Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Savage on Gravel Roads? (Read 319 times)
DustyCrusty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savage on Gravel Roads?
11/11/20 at 07:46:01

Hi folks.
My camping bike is a Suzuki TU250X. I ride about 30% on gravel and dirt roads while the remaining 70% is on pavement. Occasionally with my wife on the back. Handling is not bad. I have to adjust my speed depending on how loose the gravel is. It's a bit tense on real loose rolling gravel.
I'd like a bit more power and am considering a savage. I would convert the belt drive to chain to avoid damaging the belt. Mid controls would definitely help but that is a lot of work and expense so I probably would not do that.

I know there are better options for the riding I would be doing but I am restricted to the 43" height of a bike to clear the canopy of my truck. I like the savage style and the power would be a great improvement on the pavement compared to the TU250X.

What are everyone's experiences on gravel?'
Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Savage on Gravel Roads?
Reply #1 - 11/11/20 at 09:08:13

I think there are better options,... but if something draws you to the Savage, I'd say a chain drive and 12" rear shocks would go a long way to making it more gravel friendly. You can buy 800 Intruder shocks used for under $50.
Keep in mind, the 15" rear wheel makes DP tires impossible without a wheel swap.

In my experience, the Savage does self correct out a slide pretty well.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 11/11/20 at 09:12:33

I live on a dirt/gravel road that’s 1/3 mile to the pavement, and out here your paved road can just stop and turn dirt until ... and I do try to avoid them if possible.  That said, our dirt/gravel section is not a problem with a little speed on the gravel portions.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 11/11/20 at 09:57:32

KTM 390 Adventure or a BMW G 310GS. They are designed for gravel roads.

A Honda Monkey 125, Trail 125 or CB300 would be a better choice.

Even a RE500...

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/11/20 at 12:57:35

DustyCrusty wrote on 11/11/20 at 07:46:01:
Hi folks.
My camping bike is a Suzuki TU250X. I ride about 30% on gravel and dirt roads while the remaining 70% is on pavement. Occasionally with my wife on the back. Handling is not bad. I have to adjust my speed depending on how loose the gravel is. It's a bit tense on real loose rolling gravel.
I'd like a bit more power and am considering a savage. I would convert the belt drive to chain to avoid damaging the belt. Mid controls would definitely help but that is a lot of work and expense so I probably would not do that.

I know there are better options for the riding I would be doing but I am restricted to the 43" height of a bike to clear the canopy of my truck. I like the savage style and the power would be a great improvement on the pavement compared to the TU250X.

What are everyone's experiences on gravel?'
Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

There are always better options, I got some friends that ride Ducati Scramblers!
In any case I was in for an Intruder, drive shaft and such a things, but suddenly, I found out there is a big thumper they cald Savage.. and fell in love imedetly! After that I found this forum.. ist great about Savage and S40 Boulevard!
At this summer I happend to be on a gravel road, totaly panic, not that it was dificult but mostly becuse my bike is in almoste mint condition, I dont want to damage anything!
In any case.. its a big thumper, 650 cubic engin, there are a lot of torque, if one only dont hesitates as I did!
But on the other hand.. I didnt ride whit a wife on the rear seat.
If I got my a girlfriend that love to ride on the back seat I probably would by my a bigger bike.. but only if she loves to ride on the back seat.. preferaly a Intruder/Marouder kind of bike.
In any case I like the belt, its not a drive shaft, it doesent ned any lubrication, it seldom snap of in any case!

To the others, I got brand new tarmack tires.. its this, different tires for different riding.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #5 - 11/11/20 at 14:06:33

The Savage is a pretty sedate bike, but the torque at low speed can catch you off guard on gravel.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 11/11/20 at 17:17:49

I think this bike would be a real turd on gravel.  The narrow handlebars and forward controls will make it impossible to get off the seat if needed.  The TU250x is a much better choice.  Even better would be any dual sport bike you can find.

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #7 - 11/11/20 at 18:45:24

I like to ride my savage on the back roads around here in the hills
I am an old returning rider that hadnt ridden for years so was as nervous as hell on gravel at first .The deep stuff I take slower but I find if I keep a loose grip on the bars and let the bike find its own way a bit and keep the hand off the front brake and ride as smooth as possible very little happens
The PO fitted wider standard lower bars to this bike and  I think that is a help also. I can get off the seat easy but only do that on speed bumps in town.

Hiko   IP Logged
DustyCrusty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/11/20 at 19:47:51

Thanks for the input all. I hope to hear more. The thought of longer rear shocks is interesting. That should decrease the rake angle and trail distance. I'll have to remember my old trigonometry and see if I can work out the rake and trail differences.

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #9 - 11/12/20 at 00:55:44

Really dont like this bike on gravel. Mine is raised in the back and lowered in the front and just handled pretty bad.  Cruising along it was ok, but trying to slow down it just wanted to wash out and turning is a joke. Im sure its the rake and weight distribution and how I personally have mine set up.  But I dumped it twice and would rather not go in the soft loose gravel with this bike.  But I put on some semi knobby tires thinking that would do the trick. Maybe for mud, didnt help at all in gravel.

Just for reference I have ridden and raced since my poop was green so its not just me being a goon.

WWW   IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/12/20 at 06:22:22

I have had many dual sport bikes over the years, 200cc - 650cc, and my 1990 DR650 was the best handling gravel bike of them all. Don't know why. It just didn't squirm around and went where you steered it.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 11/12/20 at 07:28:51

ckahleer wrote on 11/12/20 at 06:22:22:
I have had many dual sport bikes over the years, 200cc - 650cc, and my 1990 DR650 was the best handling gravel bike of them all. Don't know why. It just didn't squirm around and went where you steered it.

Rake and Trail. You can't have slow/lazy steering on loose gravel/soil. The DR has low rake and trail, whereas the LS is almost asleep at the wheel.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 11/12/20 at 08:01:10

I also believe you don't want wide tires on gravel......a big footprint just makes more marbles under the tread! Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 11/12/20 at 09:54:53

I do just fine on any gravel unless it’s a >3” layer of small gravel.  I could probably do that too if I up the speed but haven’t needed to much.  I usually ride in 2nd gear and on occasion have kicked in 3rd.  
Desert racers do great with higher speeds.  It works, according to terrain dictates of course.
It all depends on what you’ve got to work with.

I’ve used wider bars for a long time, you get more control; just makes sense.  And I have stock forward let’s and stand frequently for road irregularities or whatever.   I’m 71 and it’s easy to stand up for me.

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #14 - 11/12/20 at 16:04:55

Quote:
 Rake and Trail. You can't have slow/lazy steering on loose gravel/soil. The DR has low rake and trail, whereas the LS is almost asleep at the wheel.

I tend to think thats a good thing for my sedate style of riding
The savage has relatively heavy  wheels ..big gyroscopes that want to keep you going straight  I find by letting it do its thing with a loose grip on the bars and riding smooth it does very well
My bars are wide which also helps
 I could be wrong but thats my feeling
 Now a scooter with small light wheels would be an entirely different thing I think

Hiko   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 04:46:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage on Gravel Roads?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.