Send Topic Print
Brake caliper rattle? (Read 52 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Brake caliper rattle?
09/01/20 at 17:40:53

Anyone have it?  Chasing a front end rattle forever and it seems it may be the caliper.  Bolts are all torqued to specs.  Brake works great (had to get on it hard today from an idiot!) But it does wiggle just a bit by hand.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Brake caliper rattle?
Reply #1 - 09/01/20 at 18:18:02

The caliper has to slide from side to side a little bit on the guides. That's normal. There is a little sheet metal spring in the caliper that keeps the pads tight in the caliper. It's actually called an antirattle spring. If it's damaged or missing the pads will bounce around and rattle.

Part # 4 on this diagram:

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2006-suzuki-boulevard-s40-ls650/o/m14760...

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #2 - 09/02/20 at 03:24:52

I suggest checking your rotor aint bent.  If its warped it will bounce your caliper back and forth.

It shouldn't be too hard to just see if they are. But another indication of looseness or warped parts up front are found if you do a small ride and only use your rear brake.  Once stopped feel your front brakes, If your front brakes are smoking hot they are likely warped a bit and rubbing the pads back and forth.

WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 09/02/20 at 07:08:08

Recently changed pads and the rotor.  Anti rattle clip was there and the new-ish rotor was nice and flat.
The movement is the rest of the caliper itself relative to the mounting bracket that attaches to the lower outer fork tube.  It's probably normal movement (slight), but seems like it could be the source of the rattle/thunk sound I hear on rougher roads.  Which is pretty much all of the Denver metropolitan and suburban area Angry.  The sound isn't a buzzing or fast rattle.  More like a single noise on more pronounced bumps.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 09/02/20 at 08:31:48

I just went out to the garage and gave my caliper a shake. If I shove it back and forth on the slide pins, and twist it at the same time I can make it rattle. It's just audible in a quiet garage with the bike stationary and not running.

My front brake is fine, and I've never heard this while riding the bike so I suspect it's normal.
Of course I wear a full face helmet and foam earplugs when I ride, So unless the caliper fell off and was bouncing against the spokes I don't think I'd hear anything anyway.

If you are getting a single clunk over bumps your noise might be something else.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 09/02/20 at 13:39:05

Thanks.  I'll probably keep looking.

Grin -->   ...Of course I wear a full face helmet and foam earplugs when I ride, So unless the caliper fell off and was bouncing against the spokes I don't think I'd hear anything anyway... [/quote]

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 07:30:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake caliper rattle?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.