Send Topic Print
Raptor petcock failure (Read 91 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Raptor petcock failure
09/13/20 at 12:44:50

Anyone have this happen?!  Went for a ride, heading for the hills.  Wait, why does the back of my thigh feel wet?!  Look down and the bike is puking gas.

Screenshot_20200913-134310.png

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Raptor petcock failure
Reply #1 - 09/13/20 at 13:07:55

Thats a new one,, and WAY uncool..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 09/13/20 at 13:15:03

Just made it home, but I doubt I can trust that petcock without replacing it.  Weather just turned amazing and this was my first chance at a real pleasure ride all year.  I know, minor annoyance in the scheme of things, but it is frustrating just given the timing of the beautiful weather.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 09/13/20 at 13:15:14

I have had that happen, twice! But it was while pulling off the fuel line, not riding.
I shoved it back in and gave it a light rap with a hammer and it worked fine,,,,, untl I pulled the fuel line again.
Never bothered while riding.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 09/13/20 at 13:29:01

badwolf, did you replace the faulty petcock or are you still riding with it?
My roadside repair was to pull the fuel line, shove the brass fitting back in, place the plastic handle of a screwdriver on it and tap the screwdriver with a wrench.  I turned around and went home rather than chance getting up in the canyons with an unknown like this.

Maybe this is another thumper vibration "feature".

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #5 - 09/13/20 at 16:15:39

It is still on there. I thought about using J B weld to seal it but it has been fine if I leave the fuel line on.
Hold a big hammer behind it and tap it in with a smaller hammer. (I can't fix anything with just one hammer!)
You could drain the tank and remove the petcock and try maybe a vice to squeeze it in ???
It's brass and cast aluminum so perhaps it could be soldered?

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #6 - 09/13/20 at 16:46:18

funny enough thats the reason i replaced the stock petcock.
Tocsik wrote on 09/13/20 at 12:44:50:
Anyone have this happen?!  Went for a ride, heading for the hills.  Wait, why does the back of my thigh feel wet?!  Look down and the bike is puking gas.

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/13/20 at 17:17:52

It happens. Happened to me once on a Honda petcock. Not while riding, but when pulling off a hose.
I would try to JB weld it for temporary use, and order a new S40 vacuum petcock.
I'm to forgetful for manual petcocks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 09/14/20 at 03:06:18

JBWeld is not fuel proof, and will soften when it is exposed to fuel.

I have never had this happen on a Raptor Petcock -  I have had it happen on a few petcocks on vintage bikes while taking off the aged and shrunken hoses.  I have never had one of them come apart again after cleaning them with acetone or lacquer thinner and gently tapping them back together.

It is just a press fit from the factory.....just do as Badwolf suggests and tap it back together.  Put the brass tube in the freezer if you want to shrink it a small amount.

If you can find a threadlocker of super glue that is fuel proof......then you could use some of that - but they don't do that when they build these petcocks.

Is this a "real" Yamaha petcock....or one of the Chinese copies?  The real Yamaha part has a brass tube that is drawn and has a formed bulged on the hose end......the copies have a machined brass tube with a few ridges machined into the brass.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 09/14/20 at 06:16:07

It's the real-deal Yammy brand.  I was wondering how they were joined at the factory.  I ordered a new one to be safe.  Haven't disconnected the fuel line in a long time so not sure why this popped out with the bike in use.  I don't mind $30 for peace of mind when I may be up on the Peak To Peak highway a bit the next couple of months  Smiley.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 06:12:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor petcock failure

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.