. I just bought an old savage which was fine for the first week or so but then I left it a week and the battery was dead (it had been strong for the first week). I jump started it with my car and let it run for 20 minutes.  As soon as I switched it off, the battery was dead again. Did this several times. Not even the neutral light would illuminate. What would make the battery drain completely and not charge?

My battery lasted one year, after I bout this 2000 Savage!
Its this, batterys are shelf ware, they dont last indefinitly!
Suddenly they are broken!
It happend to my cars to.
In anyway I bout my a new AGM battery and a trickle charger, I got the trickle charger first, put it on my old battery,, there are led lamps on the carger and those told me, no conection, the old battery was dead!
Then I got my new AGM battery, it lights up the LED lamps, and sone got in a preservation state.
At this stage I put the new battery in my bike, (it was a menace) but it started after some tryes! Soo no problems whit the bike, it was the battery that got dead/broken/what ever!
Sooo even that Im old, im not to old learn, reading on this forum and talk to my biker friends!
Moste say that AGM batterys last longer, and one need to have a tricklecharger especialy for AGM batterys.
Becuse AGM batterys dont like to be discharged to much, to last.
The menace for our bike is that one need to remove the sadle to remove the side panels to losen the negative and to put the battery out to losen the positive and then the whole battery pack that is inside of the tool bracket at right side.

This is not a procedia that I like to do every year.. hope this AGM battery gonna last my life out.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/23/20 at 15:15:19

20 min at idle won't charge a battery.
30 min at freeway speeds will.
a trickle charger won't fully charge a battery in 24 hrs.

1st determine if it's charging

There are other things but determine that 1st.

WWW   IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/23/20 at 16:15:28

verslagen1 wrote on 11/23/20 at 15:15:19:
20 min at idle won't charge a battery.
30 min at freeway speeds will.
a trickle charger won't fully charge a battery in 24 hrs.

1st determine if it's charging

There are other things but determine that 1st.

My tricklecharger determent that my battry didnt take any charge at al.
And my car charger said the same, even on a jumpstart !
In anyway, batteryes gone broke, they dont last for ever!
I read on this forum, some suguest AGM batteries, I listen to my biker friends they al have trickle chargers and any sort of batteries.
Its this, if a battery is broken its broken.

In anyway my bike started on the new battery, one of the cheapest parts to change. (It was a menace to remove the sadle anyhow)!

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 12/01/20 at 21:43:19

My lead/acid battery failed after 5 years! Most shops here sell either Gel or AGM batteries, don't know which one is best ?
Cheers!  Cool
ps:  I always bring my batteries inside during the winter and charge them at the start of each month.

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/02/20 at 12:30:06

zipidachimp wrote on 12/01/20 at 21:43:19:
My lead/acid battery failed after 5 years! Most shops here sell either Gel or AGM batteries, don't know which one is best ?
Cheers!  Cool
ps:  I always bring my batteries inside during the winter and charge them at the start of each month.

I dont know better, but my biker friends and Youtube says that AGM batteries last longer? Its probably about mecanicaly things, becuse both Gel and AGM is same sort. another sort of lead acid batteries anyhowe.
I think.. AGM could be better, last longer then ordanary acid batteries on a bike, becuse of the mechanical benefits, there are no lose lead plates standing in acid, bikes do vibrates!
I Found that AGM cost only 10% more.. I giv it a chanse.

IP Logged
Seipgam
YaBB Newbies

Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Reply #6 - 12/03/20 at 14:58:24

"This is not a procedia that I like to do every year.. hope this AGM battery gonna last my life out."

Unless you plan on leaving this earth in the next 5-7 years then no, it won't last your life out.

Having said that, I don't know why anyone would root around with lead acid batteries these days when AGM, fully sealed batteries are available. I use Motobatt and have had a good run so far.
Either ride it regularly or keep it on the trickle charger and it will look after you.

Geoff.

2014 S40 Boulevard
1995 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
1954 Francis-Bernett Kestrel 66 122cc
  IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/07/20 at 13:32:51

Seipgam wrote on 12/03/20 at 14:58:24:
"This is not a procedia that I like to do every year.. hope this AGM battery gonna last my life out."

Unless you plan on leaving this earth in the next 5-7 years then no, it won't last your life out.

Having said that, I don't know why anyone would root around with lead acid batteries these days when AGM, fully sealed batteries are available. I use Motobatt and have had a good run so far.
Either ride it regularly or keep it on the trickle charger and it will look after you.

Geoff.

You got my on this one!
Im only 65 so I hope to live more then 5-7 years.
And did you know, im listend on my old biker friends and on this forum.. so I bout a AGM battery.. only 10% more then a ordanary acid battery!
To that, I bout my a tricklecharger, its a long winter in Sweden! :'(

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 03:02:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery draining.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.