Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Backfiring  - All the time - Wide open Throttle (Read 183 times)
Chris911
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Backfiring  - All the time - Wide open Throttle
09/19/20 at 10:39:39

Hello:

My name is Chris and a friend of mine just bought a 1996 LS650, and I am tasked with making it run for him.

The motorcycle had sat for many years, so I began by cleaning the carb in my ultrasonic tank, and then rebuilding it.  I also replaced the floats.

The petcock was bad, so I replaced it with a K and L that looks like the factory piece.

But now it is hard to start.  And when it does start, it backfires like crazy.  I get it that these are jetted lean, but there is more going on here.  If I hold it wide open, the backfiring is awful, and the pipe is really heating up.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I have searched this forum for weeks and have seen no similar issues.

Thanks so much.  I am sure that as caretaker of this motorcycle, I will be on this forum a lot, LOL.

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Re: Backfiring  - All the time - Wide open Throttl
Reply #1 - 09/19/20 at 12:18:41

Clymer handbook states:

leaking spark plug cap and or cables.
Ignition timing incorect,
Leaking in and / or outlet valve. Lips Sealed
Or the springs broken.
I would measure the compression first.
Must be at least 114psi (service limit). Normal is 142-200 psi.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/19/20 at 13:50:53

The petcock was bad, so I replaced it with a K and L that looks like the factory piece.

A link to that petcock might help.

KNowing the tubing inside diameter of the petcock outlet, not the rubber gas line, could be good to know.
If you added an inline filter, remove it.

Check the float height by putting  piece of clear(ish) tubing on the bowl drain nipple. Hold the tubing up next to the junction of the bowl with the carb body. Thats where the fuel level should be.
Did ya clean out the tank? Was it rusty? Is it possible the petcock filters are clogged with junk?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chris911
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/19/20 at 14:15:24

Justin, no.  The petcock filter is clean.  I like your method of checking the float height.  I just installed the new float as-is.  I hope that is OK.

I will do some more checking and report back.

Z, the motorcycle only has about 2000 miles, it should be OK.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #4 - 09/19/20 at 18:16:37

Has it got the stock muffler or open pipes?

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Chris911
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/19/20 at 18:19:45

Stock muffler.  It is completely blued.  All of it.  And it was so hot, it actually shot "soot" on the case in front of the oil check window.

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #6 - 09/19/20 at 18:22:03

My guess is super lean or you have bad valves or they are out of adjustment and staying open. Rare to have them popping like crazy with the throttle open.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/19/20 at 20:47:09

If anyone adjusted valves
Which way did they turn the crankshaft to get tdc?
What other mistakes could create this?

Don't remember seeing model and miles, don't wanna go back from here.

Okay, 96 model

Miles?
Any other work that has been done
And when,

But now it is hard to start.

When did that start?
The more details about
How long it sat
Why was it parked
When did trouble start
What was it doing
Give up the 411, duuude.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chris911
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/20/20 at 04:37:32

You are killing me!  LOL

Sat for about seven or eight years.  

I'll be back on it today.  Can't do the compression check, as the plug hole is too small for my tester.

I took off the tank and used my "IV Bag" for gas, and the carb promptly overflowed all over the left side of the cylinder.  Now I have to remove it once again!  I put in the floats with the carb in situ, as I always use allen head bolts for the float bowl, but now I think I need to explore further.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/20/20 at 04:55:19

I put in the floats with the carb in situ..

Yeah,, standing on yer head,, probably not the most advantageous position for such work.
Removing and reinstalling the same float, of known proper adjustment would be a different thing..
Dont sweat the compression,, probably not an issue,, Unless after sitting the rings werent at all oiled, which is a real possibility.. But now that its been run, the walls are oiled,, hopefully no damage was done. OIling prior to starting would have been an ace idea..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 09/20/20 at 05:12:58

I assume the battery is new - have you checked the battery voltage?  The ignition system requires full voltage for correct spark....even a new battery can be defective and not provide the correct voltage.  The weird part about a Savage is the battery can have enough voltage to run the starter - but not enough to provide good spark.

Did you replace the spark plug?

Do you know why the bike was parked?  Was it running well when it was last ridden?

Why would you run a popping/backfiring engine long enough to blue the pipe?  If the engine is not running properly and is not able to start and respond to throttle - there really is no need to run it for more than a few seconds before you shut it off and start looking for the problem.

If the next carb cleaning doesn't resolve the issue - I suggest you at least try adjusting the valves to confirm the timing is correct on the cam and that the valves have proper clearance.  If the valves are not within a few thousands of having the proper clearance....I would suspect the engine has worn cam lobes and rockers - this is a common problem on engines that were run with oil having a low ZDDP content (modern car or motorcycle oil).  I worked on a bike with 3,500 miles that had worn rockers and camshaft.......the owner used "regular" oil and would start the bike and let it idle often to charge the battery in the winter months, and this wore the camshaft and rockers out as a result of the low ZDDP level and the low oil pressure/flow that occurs at idle speeds (it also blues the exhaust pipe as there is no air flow to keep it cool).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/20/20 at 08:11:15

Before you reinstall the carburetor, use the IV bag to verify it is not overflowing while the carburetor is on the work bench.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 09/20/20 at 08:32:05

Chris911 wrote on 09/19/20 at 10:39:39:

Is this new petcock vacuum operated?...
I ask because there is a vacuum tap on the right side of the carb... if that is not connected or blocked you will have a massive air leak/lean condition.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 09/20/20 at 18:07:11

Assuming that no one crappity smacked the bike up before it got parked, a bike with 2k miles doesn't just have their valve go out of adjustment form sitting for years.

More likely is that the carb was gooped up form sitting, which is where the OP smartly started.  There is a lot right there that needs to happen.

First, the fuel tank needs to be cleaned and the petcock need to be fully functioning. Let's assume any crap that might have been in the tank was flushed with the installation of the new petcock.  BUT, is this aftermarket petcock functioning properly?  And are we using the stock airbox? Aftermarket pod filters can be an issue.

Next, don't replace anything inside of the carb with aftermarket parts. Put the original floats back in or replace with new OEM parts.  Make sure all of the jets are clean or replace with OEM parts.  Make sure the main jet and pilot jet didn't get switched the the main air jet and pilot air jet that are supposed to be installed in the top of the carb.  Make sure the diaphragm and slide are functioning properly (my best guess at what's wrong).

Stick with fuel the delivery issues.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/20/20 at 18:44:01

Just soaking one isn't all.
Gotta shoot something through the little passages. I like Chemtool, B 12, not cheap, but good
Absolutely must not let any hit an eyeball.
Ventilation is important.

And yeah, unless someone decided to mess with the valves and didn't Know how,, odds are, they aren't the problem.
They might need adjusted, but they aren't the problem.
Was the whole pipe blue when you first saw it?
If no
Then it wasn't doing that before.

Good questions are waiting for answers.
Whoever rode it last could help all of us.

How big is the inside diameter of the outlet feeding the carb?
Did you add an inline filter?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 23:21:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring  - All the time - Wide open Throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.