Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Neutral between 1-2 and 4-5 (Read 174 times)
Icey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Neutral between 1-2 and 4-5
09/22/20 at 05:55:04

Hi Forum,

So i've been having this issue when changing gears from 1st to 2nd and 4th to 5th, the bike will go into neutral, instead of 2nd or 5th gear. Now i know that older bikes (mine's from 94) have a big neutral gear, so this problem will occur more often. But it is starting to annoy me alot. Especially when in higher RPM's the bike just won't get into gear, until i let the RPM's drop down significantly.

I simply can't accelerate quickly in a reliable way. Anyone has had this problem or a fix for it?

ps. CLutch plates and oil have been replaced recently.

Thanks in advance! Smiley

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Neutral between 1-2 and 4-5
Reply #1 - 09/22/20 at 06:47:07

Well, hitting neutral between 1st and 2nd is "natural" because there's actually a neutral between them. However between 4th and 5th it's not. Hitting a false neutral can be an indication of a worn shift drum, but because it is happening between 1st and 2nd, it suggests that you need to adjust your shift lever (closer to your foot) so you get more throw from your shifts.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/22/20 at 07:22:14

Instead of solving the problem by going at it more carefully, go see how fast you can rip through the gears.

Well, questions first..

Have you had trouble at a stop,getting in first and gotten frisky with it?
Dropped on left side?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/22/20 at 08:13:09

Some folks have improved the 4-5 shift with a lever height adjustment.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 09/22/20 at 08:33:02

I'll add to my first post, be sure to lube the linkage. I would first clean it with WD-40, and then lube it with a shot of white lithium grease.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #5 - 09/22/20 at 09:12:02

Check under the left side case that the linkage is not hitting. People have moved the linkage on the spline where it comes out of the tranny, THAT IS WRONG. To adjust the shifter you shorten or lenghten the linkage pushrod. Moving it on the spline will cause interfernce that will give you all kinds of issues. Most bikes moving the shift lever on the spline is correct, but not ours.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 09/22/20 at 18:12:13

My bike is balky between 4th and 5th.  Even with a linkage-less shift lever.  

I did have an issue with a bent linkage when it was stock.  Shifting was spongy and then the linkage broke.  

« Last Edit: 09/23/20 at 05:04:46 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
Icey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/23/20 at 00:08:41

so what you guys are saying possible fixes are:
1. Shortening the linkage pushrod from the lever to the spline shaft
2. getting a new shift drum (bike only has 8000 miles on it though)

answers to other questions:
1. yes, i have had a bit of problems downshifting as well. When i don't downshift whilst driving, but downshift when i'm standing still, sometimes it doesn't work. Doesn't bother me too much though. I use engine braking alot, so it rarely occurs.
2. nope, I didnt drop it on the side (previous owner might have?) so why?

Could it be a worn out clutch housing? I remember from working on mopeds that these kind of problems could occur from a worn clutch housing. don't remember why anymore, perhaps one of you guys know it.

Thx!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/23/20 at 04:40:41

At 8,000 miles, nothing is worn out.
How many miles have YOU ridden it?
You don't downshift until you've stopped?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Icey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/23/20 at 04:56:57

Only 1000 miles on my name so far. And yes, i do downshift whilst riding. I prefer engine braking so i shift alot before standing still.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #10 - 09/23/20 at 05:07:12

When it doesn't shift while standing still, let the clutch out slightly, pull it back in, and try again. Don't stab at the shift lever, it will get bent.  Once bent, it can break which is no fun.

Also, why were the clutch plates replaced with so little miles?  What kind of oil is being used?  You don't want to use any old car oil.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #11 - 09/23/20 at 05:19:57

Icey wrote on 09/23/20 at 00:08:41:
so what you guys are saying possible fixes are:
1. Shortening the linkage pushrod from the lever to the spline shaft
2. getting a new shift drum (bike only has 8000 miles on it though)

--------------------
You forgot to add...
3.  Lube and inspect the shift linkage for possible damage.*
4.  This bike is known to not shift to 5th very well (search it up).  Mine gets the double tap often.
5.  JOG is suggesting that you might need to improve your skills. Grin

As for the clutch...I doubt wear is an issue, but it might not be properly adjusted.  You want a little play in the lever while getting as much pull as possible.  Cutch adjustment is a bit finicky on this bike and it will affect shifting if it doesn't disengage fully when pulled.

I would inspect the linkage (you'll have to lay under the bike or lay it on it's side) and then make sure the clutch is properly adjusted.  Adjusting the linkage will mainly affect lever height which may make it easier to shift, but not directly change the performance of the bike.

Since you don't know the history of the bike you need to check this:

*badwolf wrote on 09/22/20 at 09:12:02:
Check under the left side case that the linkage is not hitting. People have moved the linkage on the spline where it comes out of the tranny, THAT IS WRONG. To adjust the shifter you shorten or lenghten the linkage pushrod. Moving it on the spline will cause interfernce that will give you all kinds of issues. Most bikes moving the shift lever on the spline is correct, but not ours.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 09/23/20 at 10:27:12

I would suggest a quicker, more , uhhh,, enthusiastic, shift from fourth.
Its not at all uncommon for me to not use the clutch between second and third, and on up..A quick roll off of the throttle, I use an open palm and slap it shut and raise my toe with some gusto,, no drama,, no jumping, clacking or thumping,,just an instant gear change,, But,, If thats not something ya wanna try, just get some clutch and roll off the gas and lift the toe, it doesnt need to take 2 seconds,, Dont give the gears time to slow down,, Itll go without hurting anything. Clutch doesnt need to come all the way back,, to find out how far it really has to go, put A finger on it just rolling along, not accelerating, and just gently squeeze,, it slips with almost no clutch travel,, just a bit more and its disengaged plenty for a change,
Upshifting can be done with more gusto and not risk bending the shifter rod, because its pulling on it. Downshifting and not having luck, particularly when youre stopped, if ya start gettin frisky with it, thats when they bend,,
SO,, if youve had problems at a stop gettin it to downshift and banged on the shifter, you might wanna check that rod,, because a bent rod can make shifting iffy,,
Sittin in neutral with the clutch in is setting it up to screw up.
Gotta bounce the plates offa each other and spin the transmission guts up, then it'll fall in,,

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 09/23/20 at 18:18:11

Icey, to expand on what Badwolf has advised, I thought I would add some pictures.  

The linkage/lever on the shift shaft only gets installed in one position.  My 2016 LS has a mark.  The slot in the lever has to line up with the mark.  See how the punch mark on the shaft lines up with the slot in the lever.

Shift_Linkage_Alignment_Mark_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 09/23/20 at 18:20:14

When the lever is correctly aligned with the mark on the shaft, there should be ample clearance between the bottom of the alternator cover and the shift linkage rod.

Shift_Linkage_Clearance_Normal_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 00:33:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Neutral between 1-2 and 4-5

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.